• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

All Terrain Tires (Vehicles)

xwhaler

What models do people like/don't like?
Before the snow flies I will be getting new A/T's for my truck (Toyota Tundra) and my wife's SUV (Kia Sorento)

Early research has me leaning towards the Falken WildPeak ATW3's for the Tundra and the Yokohama Geolander AT G015's for the wife's ride.

Last edited:

ALLSKIING

Staff member
I have the General Grabber AT2 on my jeep. Probably get close to 100k on them by the time there done. Unfortunately AT tires only offer better snow traction in deep snow.

JDMRoma

Only thing I can add is the Geolanders didn't perform well on my wife's Montero when it was new. Barely made 40k and they were slicks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Terry

Those AT2s get awesome reviews. Definitely on the list to consider
Got them on my truck. Awesome tire. Super traction in the snow, pretty quiet for an all terrain tire and wear really good. Been on for 2 years and still look like new. I keep them rotated regularly.

Puck it

Stay away from Geolanders. They suck in wet. I have Toyo Open Country on the Zoomer Bar and are going strong at 60K. I will be looking in the fall. AT tires do tend to loose wet traction as they wear. Compound changes somewhat. I am looking at the Falken awesome or Coopers.

xwhaler

Stay away from Geolanders. They suck in wet. I have Toyo Open Country on the Zoomer Bar and are going strong at 60K. I will be looking in the fall. AT tires do tend to loose wet traction as they wear. Compound changes somewhat. I am looking at the Falken awesome or Coopers.

The Geloanders I'm looking at are a new model that is replacing the AT/S....early reviews have been positive.
It is the only A/T tire made in the exact size for wife's SUV. If I go to the Grabbers or something else I need to go to a slightly wider and slightly shorter (only by 1/10") 255/55/18

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R8G015XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

deadheadskier

Staff member
Obviously different model, but I recall Cannonball having really bad luck with Geolanders on his Forester in wet/snow. Not sure if it was a rubber compound issue or tread pattern.

xwhaler

Obviously different model, but I recall Cannonball having really bad luck with Geolanders on his Forester in wet/snow. Not sure if it was a rubber compound issue or tread pattern.

I believe those were the highway OEM tires that Subaru puts on cars off the manufacturing line.
The ones I'm considering are a new model of a deeper lug A/T tire.
Depending on how the sales are for 4th of July I will either go for them then for wife's car or possibly Labor Day sales.

Trying to decide what size I want with my truck...i.e. how much additional ground clearance I want to gain by using a taller tire at the sacrifice of additional weight.
Stock size is 275/65/18 but I may go up to 275/70/18...need to measure to make sure I have the clearance to still fit in the garage!

xwhaler

i had firestone destination ATs on my old jeep.

Among the A/T tire's I've owned on various vehicles in the past I liked these the best.
Ran them for 65k on my Tacoma before trading it in.
If they were available in the size for my wife's SUV I'd absolutely give them a strong look.

tumbler

Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2. Been using them on all my full size trucks and suv's for the past 12+ years. Excellent on wet roads, very good in the snow. Tread life not the best and depends on your driving style. I usually get about 50K out of a set. AT tires are softer to begin with so shorter tread life.

xwhaler

Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2. Been using them on all my full size trucks and suv's for the past 12+ years. Excellent on wet roads, very good in the snow. Tread life not the best and depends on your driving style. I usually get about 50K out of a set. AT tires are softer to begin with so shorter tread life.

I had those on an older Ford Explorer once...maybe things have changed but didn't like them as much as I had hoped.
This was 8 yrs ago however.
Did like them better than the Pirelli Scorpion ATR's though--worst excuse for an A/T that I've experienced.

bigbog

The Grabber ATs have ridden pretty well all year. If going a little larger...make sure the tire's aspect(or overall diameter) makes your vehicle's gearing happy....or up your gearing(if you want to put in the work/$$).
See if there's a forum or website dedicated to your vehicle with users/techs who can provide additional info.....

Last edited:

buellski

I've had the Grabber ATs on my Wrangler for a couple of years now. I wasn't all that happy with them. They were rather loud on the highway and didn't handle all that great on road. They did fine in the snow. Also, I wasn't really happy with how they performed off road. They didn't shed mud all that well and I typically had to air them down for even fairly tame stuff. I just replaced them with Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. First impression is that they are much quieter on the highway than the Generals and seem to handle much better. I have only taken them off road once and they performed quite well, but it's still too early to make the call on which is better. I can't say how they are in the snow since I haven't driven them in the snow yet, but the siping in the tread makes me think they may be better. That's my $0.02.

xwhaler

Those Duratracs get awesome reviews as well. I have heard tread life is not nearly as good as the AT2s but for my truck that gets driven less than 10k/yr that is of little concern to me.

Definitely something I will look at. Keep us posted how you like them. They are quite a bit more $ than the others.
Have read the Goodyear Authority is very similar and sold exclusively through Wal-Mart at a nice value $. Unfortunately not made above 17" diameter wheels so won't work for either vehicle I'm looking for.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Also looking at the Toyo Open Country AT2s for the wife's Sorento. We will see what Independence Day sales bring. Have read tread wear on those Toyos is outstanding for the class. Longevity is a bigger concern for that vehicle as we put 25k+ on per yr.

Last edited:

xwhaler

Pulled the trigger on some BF Goodrich AT KO2s today for the Kia Sorento. Overkill perhaps for a vehicle being used primarily on the highway but I prioritize wet/dry/snow traction over road noise or lowest price. These should last a real long time by all accounts I've read.

Discount Tire Direct made me a very nice offer once I asked them to price match a lower price I found. Some nice 4th of July sales going on right now if you look around.

They are on backorder now but should get them on in a couple weeks.