• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

NSAA Skier Visits Rose Slightly, to 53.9 Million, in 2015-16

catskills

U.S. ski areas tallied an estimated 53.9 million skier and snowboarder visits during the 2015-16 season, up slightly from last season’s 53.6 million total, according to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA). A record year in the Pacific Northwest and the Rockies was offset by steep declines in visitation in the eastern half of the country.

Weather challenges across the entire eastern half of the country resulted in declines from the 2014-15 season in the Northeast (down 28 percent), Midwest (down 17 percent), and Southeast (down 30 percent). For the Midwest, visits were the lowest in the 38-year history of the Kottke report; visits in the Southeast were the lowest in 37 years, topping only the total in the study’s inaugural year. For the Northeast, this past season was the fourth-worst in the past 38.

Last year Vermont ski industry celebrated a record breaking 2014-15 season with 4,670,903 skier and rider visits. Vermont always does better every year. Lets see what Vermont says this year.

Saminfo.com NSAA Skier Visits Rose Slightly, to 53.9 Million, in 2015-16

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I saw that. They reported that western visits were very good....considering that we were still a bit below average snow-wise. That said, it skied great.

dlague

U.S. ski areas tallied an estimated 53.9 million skier and snowboarder visits during the 2015-16 season, up slightly from last season’s 53.6 million total, according to the National Ski Areas Association (NSAA). A record year in the Pacific Northwest and the Rockies was offset by steep declines in visitation in the eastern half of the country.

Weather challenges across the entire eastern half of the country resulted in declines from the 2014-15 season in the Northeast (down 28 percent), Midwest (down 17 percent), and Southeast (down 30 percent). For the Midwest, visits were the lowest in the 38-year history of the Kottke report; visits in the Southeast were the lowest in 37 years, topping only the total in the study’s inaugural year. For the Northeast, this past season was the fourth-worst in the past 38.

Last year Vermont ski industry celebrated a record breaking 2014-15 season with 4,670,903 skier and rider visits. Vermont always does better every year. Lets see what Vermont says this year.

Saminfo.com NSAA Skier Visits Rose Slightly, to 53.9 Million, in 2015-16

I have a feeling the western numbers were bumped up by more easterners than usual travelling west to find snow.

I agree. Just from this forum alone there were many and we are a small sample.

Abominable

I did my part. Completely unplanned, spur-of-the-moment, snow-finding trip. I imagine there were thousands like me.

Yep. Still haven't put up pictures, but ran into some great snow. AND, not terribly expensive on the tickets, thanks to your ebay find. Thanks again for that.