• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spruce Triple - Sunday River, ME

Jully

But how does that compare to the other major lift manufactures during that time period?

It was his practices of welding in the parking lot of the resort that was a big critique if I recall.

Jully

Fair point. It can definitely be done well, and obviously 99% of his fixed grips were done well. A bullwheel collapsing is pretty serious though.

thetrailboss

Staff member

sull1102

Highland's site says they will be upgrading the anchoring to 3x's the NH requirements. I wonder how much of that is precautionary and how much of that is needed?

chuckstah

Good to hear they are being proactive with the Locke chair. Hope to be making turns off it in not much more than two months.

machski

Good to hear they are being proactive with the Locke chair. Hope to be making turns off it in not much more than two months.

Me too, but chairs are all off line, rope has been dropped off top three tower sheave sets and top operator shack has been gutted. A lot of work in the next 60 days from the looks of it.

Quietman

Me too, but chairs are all off line, rope has been dropped off top three tower sheave sets and top operator shack has been gutted. A lot of work in the next 60 days from the looks of it.

Still, Spruce will need a lot more work before the season starts!

machski

Still, Spruce will need a lot more work before the season starts!

Yup, the chairs are just dropped (not much else they could do) under the line, the haul rope has been cut at each summer trail crossing. Not sure all the chairs survived the lowering from what I saw today. For now, if the rope and chairs are not cleaned up, Gnarnia will be off limits this winter regardless of lift status.

machski

And the official answers:
Mountain Report

HELPFUL LINKS

Buy Lift TicketsSave On LodgingSnow GuaranteeWeather

Make Spruce Great Again

As you well know, the Spruce Peak Triple took a tumble this summer and we've been hard at work getting to the bottom of it. And while we'd love to sit here and share stories about the good old (slow) days on the Spruce Peak Triple that was, there are more important things to discuss. Namely, we'll be replacing the Spruce Peak Triple with a brand new lift.

"Say what?!" you say. Well, it's true.**Spruce is getting an upgrade! This fixed-grip triple chairlift from Doppelmayr, complete with a conveyor loading system, will get you from top to bottom a full two minutes faster, meaning you can ski Spruce Peak's signature corduroy two minutes sooner than ever before.

We're still noodling away at what this construction timeline will look like as we delve into engineering plans with Doppelmayr, but we just couldn't wait any longer to let you in on the big news! Have no fear—you'll still be able to hit American Express, Risky Business, and Downdraft this winter as conditions allow. Just take the Aurora Peak Quad to Borealis before a tiny hike up Sirius while we get down to business replacing the lift.*

What's more, we've already begun construction on another lift project, too. Much like an episode of*Pimp My Ride, we're getting a shiny new top terminal for the Locke Mountain Triple due to design similarities to the old Spruce lift. We expect this project to be finished right around opening day. Again, no worries. We'll still be first in the East to open, because if Locke isn't quite ready for action, we'll make snow on Aurora Peak to be accessed by the Chondola.*

And speaking of big news, we're still offering lift tickets at a discounted rate through our*Cold Front sale. Just pick the day or days you want to*ski this season*and see what kind of deals you can score. The sale is open through Saturday, August 20 at midnight.*

Still dreaming of warm sun and grass between your toes? Visit our summer activities page to get the lowdown on the*Mountain Park. We'll be over here, cranking the AC, donning down jackets, and perusing blueprints.*

Jully

So hike only terrain this season? Glad that they are able to move forward with a new lift at least!

Jully

Just read the report on SR's website. They do not rule out the chance of Dopp getting the new lift installed before the opening of Spruce for the season.

yeggous

I noticed the Locke Triple repairs too. Same story as the lift repairs at the Loaf after the previous collapses.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Good for them. Interesting that they opt to do a new version of what is already there instead of upgrading. Do they still make high speed detachable triples? Aspen and Alta have one each.

f6b83328-4ae5-469b-a6e0-846335dfdb86_d.jpg

as22.jpg

Actually....Aspen's is a double chair with three-person carriers.