• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

splitting wood

yeggous

O-ring = not easy to replace? Sounds like someone previously had really beaten it down...
You're a good employer yeggous....I'd split your woodpile for $20/hr, not a problem8).

The splitter's owner picked up a new O-ring but it didn't properly seal. I'm not sure what went wrong, but he's looking for a whole new assembly for the hydraulic switch.

Minimum wage is about to go to $11 / hour in a few months. Given the amount of work involved, I think $20 / hour is totally fair. Hauling, splitting, and stacking wood all day deserves more than standing beside a cash register in an air conditioned store. Plus I want to make sure that I'm paying enough to get someone to actually care to do the job right.

I work for an employer who compensates and treats the employees well. I can see the difference in the commitment of the workforce here vs in my previous company. I want to foster that same environment.

freeski

Don't use anything but a wedge to hit with a maul. Axes are not hardened metal and they can splinter and ... If you're having a hard time splitting the maple wait for a day well below freezing. If no knots it will split like butter. I split about a cord and half every year by hand (an old hickory handled maul). Yep, about as manly as it comes. Old saying, wood heats you three times: when you cut it, when you split it and when you burn it. The ability to take a standing tree and convert it to a well burning fire is sadly becoming a lost art.