Fishing 2016 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2016

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    JimG you saltwater fish LI Sound correct? I've heard bass fishing has been good there too. Haven't heard as much about blues that way though. We've been fishing right outside our inlet (Rockaway) & inside Jamaica Bay too. Haven't had to go far to find fish yet this year. Bluefishing has been outstanding everyday with mostly medium to large size fish. Some days there are a lot of bass in the mix other days not. We mostly diamond jig fish on our boat. The smaller charter & private boats that live line bunker or chunk have been catching bass more consistently. The season has been very good so far, I hope it lasts.

edit: I've never done much freshwater fishing myself.
    My friend has a boat at New Rochelle; when we go out with him we stay in the sound proper. The striper fishing has been very good the two days I've been out. And although you normally have to travel further east to get bigger blues this time of year up to 18 pounders have been hitting as well.

We also get out from Sheepshead Bay and we enjoy chartering Block Island striper or shark hunting trips from Montauk. Nothing beats the controlled chaos of an offshore shark hunt.

I get out for salt water action 4-5 days a season. I really love the peace and quiet sitting in a rowboat on a glass calm lake in the late afternoon.

We sail out of Gerritsen Creek on the Sheepshead Bay (the neighborhood) side of the creek but not where the piers are. We've been sailing from this location since 1956. My grandfather started my families party/charter boat business in 1949. I grew up working on the boats (we've had several) but haven't really been involved in the business for over 30 years. I choose a different career path. I do still maintain my captains license though.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Jun 6, 2016 at 5:10 AM.

My wife and I took a fly fishing class and have signed up for three more. The next classes involve lots of practice on casting technique and then actually getting out into actual fishing. This sport is really big here in CO.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Put some good effort into trout fishing this spring, pretty much from opening day on April 1 until last week. The cool weather that helped keep skiing alive was a disaster for fishing trout streams. The cold and many times windy weather made for sluggish trout action and difficult casting. Always fun to hike the fishing spots though.

My season really begins when we start getting out on the NYC reservoirs. The season does not officially begin until the third Saturday in June, but we start Memorial Day weekend to get the late spawning period action. After a fine Friday afternoon of bass fishing last week we went out yesterday and in addition to more good bass action I landed the trout I was looking for earlier this spring:

A lake trout caught on the deep water edge of a weed bed on a plastic worm of all things! Nice 8 pounder.
    Nice framing of the Cornell!

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    We sail out of Gerritsen Creek on the Sheepshead Bay (the neighborhood) side of the creek but not where the piers are. We've been sailing from this location since 1956. My grandfather started my families party/charter boat business in 1949. I grew up working on the boats (we've had several) but haven't really been involved in the business for over 30 years. I choose a different career path. I do still maintain my captains license though.
    The photo you posted looked like the rail of a party boat. I have spent quite a bit of time with friends in the same spot.

I think it's great that your family keeps the fishing spirit alive.

Quote Originally Posted by 180 View Post
    Nice framing of the Cornell!
    Ha! Just noticed that. Not planned at all!

Steve had his camera ready and we got a quick shot. This fish was particularly uncooperative and insisted on wiggling and trying to escape at every turn. Lucky to get a good shot, unhook it, and get it back in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    My wife and I took a fly fishing class and have signed up for three more. The next classes involve lots of practice on casting technique and then actually getting out into actual fishing. This sport is really big here in CO.
    My first fly fishing experience was 30 or so years ago in CO. A beautiful meadow stream in a mountain valley near Vail. We had to hike about 2 miles to get there.

Fishing is supremely relaxing to me.

Edit: the name of the stream was Piney Creek which fed into Piney lake which is at the base of a truly beautiful ridge.
    Last edited by JimG.; Jun 7, 2016 at 8:56 PM.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    It's fun way to fish dlague....
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    It's fun way to fish dlague....
    Looking forward to the experience - we are going this coming weekend with a guide. Once we understand things better and figure out what gear to buy then we will go on our own.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Bed fishing Lake George last week with the pops. Did over 350 fish in 4 days.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Thread Information