• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

NYDB

Who was the guy that kept posting & was betting it all on Magic being wrong & that that chair would not open this season?

Show up at the window & collect your money.

It was pretty obvious from xmas on that wasn't happening this year. Not that they couldn't have gotten it complete, but my family has been there a bunch of times this year and no one has seen a single person working on it anywhere. You would think if there was a winter to get a lift put in this would be it, due to the lack of snow and warm temps, but the contractor had other plans I guess.

at the end of the day, not much of a big deal. There are only 2 days remaining this year that they might need it from a lift capacity standpoint.

RustyGroomer

Great day yesterday! Can’t say enough about what Magic provided. Great snow just about everywhere including Talisman.

Squallz just showed up. Let hope they stick around.

slatham

Really nice today. Talisman was wonderful. Not whales but big moguls. I love that sort of 3D skiing. Not 100 percent coverage, as warned and marked but a great line down. I thanked Matt (Do Work) as he took a turn spelling Dave on the Red Chair late in the day. Clearly his crew worked their butts off in the window of cold available. That was a lot of snow to lay down. This is not your old Magic. Even the Chute on Wizard was fun for once. And it was clear that the coverage on Wizard was built to last. Its just that sort of year so far. Also the whole place was operating so smoothly with a very decent crowd and lots of day tickets (cash) evident.

Was there too and concur 100%, even thanked DW as well. They are making sweeeeet lemonade out of a lemon of a winter. Lets hope the turn toward a snowy February is here.

bdfreetuna

Have a couple Magic passes that aren't blacked out for the February vacation... was just seeing what I had for that blackout period... excellent

louisemann

My bf and I made it to the No Boundaries Free Day. Thanks to Magic and No Boundaries. A great day. I am an intermediate snowboarder and a little PTSD from some big falls over the past 7 years. My bf is an expert boarder and skier. He skied this day. We arrived at 8 and scored a nice parking spot up front. No crowds from 9-12:30. No lift lines. We stayed on the east side and loved all the blues we tried. Some were too bare so we passed. He went on the west side w/o me and said it was icy and not nice. Conditions were A OK but they could use a good snowstorm.

We like old school and smaller mountains such as Wildcat, Crotched and Shawnee to name three. The slow lift lines at Magic were a bit of a drag but the charm and views made it worth it.

The folks at Magic make it great. What a fun day!!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thinking of heading up Friday depending on what the accumulation on Thursday looks like. Hopefully more snow and less ice/rain.

Don't count on it. Magic gets screwed-over hard given it's southeast location and low elevation. Good for southern storms that have a easterly track, not for marginal cutters like this setup it.

Go West. Whiteface is probably the best bet for decent skiing this weekend. Maybe not the most snow on Friday but certainly the least amount of mix Thursday.

Personally I'm sitting this one out. My ski days would've been Thursday/Friday. The best case scenario for those days still has a period of ice/rain. Good base-building stuff. Friday night it'll all get coated with a few inches of snow if you're North enough and skiing will be decent.

hughconway

Who was the guy that kept posting & was betting it all on Magic being wrong & that that chair would not open this season?

Show up at the window & collect your money.

While it has been obvious since early October that there was a 0.0% chance of the quad getting installed & inspected this season, I really wish I had been wrong since this looks so bad for Magic. Again.

It's a great hill with an amazingly dedicated following, and I would like nothing more than to see 'Tragic' succeed. The problem is that the die hard followers are almost all drinking the kool aid and unable to accept Magic's faults. The new management team really seems to be pushing forward and getting traction, but the looong list broken promises tends to drive people away at about the same rate (or faster?) they pickup new customers with the laid back vibe & challenging terrain. I've spoken to quite a few people this winter who had purchased white out passes and other multi day passes based on the promise of the new quad and an expanded snow making pond to help cover the slopes in a marginal winter like we are experiencing. Most of these people will likely head elsewhere next winter, and it will be a lot more difficult to lure these scorned skiers back to Magic than it was to get them there in the first place.

reefer

I couldn't let Debbie Downer have the latest post. Again, I attended the No Boundaries day and Magic shined. We all have opinions but IMO there is no doubt to the commitment toward magic right now from ownership. We should be thanking them Magic even exist, never mind all the tremendous improvements the last couple years.
Another cup please - black raspberry.

https://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/142399-Magic-Mountain-2-3-20-FREE

urungus

While it has been obvious since early October that there was a 0.0% chance of the quad getting installed & inspected this season, I really wish I had been wrong since this looks so bad for Magic. Again.

