• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Dangerous to be on the road these days

JimG.

Staff member
This type of integration is a long way away. At first there may be a choice, but even that is not clear. Manufacturers are split on whether the first self driving cars should even have a steering wheel.

One thing that is clear is manually driven cars will be sticking around for the foreseeable future. They will likely be more expensive to operate / insure. And you will be stigmatized for it. Driving will legitimately be considered reckless behavior that endangers yourself and others.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

My 2 oldest sons are engineering majors.

That said, you sound like an engineer.

Definitely not a salesperson.

Funky_Catskills

I'd love to have a car drive for me...
Was in a friends car that took over on the highway and then parked itself...
Amazing.. I can't wait for this to take over...
And none of you chest thumping/gear shifting freaks will ever change that in my mind... :)

JimG.

Staff member
http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...pilot-mode/ar-AAhOVGQ?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=UE07DHP

Setback for the industry, to kill a Yugo driver is one thing but chances are Tesla drivers can afford better lawyers.

I was just going to post this very article.

Neither the computer nor the driver saw the truck. Most drivers are capable of not paying attention already. Machines mirror people. Tesla's don't seem to pay any better attention to driving than people do.

Yeah, I'm ready to hand my life over to a machine. Good luck.

bigbog

I think Mercedes and BMW would have a better design than that..but who knows where the programs(s) is/are designed!...to lose sight...etc, but that's one of the problems with a machine's performance when you cut corners with 3D algorithms = depth perception issues..
There's always going to be a minimum and maximum in the coding theory..y/n?(I've been out of software a while..and never in that intensive applications), but not so! with human intelligence that has, supposedly, passed a driver's exam.. Reality is simply the fault of the tester and driver's physical ability...but eyesight does pick up on depth perception/distances...etc. There's a lot of parallel processing going on and beats me if the companies can spend that much on what a computer system would cost for such speed...

Last edited:

ScottySkis

The plot thickens:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dv...ies-say/ar-AAhRz6D?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

The CYA crap has begun. This will be the norm. The car will drive itself, I'm going to watch DVDs (or insert drink, do drugs, have sex, throw shit out the windows, moon other drivers, or act stupid in countless other ways).
Yes I be happy to die in a car driving me while having sex and smoking cannabis [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] I much safer more people who this is text and drive then if their off the roads

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JimG.

Staff member
Yes I be happy to die in a car driving me while having sex and smoking cannabis [emoji2] [emoji2] [emoji2] I much safer more people who this is text and drive then if their off the roads

Really? Happy?

Not me...these self driving vehicles will only be as safe as the humans inside of them. Here is some more proof of the utter ridiculousness of this concept:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news/tesla-driver-caught-sleeping-at-the-autopilot-wheel/ar-BBtpZno

We are well on the path to true idiocracy. We are becoming a society where skill, experience, education and effort are not valued at all. Everyone living according to the lowest common denominator. A society of obese do nothings with no physical skills or actual purpose other than to be a bag of protoplasm sitting and taking up space.

Not me.

ScottySkis

Jim I also sober horrible driver I believe for me and that part of driving population that these cars are better for us.

JimG.

Staff member
Jim I also sober horrible driver I believe for me and that part of driving population that these cars are better for us.

I've been a passenger in your car and I feel safe driving with you.

And I have no problem with a voluntary system that accommodates folks who prefer to be in a self driving vehicle. That's American, the right to choose.

I do not want to be nannied, especially not by the self-serving people who would run such a system. If you prefer self-driving vehicles then you should have that option when the technology is available. But that same courtesy of choice should be available to folks like me who do not choose to risk their lives that way.

freeski

They could be beneficial around large congested cities. But, they'll have problems and everyone will die. A train is about as simple as transportation can get. How many train accidents do we still have?

Edd

They could be beneficial around large congested cities. But, they'll have problems and everyone will die. A train is about as simple as transportation can get. How many train accidents do we still have?

The US is anti-train, for a variety of reasons, generally financial, natch. I say lets just dive right into it. Build more trains, fix roads and bridges for the benefit of all. We'll never get rid of cars.

JimG.

Staff member

Relax Hal's on the job
attachment.php

"Daisy....Daisy...."

JimG.

Staff member
The US is anti-train, for a variety of reasons, generally financial, natch. I say lets just dive right into it. Build more trains, fix roads and bridges for the benefit of all. We'll never get rid of cars.

Trains are simple and relatively free of tangential sales opportunities. No service or repair issues for the general public, no need for expensive collision and liability insurance and police can't write tickets. You can't rob the public blind with a train after the fare is paid.

As such trains are doomed to failure as a public transport system outside of cities.

ScottySkis

I've been a passenger in your car and I feel safe driving with you.

And I have no problem with a voluntary system that accommodates folks who prefer to be in a self driving vehicle. That's American, the right to choose.

I do not want to be nannied, especially not by the self-serving people who would run such a system. If you prefer self-driving vehicles then you should have that option when the technology is available. But that same courtesy of choice should be available to folks like me who do not choose to risk their lives that way.
Thanks Jim. Think what I meant to say I hate driving not fun for me and I feel for me I much rather have a computer drive me to my destination by choice and if Singh thing goes wrong I OK with That. I wish we had better train system here like Europe does.