Ski, binding and boot weight considerations

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ski, binding and boot weight considerations

Up to this point I have never really considered ski or binding weight. However, after trying a pair of Icelantics I found the wight difference to be significant. The ski was much more playful in bumps kickers and chopped up powder. Browsing through shops I have started picking the skis I like and lifting them just to see the difference. Bindings - well the Salomon z12 ti (868g) is pretty light as a binding and is what I got for my wife and I have had them in the past. Recently I went to the Look PX 12 (1170g) which heavier by nearly 3/4 a pound. Now this does not sound like much but it all makes a difference when added up. I have them on a pair of Cham 96 which are also heavy. Below are weight charts for various bindings but I have not found anything like this for skis. From time to time under tech specs you find weights for skis and that is about it.

http://www.evo.com/ski-binding-weigh...-bindings.aspx

It seems like a ski and binding combination on the light side is around 6 lbs maybe slightly lower and the high end around 9 lbs maybe slightly higher. My current setup is around 8 lbs. So, I am looking into lighter gear and wondering if any of you have ideas for skis 105-155 underfoot that are on the lighter side.

Boots appear to be in the 5kg to 6.5 kg range and does that make a difference.

Is weight of your ski/binding combo a consideration for you?
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

J Skis stuff is pretty light. What length are you looking at because that makes a difference as well. I love my STH2-13s but Griffons are the lightest bindings I've owned and were very good as well
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

lightweight binding with heavy skis only will change total weight and may or may not change heavy feel of the skis.
    2 kg for 110 is my goal while my skis comparatively stiff. Not easy to make wide, stiff and lightweight skis
    6 pounds binding and skis for pair skis not realistic. 6--7 pound only for skis 100 – 110mm doable but then need to us a lot of carbon fiber

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    J Skis stuff is pretty light. What length are you looking at because that makes a difference as well. I love my STH2-13s but Griffons are the lightest bindings I've owned and were very good as well
    +1 on Marker Griffons, on all my skis.

I ski Ramps because they are made from bamboo which is very light but also very stiff when mixed with Kevlar.

I remember years ago a ski manufacture that had a weight in the tip for vibration dampening forget who it was . Is there a difference West vs East . More weight for East coast harder conditions?
    My total weight for my daily drivers is 11.5 lbs , If the Dukes are anything like the Griffon's that would be my next buy. Even though the weights up there I don't have any problem in the bumps or turning quickly ,76 underfoot.

Can't say that I think much about weight with Alpine gear. I just focus on the construction materials based upon the type of terrain and snow conditions I intend on using the ski on. If it's a hard pack carving ski, I'll want some metal in it, which will naturally make the ski heavier. If it's a soft snow and bump ski, I won't want metal in it and it will typically be lighter.

Regarding Alpine bindings, elastic travel and appropriate din are what I'm concerned with, not weight.

Weight would only be a concern of mine if I did a fair amount of touring, which Ive remained to lazy to get into even though I do have a set of skis mounted with Marker Dukes. The Dukes are probably too heavy anyways for someone who skins frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post

Regarding Alpine bindings, elastic travel and appropriate din are what I'm concerned with, not weight.

Weight would only be a concern of mine if I did a fair amount of touring, which Ive remained to lazy to get into even though I do have a set of skis mounted with Marker Dukes. The Dukes are probably too heavy anyways for someone who skins frequently.
    "Elastic travel" That's what I like about Marker toe piece design , the whole add pad moves outward in an arc from the heel fulcrum . I Boot up in the parking lot and no doubt pick up some small gravel on the bottom of the part of the boot that the pad sits on . This could be trouble for bindings that have a stationary pad . When toe height is adjusted I used to use a pice of plastic the thickness of a credit card , so a stone needs to be a little thicker to cause trouble .

Dukes were my first Touring bindings . I just didn't know how much the extra weight can kill your day , maybe if I started in my 20's it wouldn't matter as much .

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Can't say that I think much about weight with Alpine gear.
    You are young; perhaps you will feel differently in 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    You are young; perhaps you will feel differently in 15 years.
    Could be. However, I do see a lot of guys in their 60s in NH skiing on heavy race skis as we have so many boiler plate days. Probably not for next season, but I'll be replacing my Fischer Motives next and my desire is for a race ski with lots of metal. The Fischers are pretty heavy as is.

For lift served skiing, the weight you should be concerned with is swing weight. It can make a heavy setup feel light and poppy in the bumps. A lot of other build factors make a ski feel light and poppy. A heavy ski can be your friend in crud, so light is not always right. Now, if you're touring then, of course you give up down hill power for uphill efficiency. Daluge, borrow someone's Dynofit rig and take the same runs as your favorite Alpine rig, you'll see what I mean. Dukes and Barons are heavy bindings for touring, they are made for the occasional tour, or to get back up from a backside run.

Thread Information