• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2016

JimG.

Staff member
Big bass are staying deeper now and you need to use his technique or similar to entice them.

We finally bought a portable fish finder and used it this past Sunday with some success later in the day, near weed beds with deep water access. It is really necessary to fish a vertical water column properly. In some spots near shore was 4-8' deep but 15 yards offshore it dropped off to 100'. Good for spotting lake trout too.

I'm pretty pumped about using it.

Abominable

For any of you Westchester / Fairfield County folks (that fish saltwater), it's on fire right now with loads of bait getting hammered with blues and the occasional bass. Should be pretty good until Thanksgiving.

JimG.

Staff member
For any of you Westchester / Fairfield County folks (that fish saltwater), it's on fire right now with loads of bait getting hammered with blues and the occasional bass. Should be pretty good until Thanksgiving.

My buddy Steve fishes in the sound at his place in CT and he has been catching nice blues right off the small jetty at his beach. Quite a few 15 lbs. stripers too.

JimG.

Staff member
Today was good. Gorgeous afternoon. Studied up on using the fish finder. Learning how to interpret the display. Bass were holding in 6-10 feet of water. I usually use plastic worms but today I stuck to deep diving crawdad imitations; finally put on a crawdad color Bomber plug good for fishing at 7-10 feet with rattles inside the body. Caught 6 nice smallmouths all about like this one:

attachment.php

Wish I had this fish finder earlier in the season.

Attachments

• photo 43.jpg
    photo 43.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 61
  • photo 43.jpg
    photo 43.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 122

steamboat1

Same thing along the western beaches of LI with a few albacore in the mix too. The ocean is loaded with bait, so are the creeks & bays for that matter.

JimG.

Staff member
Turns out October 8 was my last day of fishing. Got busy with ski gear and other prep for the ski season and just never got back to the water.

It was a great season, glad to share my year here with you all.

Looking forward to Fishing 2017.

Hawkshot99

Never got to do any fall fishing really. The DEC shut down the Esopus creek where I usually go. Water was was flowing at 60CMS, where its typically at 400-600CMS.