• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2016

dlague

Finally got to go fly fishing on South Platte in Deckers, CO. Very relaxing and we are hooked (hahaha)!

JimG.

Staff member
It's been damned hot lately; fishing becomes hit or miss this time of the season, sometimes good and sometimes really slow. Today seemed like it might be OK fishing and frankly the weekend forecast for rain made it the best time to get out.

As the bigger fish hunker down in the depths the small fish become bold so we wind up catching a lot of small bass. Some are barely bigger than the lures we use to catch them. True pigs!

Anyway, if you keep your lure in the water there is always the chance that one of those fish turns out to be a nice one. So, after catching about a dozen small bass you can imagine I was quite pleased to land this 5 pound largemouth:

attachment.php

Fishing picked up after I landed this one and we caught a few decent smallmouths each after the sun set.

Attachments

• photo 40.jpg
    photo 40.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 108

chuckstah

Nice haul of sea bass in Buzzards Bay today. Reports of many stripers in the canal, but they have eluded me. First light fishing in the morning has been hot. But not for me.

JimG.

Staff member
Nice haul of sea bass in Buzzards Bay today. Reports of many stripers in the canal, but they have eluded me. First light fishing in the morning has been hot. But not for me.

Sea bass=good eating.

First light fishing essential for good striper action in my experiences out on the sound.

chuckstah

Sea bass=good eating.

First light fishing essential for good striper action in my experiences out on the sound.

Yes, the sea bass dinner last night was great. And tonight's lobsters from my neighbors traps that we hauled yesterday were also delicious. Wish I could always eat this good.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I tend to eat lobster too much this time year. Well, the lobster isn't the issue, the butter is. But at $4.99/# this time of year it's cheap eating

JimG.

Staff member
Until yesterday afternoon it has been too hot to enjoy fishing. Weather was borderline as it was, not crazy hot but super humid.

Got out at 4pm and personally expected no fish until evening at earliest. Pushed off shore and caught a smallmouth on my first cast barely 10 feet from shore. That can be the kiss of death and it was until about 6:30.

Then the fish turned on and started biting. No small fish but no big fish either. Everything was in the 14-16" size range but the action was good and the three of us (also my buddies Steve and Chuck) caught a bunch of fish. Fish continued to bite when it got dark. We headed in at about 10pm and I caught a smallmouth on my last cast about 10 feet from shore. Maybe we should have just stayed there?

Classic mid-summer afternoon/night action which was good to see. The size range was good too even though we caught no big ones. Key was there were enough mid size fish to keep the 4-6" fish away. Bass are getting ready for prime late summer/early fall action.

I think we may catch some big fish next time, hopefully worthy of a picture. Gonna try some night time shots with the spot from my headlamp.

steamboat1

Just hanging with the guys this afternoon at Floyd Bennett Airfield in Jamaica Bay, Brooklyn just shooting the breeze. All of a sudden the beach right in front of us (in tight) started exploding with cocktail bluefish (2-5 lbs.) chasing peanut bunker. We jigged a bunch for about 20min. & then they disappeared as quickly as they appeared. It was unexpected but fun while it lasted.

JimG.

Staff member
Mid-August fishing is usually spotty like that. Feast and Famine.

September-early October is always good.

And then it's time to ski! Good fishing like this year makes the time fly.

Tin

I tend to eat lobster too much this time year. Well, the lobster isn't the issue, the butter is. But at $4.99/# this time of year it's cheap eating

Shocked it is this low. Saw $5.99 in western Mass and couldn't believe it. My buddy in Freeport was getting $2.30 a pound and it was average fishing at about 1.25 per trap, figured it would stay higher for longer.

bigbog

Butter = meh, really can be exercised off....but the Salt = takes more than exercise for me...
Can't wait to get back to skiing, hopefully this winter.....to essentially get back into shape.

jimk

I'm not a lobster guy, buy my Dad loves the stuff. The last time I took my Dad to MA to visit relatives was when he was pushing age 90. It was around 2009, four years before he passed away. We took a drive one day over to Hampton Beach, NH and up the coast to Southern ME. My Dad had a lobster roll for lunch and then he had a lobster dinner at Browns Lobster Pound on the way back the same day. My wife did the same. I'll eat fried clams. Lobsters look too much like aliens.
browns-lobster-pound-seabrook-720x458.jpg

PS: don't know how long Browns has been there but my folks made visits to friends at Hampton Beach as far back as the 1930s and always got lobster along the way.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Eat at Browns a few times a year. I live about 20 minutes away. They and Markeys across the street have both been around 50+ years. We gravitate towards Browns as it's BYOB

HD333

Eat at Browns a few times a year. I live about 20 minutes away. They and Markeys across the street have both been around 50+ years. We gravitate towards Browns as it's BYOB

I view Browns and Markeys as Red Sox Vs Yankees.

It is either one or the other for me and I go with Browns. BYOB does help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk