• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2016

JimG.

Staff member
Thanks.

It seems easy this season because the fish are biting so well, so far anyway. To put it in a skier's perspective, this is like getting 6" or more of fresh snow every time you go out on the hill.

JimG.

Staff member
It was gray and threatening rain as we pushed off yesterday; even though a cold front was clearly moving through we decided to go out for a few hours anyway. Big smallmouths were hiding, only caught little ones. Good to see the little fish it means the water body is healthy and the fish are thriving and reproducing.

Since I brought raingear we never saw a drop of rain and the largemouth fishing was good in protected spots. This was my biggest of the day:

attachment.php

Gonna try to get out again tomorrow. Too cool and damp today.

Attachments

• photo 36.jpg
    photo 36.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 133

steamboat1

A couple of friends of mine had an excellent day whiting fishing this week. One of my favorite eating fish.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 129
  • 62_5%20FISHARK%20WHITING%20JULY%208%202016%20GULF%20OF%20MAINE.jpg
    62_5%20FISHARK%20WHITING%20JULY%208%202016%20GULF%20OF%20MAINE.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 128

JimG.

Staff member
I think a day of good action like that in salt water is the best!

Also, the lighter tackle makes it more fun IMO.

bigbog

Been pretty hot with lower water levels until the last 3-4 days, but two big player mayflies are hatching in the evenings and further into the night:
Green Drake(~1½" in length) and Hexagenia(~1½"-3" in length)..below.
The huge female Hexes are drawn to light @night...the big white insects seen up in the lights at gas stations at night...
HA...I'm a no show with the brooktrout, sorry...been cold and damp this last few days...gotta wait till next week.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
That's a big daddy! There are many mayflies at my house but earlier in the year in spring.

Just noticed the umbrella rig and double header in one of steamboat's pics too.

steamboat1

Just noticed the umbrella rig and double header in one of steamboat's pics too.
Umbrella rig? They were using a three hook high/low rig with either a 8oz. sinker on the bottom or 8oz. jig. Between 5 guys they caught around 150 whiting,150 ling & a bunch of haddock. Lots of good eating right there!

rig:
attachment.php

good eats:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 124
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 124

JimG.

Staff member
This is what I've learned today; admittedly no salt water expert.

A lot of meat!

JimG.

Staff member
Wow was it hot yesterday! Not a great day to fish, nothing but a few small ones.

But it was a great afternoon/evening to hang out on the water in the shade and drink.

The other folks we usually see fishing had the same luck, there was a backup at all the boat spots getting off the lake at dark!

JimG.

Staff member
Beautiful day back in the northern reservoirs yesterday. Recent rain has helped and water levels are holding steady now.

After fishing a few spots and catching nothing, especially no small fish, I suspected the smallmouths were biting and it was a matter of finding a feeding frenzy. Went to my favorite eastern cove and with the steady west wind I found one. In one 200 yard stretch of shoreline I landed 5 smallies and 1 largemouth. These fish hit aggressively and fought well. All were 16-18" in length but they were literally stuffed to the gills with sawbellies. So much so that I could see 2-3 tails in the fishes' throats as I was unhooking them.

This fish was about 17" in length and normally would weigh about 2.5 lbs. Yesterday it was obese and fought like a 4 pound fish:

attachment.php

That 200 yards of shoreline accounted for all of the fishing action. Great day for a row.

Attachments

• photo 39.JPG
    photo 39.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 63
  • photo 39.jpg
    photo 39.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 123

steamboat1

Very nice JimG. Our boat is currently down so I haven't been out on the ocean fishing. We cracked a liner in one of the cylinders so while we have it apart we're rebuilding the whole engine. Just waiting for the head to get back from the shop, it should go back together quickly once we get it back.

As for beach fishing it's been mostly small porgies & fluke on the bay side with a lot of kingfish being caught on the ocean side. Stripers & blues are in their normal mid-summer lull period.

JimG.

Staff member
Yeah, the dog days of August are approaching. Soon will be time for night/pre-dawn fishing on the reservoirs.

Really hope we get more rain but nothing in sight but heat and dryness.

steamboat1

New crank shaft bearings in, new liners, pistons & connecting rods going in as I type. Still waiting on the head.

Rebuilding a Detroit Diesel 671 engine. Only rebuilding one but there are two in the boat. Not the engine on the boat but heres a picture of a 671. I think it would sink your row boat.:p

attachment.php

Attachments

• us_boats.3774.2.jpg
    us_boats.3774.2.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
Ya...or just crush it.

No motors allowed on res, not even electric trolling motors.

dlague

Fly Fishing on South Platte this weekend - part of a three part lesson. Will we be hooked? We shall see.

steamboat1

Still working. Heads on, valves & injectors tuned, fuel lines in, still need to adjust the rack, hook up the exhaust manifold, then all the peripheral crap, add oil & we'll see. Going to be an all nighter to get her ready to sail at 6:30am

JimG.

Staff member
Heading to beach instead.

Too hot to fish, that rowboat will be like a floating skillet.