Fishing 2016 - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2016

Yeah, time for a saltwater trip.

Going out for more res action soon.

No pics from yesterday. Mostly small fish biggest only about 16".

Lost something that felt big, fought it for 3 minutes or so before losing it near the boat. Never saw the fish. It did not fight like a bass. The way it struggled for and stayed near the bottom I suspect it was a walleye. There is a good population of them in this res.

Walleye from 2 years ago:

That's why it's called fishing and not catching. Beautiful day on the lake.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Another fine late afternoon yesterday. Wind was howling from the west when I started out, went right to the CT side of the lake where this wind direction blows directly into a large cove that is deep in spots and shallow in others. Saw boiling schools of baitfish and once I found sheltered spots near shore where I could cast the plastic worm and control the boat I started catching fish. Smallmouths only today. Most fish in the 6"-12" range, caught this nice 3.5-4 lbs. fish casting the worm to a sandy underwater point from a protected cove:

Kept catching small fish along this shoreline, then rowed back out of the cove and went straight to a small island on the other side of the lake for sunset casting. I caught this fine and very well fed 4.5 lbs smallmouth my first cast on arrival; nice fat belly!

It does not get much better than this:

Outstanding JimG......

Fishing has been good since early May. Heading out again this afternoon, moving to a more southern (30 miles) res today.

We need rain badly, I see a lot of burned out lawns up in Dutchess/Putnam and the reservoir water levels are already dropping.

Items for Sale
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Fishing has been good since early May.....We need rain badly, I see a lot of burned out lawns up in Dutchess/Putnam and the reservoir water levels are already dropping.
    Likewise up in Maine. We're getting a shower or two about every 7-10 days...not enough, way below average so far...a number of small brooks that I've always had fun at until August are 90% dry already. Think I'll have to visit my spring-fed streams in the remote sticks.
    Last edited by bigbog; Jun 24, 2016 at 5:26 PM.
    SteveD

More good bass fishing on Friday afternoon. I landed nothing big, my buddy Steve landed a nice largemouth. We caught and hooked a lot of fish.

I hooked both a big largemouth and smallmouth and lost both of them. Frustrating because both broke off. Regular users of lighter test monofilament know that when it starts to kink that it's old and needs replacing. I noticed it on Wednesday but forgot to strip my reel and put new line on. Paid the price Friday.

Sucks. Reel now freshly spooled with more 10 lbs. test. Still a great day the bass fishing really has been awesome. July is my go to month so things are looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Well my wife finished all our casting and entomology classes for fly fishing. Our first trip is the 26th to fish Colorado's trout mecca in the Platte River and later Arkansas River.
    Hope the fishing is good today.

I'm a little superstitious about fishing if you haven't noticed (always wear Cornell or RIT shirt or whatever my current lucky charm is like my sweated out and poorly fitting brook trout cap) and so are my fishing buddies.

Conditions looked good yesterday with a west wind putting many of my best fishing spots into play. I rowed out to my favorite eastern cove and almost as soon as I got there the wind shifted very quickly to a strong east wind. Now if you talk to me or any of my buddies you will be told that the east wind at this res is "bad"; never catch fish with an east wind.

I pondered this for a minute and realized I have felt this way for 35 years because I never have good fishing luck with an east wind. Not sure why really. And I'm here anyway, so I rowed over to the southern shore of this cove and let the east wind push me back out along the railroad tracks on that shoreline. This area is deep, 10-15' near shore with plenty of good structure 15' or so offshore. I have thought many times that this area should be good.

In a short distance I had landed 4 decent largemouths all about 2-2.5 lbs. Pretty good action! Properly inspired, I thought about other spots in the western part of the lake that are similar. I fished the deep water sides of 2 islands in this area and proceeded to catch one smallmouth after another! Here are two:

These fish were very aggressive and all of them fought well, even the small fish. Many headshaking leaps followed by deep runs taking out line. Great day!

An excellent example of how attitude can be affected by superstition. Fishing is in large part a confidence game. If you think you won't catch fish you won't. Lesson learned.

Items for Sale
    Nice pics/fish JimG...
    SteveD

Thread Information