• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Google "Street View" in the Backcountry?

ianscampbell

So I was recently made aware of this and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it...

Apparently Google is equipping "Trekkers" to go out into the backcountry and get street view style 360 photos of the trails that we all love to hike. On the one hand, it could have a great affect on the backcountry world and possibly even getting people to be more proactive in protecting our beautiful backcountry.

On the other hand, if it draws a bunch of people out onto the trail who don't know anything about LNT it could really have a negative impact on it.

I'm curious to hear what you think...

Here's a link to an article that talks about it: http://www.lovethebackcountry.com/become-one-google-trekkers/

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
So I was recently made aware of this and I'm honestly not sure how I feel about it...

Apparently Google is equipping "Trekkers" to go out into the backcountry and get street view style 360 photos of the trails that we all love to hike. On the one hand, it could have a great affect on the backcountry world and possibly even getting people to be more proactive in protecting our beautiful backcountry.

On the other hand, if it draws a bunch of people out onto the trail who don't know anything about LNT it could really have a negative impact on it.

I'm curious to hear what you think...

Here's a link to an article that talks about it: http://www.lovethebackcountry.com/become-one-google-trekkers/
Not a fan of the idea , but like the virtual skiing at Snowshoe

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wasn't there some sort of Kickstarter project where someone was creating an app and soliciting skiers to share off map terrain to upload onto it? Thought it was pitched here and not very well received.

ianscampbell

I heard about this for the first time a couple weeks ago and have since heard a lot of enthusiasm about the idea mixed with a lot of people wary about the impact...apparently the weight of Google is pushing this through where smaller groups haven't had luck...either way, it should be interesting to see how it ends up...