What's the Best Lesson that You've Learned from Your Time Hiking and Backpacking? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbog View Post
    +1
    ...and better to make time and get out there and do it, even if it's non-epic.
    I don't know if that's a lesson or not...
    That IS a lesson. It's better to go with too much or too little than not go because you're missing some little thing you think is "essential". Like saying "Oh, I can't go because my tent and sleeping bag is too heavy (which is my excuse) or "I can't go because I can't find waterproof matches".
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

I learned that all Bears are smarter than your average Bear. They are amazing at figuring out how to get to your food hanging between two trees. I now put my food in a bear proof canister.

I have learned that tents with with large rain flys that drop water on the ground at least 1.5 feet away from your tent will keep you nicely dry. My North Face tent I purchased in 1973 is much better than anything you can buy today.

If you going on a day hike that may mean hiking out in the dark you will probably be hiking out in the dark. Therefore bring at least two flashlights that work. That hiking out of the woods in the dark with no moon and no flashlight is way overrated.

Weather that is about 35 to 40 degrees and rain is a real problem trying to keep your body temp regulated. No really!!!!!

Don't get lost and do your homework before entering the woods.

Always leave a note where you will be entering and leaving the woods.

Last but not least. Assume your cell phone will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by catskills View Post
    I learned that all Bears are smarter than your average Bear. They are amazing at figuring out how to get to your food hanging between two trees. I now put my food in a bear proof canister.

I have learned that tents with with large rain flys that drop water on the ground at least 1.5 feet away from your tent will keep you nicely dry. My North Face tent I purchased in 1973 is much better than anything you can buy today.

If you going on a day hike that may mean hiking out in the dark you will probably be hiking out in the dark. Therefore bring at least two flashlights that work. That hiking out of the woods in the dark with no moon and no flashlight is way overrated.

Weather that is about 35 to 40 degrees and rain is a real problem trying to keep your body temp regulated. No really!!!!!

Don't get lost and do your homework before entering the woods.

Always leave a note where you will be entering and leaving the woods.

Last but not least. Assume your cell phone will not work.
    ++1
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

You’re stronger than you think:
    Love this quote:

No matter how tiny or weak you are, backpacking teaches us how much we can surprise ourselves. Yeah, perhaps your backpack may be the same size of you (if it is, then pack lighter!), but at the end of the day, you carried it without any problems. It may have been uncomfortable at times, but it wasn’t impossible.

So true...

Thread Information