Job workers needed thread - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Well done and a bit scary, Bots may decide one day humans are obsolete. Although Horses may have the last laugh,one good solar flare or EMP and it's back to the stone age for us. To the Amish down the road it will be business as usual .
    That was well produced. I have to admit I am doing my part to put professional drivers out of business. These are exciting times.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    That was well produced. I have to admit I am doing my part to put professional drivers out of business. These are exciting times.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    Skynet goes self aware in 3,2,1

Very curious how navigation is accomplished ? GPS plus optical? infrared? How is rain/snow squalls dealt with ?

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Skynet goes self aware in 3,2,1

Very curious how navigation is accomplished ? GPS plus optical? infrared? How is rain/snow squalls dealt with ?
    Short answer is that it is achieved by combining several sensors.

In rural areas maps are less accurate, but you don't need as much accuracy with single lane roads with intersections spread out. In these areas, GPS navigation with cameras works fine. Using stereo cameras allows you to detect the range of objects. Infrared vs visible cameras is just a matter of wavelength so the distinction is trivial. I'm not sure what wavelengths they use. Many systems also use radar to help supplement when sun glare becomes a problem, but radar can't resolve obstacles as well.

In urban areas things become more complicated. GPS signals bounce of buildings creating what we call "the urban canyon effect." Currently we're reliant on lidar in urban areas, which also means that roads must have a detailed survey before cars can safely operate there. Lidar has historically been very expensive, but prices are coming down fast. This is one of several reasons why the first fully autonomous cars will likely serve ride sharing companies in urban areas. When we first started working on the systems, Lidars cost $100k each. Today they are down to $8k, and we expect them to come down significantly more.

Right now snow and rain are not a problem -- to a point. The guidance stops working at about the same point where you should probably stop driving too. Optical visibility is the limiting factor, so fog is the more serious concern.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post

In urban areas things become more complicated. GPS signals bounce of buildings creating what we call "the urban canyon effect." Currently we're reliant on lidar in urban areas, which also means that roads must have a detailed survey before cars can safely operate there. Lidar has historically been very expensive, but prices are coming down fast. This is one of several reasons why the first fully autonomous cars will likely serve ride sharing companies in urban areas. When we first started working on the systems, Lidars cost $100k each. Today they are down to $8k, and we expect them to come down significantly more.

Right now snow and rain are not a problem -- to a point. The guidance stops working at about the same point where you should probably stop driving too. Optical visibility is the limiting factor, so fog is the more serious concern.
    Lidar coming down has been a wonderful thing in many research areas! GIS and remote sensing has become much more possible due to cheaper lidar. Unfortunately this also lead to FEMA being able to do more in depth analysis of flood zones leading to many people having their homes or businesses being designated as a flood zone causing some anger...

Thread Information