• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Job workers needed thread

yeggous

Just the facts Mam...........just the facts.

attachment.php

Well if we're talking about facts, it is unlikely that we are "still 1.6 below" 2007 levels, as in the present tense. The most recent numbers available are for 2015. Extrapolating that rate would put us above 2007 levels today, but we are unlikely to know for another year. Given all the economic indicators I have no reason to doubt that the trend has continued. The unemployment rate has been steadily dropping over the last several years since mid-2009.

skiNEwhere

yeggous

DON'T work for Amazon if you have other options. My friend worked there and said they were treated terribly. That, and your quotas for packing would increase each month without your paycheck increasing as well.

It's not just their warehouse employees. Their engineers are worked like dogs. They pay well but quality of life is garbage. There are other companies that pay as well but provide a much better experience.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

The economy is so hot that interest rates are still 0.5%

Some people are never happy.

Energy prices are low
Unemployment is low
Wages are growing
The cost of consumer borrowing is low
Inflation is at a low, healthy level
The exchange rate is strong

What more could you possibly want?

Edd

Some people are never happy.

Energy prices are low
Unemployment is low
Wages are growing
The cost of consumer borrowing is low
Inflation is at a low, healthy level
The exchange rate is strong

What more could you possibly want?

It's ODS (Obama Derangement Syndrome). Look no further for answers.

yeggous

Pointing at low interest rates as a problem is just looking for something to complain about. High interest rates are often a way to control inflation. Right now that is not a problem so there is little reason to raise rates.

People often talk about "the good old days." Well these are them. The economy is in the best shape we've seen in many, many years. A year ago I was a little worried about the tech VC bubble building, but that seems to have deflated itself gently. Even traditionally struggling heavy industries like automotive and airlines are profitable.

yeggous

So you think all politicians bias the statistics under their administration thus leveling the playing field? Or are some more corrupt than others thus creating a conspiracy?

In my experience statisticians and scientists are not interested in such petty squabbles.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
1000 People , 800 Working, 39 actively searching for jobs,161 given up . 3.9% unemployment?

The corruption has evolved to a sad point both parties are guilty ,but this administration made corruption to an art form . Plenty of examples! After Nov 8th were officially a Banana Republic no matter who wins.

Just want to see guys like Scotty be able to get a good job .

yeggous

yeggous

There are very good reasons while the labor participation rate is biased and unusable a indicator of economic health.

The most obvious is that controlling for economic changes, we should expect to see a continued drop in the labor participation rate due to demographic shifts. As the Boomers age out of the workforce they are naturally going to lower the rate. Likewise an influx of young people would also lower the rate as young people are more likely to be full time students. For the same reason an increase in the rate of people going to college will lower the participation rate.

Note the bulges in population in Boomers entering in retirement and in their college / grad school years. The chart below is from the year 2015:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demog.../media/File:USA_by_Sex_and_Age_2015-07-01.svg
I know the Baby Boom bulge can be hard to pick out given the mortality trend at those ages. Notice the sharp jump at age 69 (would be now age 70 since the data is a year old). That corresponds to babies born in 1946 -- a year (call it 9 months) after the end of World War II. That huge demographic bulge entering retirement is driving down the labor participation rate in profound ways.

Even pretending that those demographic trends are not forcing a change in the participation rate, a drop in the participation rate can also be interpreted as a healthy sign of economic strength. Namely it can be an indicator of new family formation where one parent chooses to stay home. This would be amplified if perhaps there was a demographic bulge at child bearing years. (See the above chart.)

How would you control for such effects? You could calculate the rate of people who are seeking employment but are unable to find it. I think would call it the unemployment rate.