• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beginners' Luck?

skimike

Hi everyone,
My friend and I are New Hampshire-bound this coming Sunday-Wed. with our 11-year-old beginners, staying in central NH around Hebron, and seeking advice about the best downhill areas in terms of shortest lift lines & forgiving slopes -- our options are Ragged, Waterville Valley, Loon, Dartmouth Valley & Gunstock (and maybe some we're missing?)

Any pointers appreciated. Thanks!!!

hammer

Ragged's been suffering this season, but after this storm they should have a good amount of terrain open. They have a separate beginner area that may be open, a nice wide green trail in front of the lodge, and IIRC they have greens that go down from the summit as well.

Gunstock's also a good choice...they have a separate beginner area as well, and they also have some good length tubing lanes if you need to take a break from skiing.

I'd stay away from the bigger places (Sunapee, Waterville, Loon) over the 3-day weekend...crowds will be insane.

Enjoy...your timing this season couldn't have been better.

Vortex

Probably to late, but Ragged spiked the rates back up. I was there last Sat it was a shame. 1.5 runs and $35 To much money. Adult know will be $49.

They opened alot of stuff with the 1 foot plus, but don't think that will be enough snow. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll be there Sat for a Comp for my son. I'm watching not buying a ticket unless its alot better. I mean alot.
Like to support the small places, but needs to be of value. JMO

For Value go to Cannon, for small home town feel, hard to be Pats. Very affordable. I'll be at Ragged Sat Event, Waterville Sunday Event, Loon Monday Day, Pats Monday night. I expect crowds at each place. Ragged has events on both Sat and Sunday.

no matter what timing is good.

hammer

Probably to late, but Ragged spiked the rates back up. I was there last Sat it was a shame. 1.5 runs and $35 To much money. Adult know will be $49.

They opened alot of stuff with the 1 foot plus, but don't think that will be enough snow. Hope I'm wrong.

I'll be there Sat for a Comp for my son. I'm watching not buying a ticket unless its alot better. I mean alot.
Like to support the small places, but needs to be of value. JMO

For Value go to Cannon, for small home town feel, hard to be Pats. Very affordable. I'll be at Ragged Sat Event, Waterville Sunday Event, Loon Monday Day, Pats Monday night. I expect crowds at each place. Ragged has events on both Sat and Sunday.

no matter what timing is good.
Good advice...forgot about Cannon.

Might want to check over at snowjournal.com...there's a member there who I believe is an instructor at Ragged. He'll most likely provide an update on the conditions.

Vortex

If Ragged did get enough snow then go for it. Great Bar, great lodge set up.. Like to see them survive.

I still would not rule out Cannon with its seperate beginner area. Matter of preference I guess.

My point is Loon, Waterville, Sunapee probably would be more crowded. Loon and Waterville will have the most off hill activities. Depends on what is most important.

ctenidae

Gunstock's a pretty good choice, beginner-wise. Even the intermediate slopes aren't bad, depending on how the kids progress.

Angus

given your locale, I'd have to agree gunstock, ragged (depending upon conditions), cannon (with the beginner area free but could be very cold) or the Dartmouth Skiway (never been but people love it for families)