• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loveland 5/7/16

dlague

LOVELAND

Conditions: PP and compressed powder from melting/rain

Trip Report:
With it being the last weekend for Loveland we decided to ski there for $38 with a season pass from any mountain. Son was $30. On the way we had varying weather conditions from rain and sun to hail the higher up we got. When we arrived it was sunny and in the 40s. We skied for about 2.5 hours before going in for lunch. The runs were very nice and carved perfectly. Bumps were soft and well spaced on the runs we skied off Chair 1. We skied several runs off Ptarmigan and then hit a few low angle glades off Chair 6. When we headed to Ptarmigan it got cloudy and started snowing but on the other side of the Continental Divide the clouds were dark and it was thundering with occasional sightings of lightning. They had closed down Chair 9. Areas that previously had powder had gotten compacted due to melting then refreezing but skied well and was pretty solid. Before heading in for lunch it was snowing chunks that reminded me of dipping dots. Even had the same texture.

After lunch we skied Ptarmigan some more nice chutes there and a nice glade run that parallels the lift. We then skied Chair 6 and then off Chair 1 when we noticed Chair 9 was open but we were beat by then from skiing bumps.

The entire ski area was covered and looked like mid winter. They reported 91% open. The parking lot was not that full and the trails were generally wide open.

Sad to see them close with 1630 acres still skiable. But they are required to close due to bird migratory patterns. Lame!

My wife had a bad head cold but wanted to ski on Mother's Day weekend. She is a trooper! Overall it was a great day and we were stoked about skiing in May and limited to one else trail. Now we will be off to A Basin for skiing into June!

http://arapahoebasin.blogspot.com/2016/05/june-5-or-longer.html?m=1

Attachments

• 1462933541590.jpg
    1462933541590.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 106
  • 1462933574533.jpg
    1462933574533.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1462933594124.jpg
    1462933594124.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 106
  • 1462933618540.jpg
    1462933618540.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 1462933641273.jpg
    1462933641273.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 107

dlague

Note the snow falling in this picture and the dark clouds in some of the earlier pics.

Attachments

• 1462933819173.jpg
    1462933819173.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 108
  • 1462933842594.jpg
    1462933842594.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 109

dlague

Awesome, just awesome, looks like it did a month ago. enjoy cause it definitely summer back here and ski season is a long ways away.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup lots of snow. But A Basin is the only place left. Which we will ski to the end!

skiNEwhere

Yep, Loveland always closes first week of May, regardless of much snow they have

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yep, Loveland always closes first week of May, regardless of much snow they have

Why is that? Being closer to Denver, wouldn't they be in better position than A-basin to do more business? This assuming snow depths being equal. I know most find A-basin to have more compelling terrain.

dlague

Why is that? Being closer to Denver, wouldn't they be in better position than A-basin to do more business? This assuming snow depths being equal. I know most find A-basin to have more compelling terrain.

I asked and they told me the Forestry Service requires that they shut down due to bird migratory patterns. Seems like we could work something out with the birds.

skiNEwhere

I asked and they told me the Forestry Service requires that they shut down due to bird migratory patterns. Seems like we could work something out with the birds.

Just like every other resort in the state, I call BS. Loveland is only a few miles away from A-Basin. I skin up there in May and June every year after they close, and always see a lift serviced junior ski race league being serviced by chairs 2 and 6.

Not being on the Epic pass, I just don't think they would make enough money. A-Basin, despite being the only resort left open in the state every season, always moves to Fri-Sun operations once the first week on June rolls around so that should say somethings about the numbers

deadheadskier

Staff member
Taking pass/price out of the equation; if both were open this weekend, where would you ski?

4aprice

Taking pass/price out of the equation; if both were open this weekend, where would you ski?

I know a girl who is living out there full-time now and she's been posting pictures of A-Basin all this week (some nice sunny days) and I'm telling you, from her pics (and Dave's too) there is as much snow now as there was when I was out there a month ago. March and April can be golden out there and this year it was. Be a while before another spring like it. I sure you can still take runs from the car as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Oh, I'm sure it's amazing. I was fortunate to ski ABasin on July 4th one year.

I was just asking somewhere where he'd go. I would think the shorter commute to Loveland would be compelling for many front range skiers this time of year

dlague

I know a girl who is living out there full-time now and she's been posting pictures of A-Basin all this week (some nice sunny days) and I'm telling you, from her pics (and Dave's too) there is as much snow now as there was when I was out there a month ago. March and April can be golden out there and this year it was. Be a while before another spring like it. I sure you can still take runs from the car as well.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yup the parking lot is trail side at A Basin.

4aprice

Oh, I'm sure it's amazing. I was fortunate to ski ABasin on July 4th one year.

I was just asking somewhere where he'd go. I would think the shorter commute to Loveland would be compelling for many front range skiers this time of year

It's 7 miles over the pass which unless its snowing is chump change and a beautiful drive too. I know what you mean by staying on the east side of the Divide but I think as the weather warms it becomes less of an issue. Go around by the tunnel is significant distance added.

Yup the parking lot is trail side at A Basin.

Was more thinking about skiing down from the top of the pass but I'm sure "the beach " (parking right beside the slope) is hopping and you should enjoy. Here its getting ready to ski on the water.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

It's 7 miles over the pass which unless its snowing is chump change and a beautiful drive too. I know what you mean by staying on the east side of the Divide but I think as the weather warms it becomes less of an issue. Go around by the tunnel is significant distance added.

Was more thinking about skiing down from the top of the pass but I'm sure "the beach " (parking right beside the slope) is hopping and you should enjoy. Here its getting ready to ski on the water.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

We go towards Denver and then on the 70 to Loveland it has been easy so far. Today we will go over Loveland Pass to A Basin.

dlague

And ....... we did not go! Son did not want to go. I had to deal with a family crisis regarding my mother's care. Eventually said f' it. Let's get stuff done around home and I put my kid to work on homework.

dlague

Just like every other resort in the state, I call BS. Loveland is only a few miles away from A-Basin. I skin up there in May and June every year after they close, and always see a lift serviced junior ski race league being serviced by chairs 2 and 6.

Not being on the Epic pass, I just don't think they would make enough money. A-Basin, despite being the only resort left open in the state every season, always moves to Fri-Sun operations once the first week on June rolls around so that should say somethings about the numbers

Yup it is BS! I just read that the Loveland Ski Club does spring race training for 6 weeks after the ski area closes. Check it out!

http://www.lovelandskiclub.com/