• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2016-17 Edition

dlague

Damn how many times do I have to say council/ski club days are not only for CT. It gets old.

I think everyone knows that by now. I was a member of one of the cluds a few years ago in my deal hunting days, family membership. Only used it once so the membership fee added to the cost of the lift tickets blew my average a bit. Had to many other options.

Jcb890

I think everyone knows that by now. I was a member of one of the cluds a few years ago in my deal hunting days, family membership. Only used it once so the membership fee added to the cost of the lift tickets blew my average a bit. Had to many other options.

We did the membership thing last year also and didn't wind up using it at all out of the 24 times I went last year. Now, granted, the majority of those were using my Wachusett Pass to go ride after work, but it just never seemed to fall where there was a deal on the weekend where we wanted to go.

And when we did, we wound up going to Mt. Snow on Sundays a bunch and with our Wachusett Pass we get 50% off on Sundays to Mt. Snow which is cheaper than the club pricing and club appreciation days.

We are debating joining a club again this year in the hopes that there will be much more snow and more chances to get to different mountains and use the discounts.

dlague

We did the membership thing last year also and didn't wind up using it at all out of the 24 times I went last year. Now, granted, the majority of those were using my Wachusett Pass to go ride after work, but it just never seemed to fall where there was a deal on the weekend where we wanted to go.

And when we did, we wound up going to Mt. Snow on Sundays a bunch and with our Wachusett Pass we get 50% off on Sundays to Mt. Snow which is cheaper than the club pricing and club appreciation days.

We are debating joining a club again this year in the hopes that there will be much more snow and more chances to get to different mountains and use the discounts.

Ya we just had to many other deals and it did not work out!

steamboat1

For me the deal is not with discounted skiing costs it's the discounted lodging costs which are quite substantial. I do realize most here are day trippers but for me 280 miles from central VT. that's not an option.

Last edited:

prsboogie

Look into C.A.S.T. $15 for a family of 4 plus $4 for the cards. Way less expensive then the majority of clubs out there.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gmcunni

Damn how many times do I have to say council/ski club days are not only for CT. It gets old.

perhaps most days are common to all clubs but my CT club card was denied last season when i was told the awareness discount day was only valid for NY and PA clubs. the discount was not on the CT club list, was on NY list. i hoped for the best, didn't get it.

gmcunni

Look into C.A.S.T. $15 for a family of 4 plus $4 for the cards. Way less expensive then the majority of clubs out there.

no brainer in my book. i have a season pass to Peak this year but will still join CAST for the kids and occasional visits elsewhere.

yeggous

For me the deal is not with discounted skiing costs it's the discounted lodging costs which are quite substantial. I do realize most here are day trippers but for me 280 miles from central VT. that's not an option.

The ticket discounts are nice and I agree that lodging is the primary savings. But the main reason I join a club is the social atmosphere and activities. There are numerous trips to join -- in New England, out West, and Europe. There is an organized race league. You always find people at the mountain to share runs and a beer no matter when you show up. And you know that if you go to the lodge there will be people around.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

steamboat1

The ticket discounts are nice and I agree that lodging is the primary savings. But the main reason I join a club is the social atmosphere and activities. There are numerous trips to join -- in New England, out West, and Europe. There is an organized race league. You always find people at the mountain to share runs and a beer no matter when you show up. And you know that if you go to the lodge there will be people around.
When I was a weekend warrior the social aspect of belonging to a club was important & nice. Now that I mostly ski weekdays more times than not I'm the only one in the lodge. The only time I see other members is at meetings & other social functions here in the flatlands or the rare weekend I go up to the lodge with my daughter. I have become friendly with quite a few of the regulars at my local bump so I get to share turns & hoist a few with them.

steamboat1

perhaps most days are common to all clubs but my CT club card was denied last season when i was told the awareness discount day was only valid for NY and PA clubs. the discount was not on the CT club list, was on NY list. i hoped for the best, didn't get it.
I find that odd. I conversed with the president of the CT. council a few years ago about if other regional councils were eligible to take advantage of CT. council days. He told me yes & that all the regional councils work together to promote these days. I know for a fact that different councils often purchase the bulk tickets for various areas & then distribute them to other councils. Some councils get a better deal on the bulk tickets because of their location & number of tickets they purchase. I know my club gets their bulk tickets from both the NJ Ski Council & the Metropolitan Ski Council of NY because they get better deals on NY/NJ tickets. I'm pretty sure both of these councils get their VT. tickets from the CT. Ski Council because they get the best deal on them. I've only used council appreciation days at Stowe & Stratton & never had a problem. My club belongs to both the NY & NJ councils but not CT. Where were you denied to use it?

gmcunni

I find that odd. I conversed with the president of the CT. council a few years ago about if other regional councils were eligible to take advantage of CT. council days. He told me yes & that all the regional councils work together to promote these days. I know for a fact that different councils often purchase the bulk tickets for various areas & then distribute them to other councils. Some councils get a better deal on the bulk tickets because of their location & number of tickets they purchase. I know my club gets their bulk tickets from both the NJ Ski Council & the Metropolitan Ski Council of NY because they get better deals on NY/NJ tickets. I'm pretty sure both of these councils get their VT. tickets from the CT. Ski Council because they get the best deal on them. I've only used council appreciation days at Stowe & Stratton & never had a problem. My club belongs to both the NY & NJ councils but not CT. Where were you denied to use it?

this happened to me @ Mt Snow. NY/PA had Mt Snow that weekend. CT had some place else on their sheet. i went to the ticket booth @ sundance lodge and asked for the discount price for the day. she said OK, took my card and then handed it back explaining that CT clubs were not eligible that day, only NY and PA. i played dumb and said i thought all clubs were same and she again said no, at least not that day. it wasn't a terrible ending. CT has an everyday discount @ mt snow so i still got a discount (group rate of the day) but it was $10 more than the better price NY/PA was getting.

Jcb890

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

We paid $25 for our membership last year which wasn't bad. They're all relatively cheap and we also did look at C.A.S.T., it was just disappointing that we didn't use our memberships at all last year. If we do a M.A.X. Pass and VT Ski 3, we may not wind up doing the ski club membership.