• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Fishing 2016

JimG.

Staff member
Put some good effort into trout fishing this spring, pretty much from opening day on April 1 until last week. The cool weather that helped keep skiing alive was a disaster for fishing trout streams. The cold and many times windy weather made for sluggish trout action and difficult casting. Always fun to hike the fishing spots though.

My season really begins when we start getting out on the NYC reservoirs. The season does not officially begin until the third Saturday in June, but we start Memorial Day weekend to get the late spawning period action. After a fine Friday afternoon of bass fishing last week we went out yesterday and in addition to more good bass action I landed the trout I was looking for earlier this spring:
attachment.php

A lake trout caught on the deep water edge of a weed bed on a plastic worm of all things! Nice 8 pounder.

Attachments

• photo 22.jpg
    photo 22.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 203

JimG.

Staff member
A nice smallmouth and a nice largemouth bass:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Both from last Friday.

Attachments

• photo 23.jpg
    photo 23.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 156
  • photo 24.jpg
    photo 24.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 156

steamboat1

Today on the boat, not me. This was just a baby, maybe 15lbs. we had another today 31lbs. Quite a few other bass & all the blues you could want. All within a stones throw of our inlet. Gotta love NYC.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 180499.jpg
    180499.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

bigbog

That's a nice striper....it's still early up here, and I think the population up here is going thru another one of those downturns that happens every so often:???:, according to the saltwater fly guys.
Haven't seen many on the maine website...

steamboat1

That's a nice striper....it's still early up here, and I think the population up here is going thru another one of those downturns that happens every so often:???:, according to the saltwater fly guys.
Haven't seen many on the maine website...
The fly & surf guys are always crying that the sky is falling. I wouldn't pay them much mind. A fisherman I talk to who lives in ME. told me the bass started showing up there about a week ago. Down here bass & blue fishing has been very good for well over a month now. I love how the ski & fish seasons just flow into eachother.

JimG.

Staff member
Also spent time salt water fishing after reports of good striper and blue fishing:
attachment.php

Good striper fishing we caught more 15-20 pound fish than usual and my buddy Chris landed this 45-50 pounder. Blues hitting well too.

I don't do any salt water fly fishing and really limit it to early in the fresh water season in April and early May. I'm still learning how to be good at it and I've also noticed a lot of type A personalities out on fly water.

Attachments

• photo 25.jpg
    photo 25.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 136

steamboat1

JimG you saltwater fish LI Sound correct? I've heard bass fishing has been good there too. Haven't heard as much about blues that way though. We've been fishing right outside our inlet (Rockaway) & inside Jamaica Bay too. Haven't had to go far to find fish yet this year. Bluefishing has been outstanding everyday with mostly medium to large size fish. Some days there are a lot of bass in the mix other days not. We mostly diamond jig fish on our boat. The smaller charter & private boats that live line bunker or chunk have been catching bass more consistently. The season has been very good so far, I hope it lasts.

edit: I've never done much freshwater fishing myself.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
JimG you saltwater fish LI Sound correct? I've heard bass fishing has been good there too. Haven't heard as much about blues that way though. We've been fishing right outside our inlet (Rockaway) & inside Jamaica Bay too. Haven't had to go far to find fish yet this year. Bluefishing has been outstanding everyday with mostly medium to large size fish. Some days there are a lot of bass in the mix other days not. We mostly diamond jig fish on our boat. The smaller charter & private boats that live line bunker or chunk have been catching bass more consistently. The season has been very good so far, I hope it lasts.

edit: I've never done much freshwater fishing myself.

My friend has a boat at New Rochelle; when we go out with him we stay in the sound proper. The striper fishing has been very good the two days I've been out. And although you normally have to travel further east to get bigger blues this time of year up to 18 pounders have been hitting as well.

We also get out from Sheepshead Bay and we enjoy chartering Block Island striper or shark hunting trips from Montauk. Nothing beats the controlled chaos of an offshore shark hunt.

I get out for salt water action 4-5 days a season. I really love the peace and quiet sitting in a rowboat on a glass calm lake in the late afternoon.

steamboat1

We sail out of Gerritsen Creek on the Sheepshead Bay (the neighborhood) side of the creek but not where the piers are. We've been sailing from this location since 1956. My grandfather started my families party/charter boat business in 1949. I grew up working on the boats (we've had several) but haven't really been involved in the business for over 30 years. I choose a different career path. I do still maintain my captains license though.

Last edited:

dlague

My wife and I took a fly fishing class and have signed up for three more. The next classes involve lots of practice on casting technique and then actually getting out into actual fishing. This sport is really big here in CO.

Put some good effort into trout fishing this spring, pretty much from opening day on April 1 until last week. The cool weather that helped keep skiing alive was a disaster for fishing trout streams. The cold and many times windy weather made for sluggish trout action and difficult casting. Always fun to hike the fishing spots though.

My season really begins when we start getting out on the NYC reservoirs. The season does not officially begin until the third Saturday in June, but we start Memorial Day weekend to get the late spawning period action. After a fine Friday afternoon of bass fishing last week we went out yesterday and in addition to more good bass action I landed the trout I was looking for earlier this spring:
attachment.php

A lake trout caught on the deep water edge of a weed bed on a plastic worm of all things! Nice 8 pounder.

Nice framing of the Cornell!

JimG.

Staff member
We sail out of Gerritsen Creek on the Sheepshead Bay (the neighborhood) side of the creek but not where the piers are. We've been sailing from this location since 1956. My grandfather started my families party/charter boat business in 1949. I grew up working on the boats (we've had several) but haven't really been involved in the business for over 30 years. I choose a different career path. I do still maintain my captains license though.

The photo you posted looked like the rail of a party boat. I have spent quite a bit of time with friends in the same spot.

I think it's great that your family keeps the fishing spirit alive.

JimG.

Staff member
Nice framing of the Cornell!

Ha! Just noticed that. Not planned at all!

Steve had his camera ready and we got a quick shot. This fish was particularly uncooperative and insisted on wiggling and trying to escape at every turn. Lucky to get a good shot, unhook it, and get it back in the water.

JimG.

Staff member
My wife and I took a fly fishing class and have signed up for three more. The next classes involve lots of practice on casting technique and then actually getting out into actual fishing. This sport is really big here in CO.

My first fly fishing experience was 30 or so years ago in CO. A beautiful meadow stream in a mountain valley near Vail. We had to hike about 2 miles to get there.

Fishing is supremely relaxing to me.

Edit: the name of the stream was Piney Creek which fed into Piney lake which is at the base of a truly beautiful ridge.

Last edited:

dlague

It's fun way to fish dlague....

Looking forward to the experience - we are going this coming weekend with a guide. Once we understand things better and figure out what gear to buy then we will go on our own.