• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched Beer League Racing - Slots Available

xwhaler

Looking to run some gates this winter after work. Anyone done or involved in either one of these programs?

dlague

I did the Pats Peak beer league. Very fun. They in operate jumps on the last race of the season.

dlague

I did the Pats Peak beer league and it was very fun! They put a 3-4 jump in the course on the last race day.

yeggous

I'd be happy to join a Crotched beer league team. I think they have the best deal around. I'd consider Pats too if they have a good deal on race registration that includes tickets.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

I'd be happy to join a Crotched beer league team. I think they have the best deal around. I'd consider Pats too if they have a good deal on race registration that includes tickets.

Well at Pats Peak you have a pass like card that is color coded so the day of the race you can ski all you want after 4. I would ski a couple hours before the race. At the time it was like 8 race days for $92.50 which worked out pretty well.

yeggous

At the end of the day I can be convinced either to go to either. Logistically there isn't much of a difference to me as the drive times are very similar -- just a bit over an hour drive to both. If you fill up a team, then the costs are also very comparable -- $109 (pass holder) or 149 (with tickets) per person at Crotched vs $700 per team at Pats.

I like that Crotched has a longer season (9 vs 7 weeks) and automatically qualifies you for the championship. Crotched also includes a brief clinic before the race, although Pats could offer something similar. Anyone know?

As far the non-race considerations, I like the vibe at Crotched which is much quieter, has a faster lift, and better snowmaking. Being a Peaks Pass holder already, this would be just the incentive I need to buy into the Crotched mug club too.

This is going to necessitate a follow-up thread... beer league race skis.

Vortex

Az had a Pats peak Monday team for a few years. We made it into the playoffs. It was a Nastar system, I went to the steamboat Nationals twice from that. Ga2ski was ranked in the top ten nationally I believe. We had a good time. Wed and Thurs nights are very competitive. I was asked to join a team again last year. I might be interested again.

yeggous

Az had a Pats peak Monday team for a few years. We made it into the playoffs. It was a Nastar system, I went to the steamboat Nationals twice from that. Ga2ski was ranked in the top ten nationally I believe. We had a good time. Wed and Thurs nights are very competitive. I was asked to join a team again last year. I might be interested again.

I think we are confusing beer league and competitive. My kind of race is the one to the bar. I actually am very interested in learning how to become a respectable racer. Until then I have a persona to maintain.

hammer

I joined the AZ group one year, was a lot of fun. Liked how you didn't have to buy separate lift tickets or a pass. Also liked how it wasn't too competitive...at least the night we raced.

JDMRoma

I think we are confusing beer league and competitive. My kind of race is the one to the bar. I actually am very interested in learning how to become a respectable racer. Until then I have a persona to maintain.

Are you sure you don't ski at Cannon ??
Sounds like we're all on the same page😎

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

yeggous

No, but I am a founding member of the Wildcat mug club. And a devout EICSL member. I have my priorities straight.

dlague

At the end of the day I can be convinced either to go to either. Logistically there isn't much of a difference to me as the drive times are very similar -- just a bit over an hour drive to both. If you fill up a team, then the costs are also very comparable -- $109 (pass holder) or 149 (with tickets) per person at Crotched vs $700 per team at Pats.

I like that Crotched has a longer season (9 vs 7 weeks) and automatically qualifies you for the championship. Crotched also includes a brief clinic before the race, although Pats could offer something similar. Anyone know?

As far the non-race considerations, I like the vibe at Crotched which is much quieter, has a faster lift, and better snowmaking. Being a Peaks Pass holder already, this would be just the incentive I need to buy into the Crotched mug club too.

This is going to necessitate a follow-up thread... beer league race skis.

Isn't every run a beer race? Or should I say a beer infused race.

xwhaler

Does Pats run the vortex every race night? I think I heard they do but if not not sure I could choose Pats and ride the other slow lifts.

xwhaler

Totally agree. For me the only advantage Pats has over CM is a slightly easier drive (50 mins of highway vs 1 hr of a good deal of back roads)

The skiing and everything is better at CM IMHO (unless you must have bumps)

Quietman

I could do a Crotched team! Didn't buy a pass so that would be a way to get me out. I'm still pretty fast, and at 50+ I get a good handicap! Raced in HS, college, and a few beer leagues.

xwhaler

I could do a Crotched team! Didn't buy a pass so that would be a way to get me out. I'm still pretty fast, and at 50+ I get a good handicap! Raced in HS, college, and a few beer leagues.

For sure Mark! So we need 2 more to make 5 for an AZ team.
$149 for 9 nights plus the social side is well worth it for me. Nice way to pair my Ragged pass for wknds with some midweek turns.

I can only do CM on Wednesday night.... Thursday doesn't work for me. I will send you a PM

tree_skier

I was part of the AZ team for years, not competitive at all as long as i kicked BobR's but it was tons of fun you might be able to find some old threads in the trip reports