• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spruce Triple - Sunday River, ME

mbedle

I would guess that the drive at the bottom of the mountain is set with a gravity footer, given that bedrock is most likely deeper in the valley. The towers don't have the same direction or amount of force that the return had applied to it. Force on towers is mostly down at the angle of the slope (An engineer can correct me on that). Also, I would assume that a large portion of the towers are set with footers and not anchored to just bedrock. The bigger concern, I would think, is the Locke lift return. Same situation and installed only a couple of years later. Key to this is determining why the grout failed. Did it fail on its own or because of some outside influences? If that grout failed on its own and the same grout was used on the Locke lift, that going to be an big issue.

SIKSKIER

From SR FB page:Spruce Peak will definitely be open this winter, we just don't know the status of the lift yet. As soon as we know, we'll share it

yeggous

Someone posted on another site that the insurance company condemned the lift.

Makes sense from their point of view. To rebuild that lift is to really open themselves up to liability should it ever fail again.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Does that mean the company is giving SR some money hopefully?

That'll make their statement of Spruce being open this year a tough one to follow through on potentially

Dickc

This actually makes a lot of sense. Look at the past performance of Borvig lifts in New England over the last few years. To repair this one would still leave the stigma of the other failures over it. If anything were to happen with this lift now, no jury would spare the mountain or insurance company a penny. Force a replacement, and if an accident happens, the insurance can say "we did our part, don't blame us".

drjeff

The reality is, timewise, a new lift could be installed in time for the season. Many ski areas doing new installations really don't do much of the actual installation work until September and after.

This also being a VERY LOW new installation year, especially in the Northeast, the chances of a lift manufacturer being able to deliver a new installation, even with a late start/order is much greater than in a year with a multitude of installations going on

We'll see....

crystalmountainskier

The reality is, timewise, a new lift could be installed in time for the season. Many ski areas doing new installations really don't do much of the actual installation work until September and after.

This also being a VERY LOW new installation year, especially in the Northeast, the chances of a lift manufacturer being able to deliver a new installation, even with a late start/order is much greater than in a year with a multitude of installations going on

We'll see....

I agree with you there is still time. But 2016 is the busiest for the lift manufacturers in North America in at least the last five years with 40 new lifts already announced and a handful more still likely to come.
2015: 35 new lifts
2014: 34
2013: 38
2012: 40

zoomzoom

who? where? would save us some googlage time.

"Someone posted on another site that the insurance company condemned the lift."

Quietman

Boy, this could really suck if the Locke triple is also grouted to ledge. Problem is, how do you test for this type of issue?

machski

The community site is probably good Intel. I would imagine if it is totaled, that is in relation to the fact it has 30 years of depreciation on it and the repairs would far exceed the residual value. I doubt this has anything to do with the fact it is a Borvig (note: not declared condemned, declared totaled. Huge difference here with insurance). BTW, the carpet loader could be reused with a completely new triple. Also, install time could be drastically reduced for an all new lift if many or most of the tower tubes can be reused. About half the tower tubes on the North Peak express are the actual tower tubes from the previous Borvig triple there.

Vortex

who? where? would save us some googlage time.

"Someone posted on another site that the insurance company condemned the lift."

Its on the Sunday River Community board. Sorry just saw Chuckstah posed this.

I had not heard this until this morning. SR has done a good job of keeping us informed of the status. We will get info when its official.

Last edited:

dlague

Looking at the trail map it does not look like much terrain would be lost even if they do not get around to replacing or fixing that lift.

Edd

Yes, it's a small part of the entire place but Risky and Amex are key blue trails that are open nearly the entire season. The central location of the Spruce pod makes it useful. Downdraft is steep and fun, when conditions on it are good, which is not often, IMO.

Newpylong

Looking at the trail map it does not look like much terrain would be lost even if they do not get around to replacing or fixing that lift.

Trail maps don't tell the whole story though. Spruce takes a lot of traffic. Good runs there.

If they do loose Spruce peak for the coming winter (as Edd points out it is a central location with good runs) would be smart marketing if they put in a gate and let people hike for turns. Short hike and some pretty good terrain that doesn't need too much snow on some of it and a whole bunch on other parts. Some of my most memorable runs at SR have come off Spruce Peak.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Trail maps don't tell the whole story though. Spruce takes a lot of traffic. Good runs there.

In addition to the good trails, the lift just makes it that much easier to head to the western part of the resort. If I'm skiing Barker and want to head out to Aurora or Jordan, I tend to take Spruce and traverse up high to avoid South Ridge and North Peak options.

machski

If they do not get a lift operational there, the may be able to do some limited snowmaking on 3 mile trail (it doesn't take much snow to open anyway) which allows direct access from Barker summit to the peak lodge. I have no doubt hiking will be allowed up Sirius if no lift.