• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/riding better than ever?

Hawkshot99

I turn 30 next week, not exactly getting old, but older than I once was....
I am definatly a "better" skier now, than I was when I was 20. My skiing is much smoother and better looking. I have better techniques now. However I am not willing to go as hard as I used to. I still ski fast, but not full tuck runs to set high speeds on a gps, or as high speeds into the trees ot nayural terrain. When I get to real challenging terrain I do think about the consequences now.
I got better because of time on hill. From 21-27 I lived the on ski mtn life and skied 100+days a year. Its impossible to ski that much and not get better.

crank

RE ski clubs.

I was never a joiner until I stated dating my girlfriend and I joined hers. Really a fun way to go on a trip and have folks to ski with and party with. If it's a good group then strangers won;t remain stranger for long. However, if you are a new single guy who knows no-one in the club you might end up room mates with the weird guy or the super loud snoring guy. We have guys who join with friends and pair up on trips and we have lots of couple as well. Most of our members go on some of the trips and do their own thing as well. Some belong to more than 1 ski club.

Better. Stronger, faster. Just waiting for the grim reaper to say no more, however, There are a few 60 plus year old zipper line guys at Killington. They are going to be first 70 year old rippers. I am in awe of them and I cant imagine still doing it 10 years from now.

Domeskier

Better. Stronger, faster. Just waiting for the grim reaper to say no more, however, There are a few 60 plus year old zipper line guys at Killington. They are going to be first 70 year old rippers. I am in awe of them and I cant imagine still doing it 10 years from now.

SOG is incredible.

SkiFanE

I am getting better year after year. I'm 51 now. Definitely say my muscle memory keeps improving in the bumps.

Didnt get into bumps til my early 20s, started skiing at 5yo. My 30s I was having babies and skied just a handful of days each year, max. Bought ski house when I was about 38 and started racking up days quickly - to 50+. And challenging myself more and more each year. Out of sheer boredom with that many days at one mountain. Maybe because my 30s I didn't ski much (and ruin) - my knees are still as tough as they were in my 20s. I'm out each day as long as I can - outlast most folks I know. With a caveat that I'm in body preservation mode. If all there is to ski is ice or boilerplate - I'm done for day - not worth an injury.

Also started biking off season which keeps me in decent enough shape for winter. I have some aches/pains in my core after first day or two, but generally make out fine every day. Biggest issue I've noticed is if I'm dehydrated recovering from a tough bump day may be tougher - so always try to keep hydrated every day, all year - really makes a big difference. I'm very strong and strength and technique helps out in all situations. And overall, lucky to have good health. I'm afraid each winter that it may be "the one" that I get injured - which keeps me in check with crazy behavior - I don't let peer pressure push my down runs I have no business going down - I can do everything but if trail has a sheet of ice and double black - I pass. I'll go down rocks and stumps and moss and dirt - but ice scares the shit out of me.

So each year the hoots from the chair keep growing :)

Edd

At 46, I'm probably skiing with as much skill as I've ever had. 10 years ago my balls were bigger and fitness was very good. Now, not so much so I pick my terrain conservatively. I've never been a skilled bumper but I ski them anyway, for some reason. Tearing my ACL when I was about 40 took me down a couple of pegs. I'm ok with that because I've got plenty of room to get better without taking big risks.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I too am 58. Technique wise I am better than ever. Plus ski and boots have improved since I was in my twenties so skiing is easier. That being said I haven't near the strength and stamina I used to probably most due to being out of shape rather than age. I don't ski half as much as I like and I like less than half the time I spend not skiing.

bdfreetuna

33 now, skied as a kid until 18 years old and I was decent and on high school race team although not the best racer.

Picked up skiing again 5 seasons ago. Modern/updated gear is a big improvement, along with being at peak strength now allows me to ski more aggressively. Now, we have these things called helmets too. Without a helmet I wouldn't be doing half of what I do.

Basically picked up where I left off when I started skiing again but with much better skis I was able to advance further.

I expect to further advance as I have room for improvement and the desire to do so.. plus this is a new ski year for me and I think some Atomic Vantage 90 CTI or Nordica Enforcer 93s (still on the fence) should be a step up in gear.

Savemeasammy

I picked skiing back up at about age 40 after a 15 year hiatus. At 45, and I am probably a better skier than I was at 25. I'm not as good in the air as I used to be, but that just gives me something to work on!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

Frank C can kill it (for and old guy...!)

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
80 is the new 60 , Going on a bike ride tomorrow with my father in law ,86 and still got it! I can only hope I'm in the shape he's in if I make it . If he skied he would be able to . Ironically he broke a hip at 70 on of all things a Handicap ramp that wasn't painted . Parked his truck and jogged across the lot and didn't see the "new" ramp and tripped on it.

bigbog

...Added: a lotta slow stretching of ligaments/tendons around the hips in the early AM. I think there's something that is catching up to us who have had to live with a little discrepency in leg lengths..and haven't gone about correcting it in everyday footware...:idea: