• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dangerous to be on the road these days

Scruffy

This type of system is exactly what we are working on. A big hurdle is going to be who controls this system. I suspect there are a lot of people who are going to be opposed to the government fulfilling this roll. On the other hand, no single company can serve this purpose either for several reasons. Capitalistic economies are not organized in such a way that a non-government entity could ever do this.

You'll pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands! You think gun control is a fight? Drivers vote :lol:

snoseek

Don't worry about me. Never have & never hope to ever own a cell phone.

I'm just worried about everyone else. Funny part is they don't even have to be driving a car to be oblivious.

Am I missing something?
Haha thats actually awesome!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

Funky_Catskills

My buddy is a cop... He says he can tell when someone is on the phone by the way they drive..
Each function of making a call/text is accompanied by trait on the road.. Like slowing down- swerving - etc...

JimG.

Staff member
You'll pry my steering wheel from my cold dead hands! You think gun control is a fight? Drivers vote :lol:

Americans are lazy; anything to sit around and do nothing. Or something stupid.

Driverless cars will be a big hit with most people. Then they will be able to drink or have sex or jerk off or even just die and it won't matter. Great.

People who think removing drivers from cars will result in a renaissance of deep thought or great innovation and betterment of humanity make me laugh.

snoseek

Count me in as lazy haha.

Im patiently waiting for this. I hope in my old age to never have to drive again

deadheadskier

Staff member
Count me in as lazy haha.

Im patiently waiting for this. I hope in my old age to never have to drive again

It would be cool, but I hope there always remains a choice. Not much more American than the road trip. The experience would be totally different on autopilot

snoseek

It would be cool, but I hope there always remains a choice. Not much more American than the road trip. The experience would be totally different on autopilot
I dont know but selfishly i want this. A choice would be ideal although i would personally never drive again. Ive had enough for this lifetime

JimG.

Staff member

Choice?

That will not be possible with this new system. How could it be? There will be so much traffic that there will be no room for vehicles not linked into the system.

Your only choice will be where you want to go. Then get in your box and be transported there. I guess you will have to look at a schedule to see when you might be able to go where you choose.

Well there would be one excellent residual from this nightmare; since the new system will be foolproof there will never be accidents so there will be no need for car insurance anymore.

Right?

ScottySkis

Drinking not so much for me . enjoying Mary on way to the North Vermont more than once every two years .i can't wait for some computer to drive the car for me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's brand new. Think it opened as a dirt course last year, but are paving it now. One of my old X-ray coworkers races Mazda Miatas as a hobby and told me about it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Just checked out the pricing. Pretty nuts. Lowest tier is $15K initiation with an annual membership fee of $1500. That only gets you 6 track days a year

yeggous

Choice?

That will not be possible with this new system. How could it be? There will be so much traffic that there will be no room for vehicles not linked into the system.

Your only choice will be where you want to go. Then get in your box and be transported there. I guess you will have to look at a schedule to see when you might be able to go where you choose.

Well there would be one excellent residual from this nightmare; since the new system will be foolproof there will never be accidents so there will be no need for car insurance anymore.

Right?

This type of integration is a long way away. At first there may be a choice, but even that is not clear. Manufacturers are split on whether the first self driving cars should even have a steering wheel.

One thing that is clear is manually driven cars will be sticking around for the foreseeable future. They will likely be more expensive to operate / insure. And you will be stigmatized for it. Driving will legitimately be considered reckless behavior that endangers yourself and others.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app