It's a great hill with an amazingly dedicated following, and I would like nothing more than to see 'Tragic' succeed. The problem is that the die hard followers are almost all drinking the kool aid and unable to accept Magic's faults. The new management team really seems to be pushing forward and getting traction, but the looong list broken promises tends to drive people away at about the same rate (or faster?) they pickup new customers with the laid back vibe & challenging terrain. I've spoken to quite a few people this winter who had purchased white out passes and other multi day passes based on the promise of the new quad and an expanded snow making pond to help cover the slopes in a marginal winter like we are experiencing. Most of these people will likely head elsewhere next winter, and it will be a lot more difficult to lure these scorned skiers back to Magic than it was to get them there in the first place.

The red chair covers the exact same terrain as the black, runs reliably, is ski-on 95% of the time, and has a zillion times more charm than some Flatton retread. I don’t understand what the big deal is. Is the new black quad going to run faster or something ?

hughconway

The red chair covers the exact same terrain as the black, runs reliably, is ski-on 95% of the time, and has a zillion times more charm than some Flatton retread. I don’t understand what the big deal is. Is the new black quad going to run faster or something ?

An interesting kool aid induced defensive position, but if that were reality why would a cash strapped small business be spending $1-2 million purchasing & installing what you are calling an unnecessary and redundant lift?

(Hint: Another summit chair increases uphill capacity and overall reliability. I tried going to Magic on NYE 6-7 years ago, and the red chair was broken so there was no skiing. Also, iirc the rope on the red chair is at or very near the end of it's life and needs to be replaced.)

bdfreetuna

95% of people who go to Magic don't care what they're riding up. Most days Magic is ski-on or close, powder days you might wait a few minutes to get on Red. I haven't even been up there since they opened the Green Chair.

Having the quad is a good idea for the future and reduncancy but I echo Urungus sentiment. I'm guessing all these complainers HughConway mentioned are the type to spend money, then sit home and bitch about things out of everyone's control rather than going skiing.

Angry at the low snowfall? >>> complain about Magic not having "extra" lifts instead. Makes sense.

MG Skier

Yes, Magic needs a snow storm or two. They don't need the quad, would it be nice,.....sure but not necessary but it would be better for business I'm sure. Lift construction is what it is, there are delays, set backs and even unknowns!

I have to say the difference in product quality between Sunday January 26th and February 1st was astonishing! Sunday was very very firm on the groomers....Saturday was much better and there was snow to push around/off of. Considering they had to wait for temperatures (the wet bulb is a pain in the @$$) Magic put out an excellent product last weekend! Talisman is what it is early season...adventurous, but fun.

The natural trails were hanging in there too, dawn the rock skis avoid obstacles and ski it! I had a blast!

Keep it up Magic, it will all fall into place!

icecoast1

An interesting kool aid induced defensive position, but if that were reality why would a cash strapped small business be spending $1-2 million purchasing & installing what you are calling an unnecessary and redundant lift?

(Hint: Another summit chair increases uphill capacity and overall reliability. I tried going to Magic on NYE 6-7 years ago, and the red chair was broken so there was no skiing. Also, iirc the rope on the red chair is at or very near the end of it's life and needs to be replaced.)

So buy an epic pass or an Ikon pass. They have plenty of fancy lifts at their mountains. Maybe you and FBGM can ski together....

slatham

Don't count on it. Magic gets screwed-over hard given it's southeast location and low elevation. Good for southern storms that have a easterly track, not for marginal cutters like this setup it.

Go West. Whiteface is probably the best bet for decent skiing this weekend. Maybe not the most snow on Friday but certainly the least amount of mix Thursday.

Personally I'm sitting this one out. My ski days would've been Thursday/Friday. The best case scenario for those days still has a period of ice/rain. Good base-building stuff. Friday night it'll all get coated with a few inches of snow if you're North enough and skiing will be decent.

Models have been trending better. Too early to conclude anything, especially about the seconds storm Thur night into Friday. But a back side thump is a valid scenario.

bheemsoth

Models have been trending better. Too early to conclude anything, especially about the seconds storm Thur night into Friday. But a back side thump is a valid scenario.

I'm going to keep watching and make a decision on Thursday. Day trip from CT is really my only option, so Whiteface is certainly out. It doesn't seem like anything else in Vermont will fare appreciably better south of maybe Killington. If the weather doesn't work out I just won't take the day off and will wait for another opportunity.

tnt1234

Does 6-8" of wet snow at Magic by friday (seems like the best case scenario) open anything up? Or are the goods still thread bare?