• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

urungus

Great conditions at Magic today and never had to wait at the chairlift ... where was everybody ? Went down Twilight Zone for the first time ever, much easier than I had expected and wonderful soft snow. Goniff looked a little rocky though.

RustyGroomer

Good stuff urungus. Glad you enjoyed. TZ was the run of the weekend. Here's one from Black. Both old & new liftlines in the background.

Attachments

• MNIAW-19-2.jpg
    MNIAW-19-2.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 131

PaulR

Was at Magic for the first time yesterday, brought the family. Great place, definitely coming back. Love it that there was zero lift line all day on a weekend. Having a lot of the trails ungroomed was a great experience for the little ones. Do they often let the mountain go "au naturale" like this?

MMP

Just like out west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

as soon as these pesky student loans are behind me, i'm gonna make some serious inquiries. that's anywhere from 2-5 years out depending on some personal circumstances.

icecoast1

Having a lot of the trails ungroomed was a great experience for the little ones. Do they often let the mountain go "au naturale" like this?

Yup. Easily the best terrain in southern Vermont. Kind of bummed I couldn't get up there for opening weekend

BenedictGomez

The problem with buying a place near Magic is their lack of snowmaking. You're basically playing Russian roulette on the snow, which isnt something I'd want to do with may ski real estate.

deadheadskier

Staff member
During dry spells, you can ski a multitude of places around Magic that have great snowmaking.

Wildcat is often not a place you want to be when it hasn't snowed recently. One of the smallest snowmaking operations for a mountain its size in the East. I just hit Attitash for the weekend if mother nature is unkind.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

I like the idea of owning a place in soVT where it’s only a 4 hour drive home. The other area we really like is lake bomoseen - 4 hours from home, 35 to killington, 70 to sugarbush, year round value, and higher value in the summer as a lake house when we would use it less and Airbnb it more. But lately I’ve been more drawn to Londonderry. As DHS said, easy enough to ski at Bromley or Stratton when the snow is not magical. I also have no qualms about basing in soVT and driving to wherever up north to ski. I do that now every weekend basically but start at 3 AM in NYC. I’m happy to drive up to my own place on a Friday afternoon. Leave at like 5-6 AM for Stowe/jay/smuggs whatever, drive back south to sleep and ski soVT on a Sunday. I know I have a higher tolerance for drive time than most, and I also know that that may change as I get older. We’ll see. What I do know is that I’m less keen on buying a place in the MRV/Waterbury than I used to br

Last edited:

NYDB

The problem with buying a place near Magic is their lack of snowmaking. You're basically playing Russian roulette on the snow, which isnt something I'd want to do with may ski real estate.

With the new management in place, from what I have seen the past couple of years, even in a bad snow year they would likely have 3 ways down the top of the eastside (trick, medium, magic carpet 'through the woods') and then wand to showoff, carumba to redline and hocus pocus and the lower half. Maybe even lower magic carpet. I think they'd be able to put in tali on the westside too.

Not terribly exciting but more than adequate. And this is before the newest snowmaking improvements.

Compare to the Okemo, Stratton, Mt Snow bad snow year 60 trails, with each trail being the same as the other trails and skiied of by 10am. I'll take Magic for a few turns. With the corduroy lasting usually until the afternoon.

The only thing I've seen that they can't do is quickly resurface the entire place after a rain/ refreeze. They are probably working on that with the new water capacity.

And as a plus, Magic is still trying to shake their 'only go on a powder day' rep so when its groomer only terrain it's usually a ghost town.

tnt1234

And their elevation is pretty low if I remember correctly....

But on the other hand, you have Okemo nearby, and K-ton is just an hour up the road...

tnt1234

I like the idea of owning a place in soVT where it’s only a 4 hour drive home. The other area we really like is lake bono seen - 4 hours from home, 35 to killington, 70 to sugarbush, year round value, and higher value in the summer as a lake house when we would use it less and Airbnb it more. But lately I’ve been more drawn to Londonderry. As DHS said, easy enough to ski at Bromley or Stratton when the snow is not magical. I also have no qualms about basing in soVT and driving to wherever up north to ski. I do that now every weekend basically but start at 3 AM in NYC. I’m happy to drive up to my own place on a Friday afternoon. Leave at like 5-6 AM for Stowe/jay/smuggs whatever, drive back south to sleep and ski soVT on a Sunday. I know I have a higher tolerance for drive time than most, and I also know that that may change as I get older. We’ll see. What I do know is that I’m less keen on buying a place in the MRV/Waterbury than I used to br

MRV would be my ideal, but the longer drive might make us use it less. Why have you soured on that area?

Don't know why I play this game with myself - not in a position to buy anything, and times running out....

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

Exactly. Also I'm sure the home value would be less than someplace that's near a mega-resort.

I dream of having a house on Route 100 between Killington and Okemo. That's 1,000+ acres of terrain, a blend of snowmaking/non-snowmaking, and still within 3 hours of driving from CT. When the gettin' is good Magic would be 45 minutes to the south and Sugarbush an hour north.

KustyTheKlown

MRV would be my ideal, but the longer drive might make us use it less. Why have you soured on that area?

Don't know why I play this game with myself - not in a position to buy anything, and times running out....

Not soured. It’s just too far and too expensive. I’d like to be ~4 hours from home. That seems to be the magic area, or lake bomoseen near castleton

KustyTheKlown

Exactly. Also I'm sure the home value would be less than someplace that's near a mega-resort.

I dream of having a house on Route 100 between Killington and Okemo. That's 1,000+ acres of terrain, a blend of snowmaking/non-snowmaking, and still within 3 hours of driving from CT. When the gettin' is good Magic would be 45 minutes to the south and Sugarbush an hour north.

Also less expensive to buy tho. I’ve seen many listings over the past few days near magic that suits my needs under $200k

And I’m cautiously optimistic about the future of magic and the viability of an investment. I also think I can mitigate that risk by finding something in town of Londonderry and not necessarily at the base or on the access road of magic. I found a house near the corner of 100 and 11 that I’d buy in a heartbeat if my financial situation was right. 7 min to magic, on 100 so literally down the road from okemo and k, walkable to the main strip of Londonderry and the limited stores restaurants and services over there