Fishing 2016

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing 2016

Fishing 2016

Put some good effort into trout fishing this spring, pretty much from opening day on April 1 until last week. The cool weather that helped keep skiing alive was a disaster for fishing trout streams. The cold and many times windy weather made for sluggish trout action and difficult casting. Always fun to hike the fishing spots though.

My season really begins when we start getting out on the NYC reservoirs. The season does not officially begin until the third Saturday in June, but we start Memorial Day weekend to get the late spawning period action. After a fine Friday afternoon of bass fishing last week we went out yesterday and in addition to more good bass action I landed the trout I was looking for earlier this spring:

A lake trout caught on the deep water edge of a weed bed on a plastic worm of all things! Nice 8 pounder.

Attached Images Attached Images

Items for Sale
    Isn't that something JimG. Congrats...goes to prove that you never know what fish are gonna do...
    SteveD

A nice smallmouth and a nice largemouth bass:

Both from last Friday.

Paging Tin into this thread.....
    2017-18
    Wildcat 11/19, 11/25
    Cannon 12/2

2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

Today on the boat, not me. This was just a baby, maybe 15lbs. we had another today 31lbs. Quite a few other bass & all the blues you could want. All within a stones throw of our inlet. Gotta love NYC.

Last edited by steamboat1; Jun 5, 2016 at 12:14 AM.

Items for Sale
    That's a nice striper....it's still early up here, and I think the population up here is going thru another one of those downturns that happens every so often, according to the saltwater fly guys.
    Haven't seen many on the maine website...
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    That's a nice striper....it's still early up here, and I think the population up here is going thru another one of those downturns that happens every so often, according to the saltwater fly guys.
    Haven't seen many on the maine website...
    The fly & surf guys are always crying that the sky is falling. I wouldn't pay them much mind. A fisherman I talk to who lives in ME. told me the bass started showing up there about a week ago. Down here bass & blue fishing has been very good for well over a month now. I love how the ski & fish seasons just flow into eachother.

Also spent time salt water fishing after reports of good striper and blue fishing:

Good striper fishing we caught more 15-20 pound fish than usual and my buddy Chris landed this 45-50 pounder. Blues hitting well too.

I don't do any salt water fly fishing and really limit it to early in the fresh water season in April and early May. I'm still learning how to be good at it and I've also noticed a lot of type A personalities out on fly water.

JimG you saltwater fish LI Sound correct? I've heard bass fishing has been good there too. Haven't heard as much about blues that way though. We've been fishing right outside our inlet (Rockaway) & inside Jamaica Bay too. Haven't had to go far to find fish yet this year. Bluefishing has been outstanding everyday with mostly medium to large size fish. Some days there are a lot of bass in the mix other days not. We mostly diamond jig fish on our boat. The smaller charter & private boats that live line bunker or chunk have been catching bass more consistently. The season has been very good so far, I hope it lasts.

edit: I've never done much freshwater fishing myself.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Jun 5, 2016 at 1:05 PM.

Thread Information