Fishing 2016 - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2016

Beautiful day back in the northern reservoirs yesterday. Recent rain has helped and water levels are holding steady now.

After fishing a few spots and catching nothing, especially no small fish, I suspected the smallmouths were biting and it was a matter of finding a feeding frenzy. Went to my favorite eastern cove and with the steady west wind I found one. In one 200 yard stretch of shoreline I landed 5 smallies and 1 largemouth. These fish hit aggressively and fought well. All were 16-18" in length but they were literally stuffed to the gills with sawbellies. So much so that I could see 2-3 tails in the fishes' throats as I was unhooking them.

This fish was about 17" in length and normally would weigh about 2.5 lbs. Yesterday it was obese and fought like a 4 pound fish:

That 200 yards of shoreline accounted for all of the fishing action. Great day for a row.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice JimG. Our boat is currently down so I haven't been out on the ocean fishing. We cracked a liner in one of the cylinders so while we have it apart we're rebuilding the whole engine. Just waiting for the head to get back from the shop, it should go back together quickly once we get it back.

As for beach fishing it's been mostly small porgies & fluke on the bay side with a lot of kingfish being caught on the ocean side. Stripers & blues are in their normal mid-summer lull period.

Yeah, the dog days of August are approaching. Soon will be time for night/pre-dawn fishing on the reservoirs.

Really hope we get more rain but nothing in sight but heat and dryness.

New crank shaft bearings in, new liners, pistons & connecting rods going in as I type. Still waiting on the head.

Rebuilding a Detroit Diesel 671 engine. Only rebuilding one but there are two in the boat. Not the engine on the boat but heres a picture of a 671. I think it would sink your row boat.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steamboat1; Jul 21, 2016 at 8:30 PM.

Ya...or just crush it.

No motors allowed on res, not even electric trolling motors.

Fly Fishing on South Platte this weekend - part of a three part lesson. Will we be hooked? We shall see.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Got the head back about 5:30 this evening. Going to be hard pressed to get everything back together so we can sail in the morning. We shall see.

Might head out this afternoon.

Still working. Heads on, valves & injectors tuned, fuel lines in, still need to adjust the rack, hook up the exhaust manifold, then all the peripheral crap, add oil & we'll see. Going to be an all nighter to get her ready to sail at 6:30am

Heading to beach instead.

Too hot to fish, that rowboat will be like a floating skillet.

Thread Information