• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ThatGuy

Was a beautiful day, got to end it on chair 16

Attachments

• 10890BD6-5BA5-4095-8605-3A0F551C41A0.jpeg
    10890BD6-5BA5-4095-8605-3A0F551C41A0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • 9760E40D-0A1B-44B1-8E0B-16F6ABAC05B1.jpeg
    9760E40D-0A1B-44B1-8E0B-16F6ABAC05B1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27

ThatGuy

Still lots of fresh snow in the woods

Attachments

• BB6D3C99-04BD-46BF-A02C-6CFC6D8E1866.jpeg
    BB6D3C99-04BD-46BF-A02C-6CFC6D8E1866.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 19

jaytrem

Great day at Magic today! Skied bumps bumps and more bumps. I do like bumps. Pitch Black is indeed a nice addition.

NYDB

Slushtastic afternoon here. Should be coral reef on the natural terrain after tonight.

Base should be locked in for the duration. Hope thurs-fri delivers.

ne_skier

How many inches is Magic expected to get by the end of the week? I've heard mixed reports, from virtually nothing to a foot.

slatham

Magic weather team forecasting 2-5”. Storm has been trending south thus lower amounts than previous. Have to see if that trend stops or hopefully reverses a bit. But 2-5” is current forecast.

ne_skier

Idk what it is about this season..this is a great snow year for South VT but an even better one for NJ and MA front yards

KustyTheKlown

Yeah euro has it way south. Latest Gfs still looks OK for so VT. We'll see who wins out.

single chair weather blog is more bullish, saying 4-8" as far north as the mad river valley

opensnow seems to believe the high end is about 6" and will be in southern vt and the berkshires

skiology matt is just annoying.

anyone skiing today? how bad was the firm up? fingers crossed for thurs>sat, 4"+ is enough to cover the crud and make it ski nice. I'll be there this sunday.

ne_skier

Hopefully they can get enough snow to coat the stumps on Pitch Black and the rocks on the steep part of Redline (Right below tower 15) to keep them open going into March

ThatGuy

anyone skiing today? how bad was the firm up? fingers crossed for thurs>sat, 4"+ is enough to cover the crud and make it ski nice. I'll be there this sunday.
Surprisingly good amount of people here for a weekday. Still ski on though, I'm guessing a bunch of people booked expecting a pow day and were sadly disappointed. The conditions are prime ice coast as expected but a few inches and we’ll be golden again.

NYDB

Yeah, I don’t know about that. A couples of inches will make the groomers awesome again especially after the 2nd groom tonight. But I think a couple of inches on the natural surface would just make it dangerous.

It’s shiny.

4+ might be ok If it’s dense.

current forecast is for 3-4 trending the wrong way.

beautiful day . Felt warm in the sunshine.

urungus

Latest Alpine Update, doesn’t look good for Black Chair :

On the Black Quad lift front, there always seems to be something. And, the engineering firm who designed the lift has come back with quite a few changes that need to be implemented by Pfister Mountain Services, including changing out some sheave assembly wheel combinations at a few towers and a major overhaul of tower 13 cross arm and uphill sheave assembly. None of this is a quick fix at this point in our construction phase and comes as unwelcome news. And, of course, tower 13 is in a very difficult spot to get to, especially for what equipment will be needed to execute the cross arm changes. No timetable or budget as been provided as of yet. We will continue to keep you posted as news warrants. Certainly frustrating after all this time as we'd like to see our money put to good use for you. All I can say is that the Quad will be a part of our future here at Magic so we can expand uphill capacity and lift redundancy as we grow.

KustyTheKlown

Ya know, VR has been getting hammered about the Attitash Triple not running all winter. So I don't know why Magic keeps getting a pass....

i dont know attitash well but isn't the triple their only summit access?

and vail resorts is a publicly traded mega corporation with infinite money, and magic is an independent group of hard core skiers who brought a gem back from the brink. not comparable

Newpylong

A) Magic has another lift right next to the quad.
B) Magic is an independent operator that has brought Magic back from being on life support, not Vail Resorts or their predecessor Peaks who had 13 years to replace the lift. Most folks are just happy Magic is running and the improvements they have made are phenomenal.

The Summit Triple at Attitash has been running since Christmas though as far as I know.

ne_skier

Ya know, VR has been getting hammered about the Attitash Triple not running all winter. So I don't know why Magic keeps getting a pass....
Because Magic has legitimate funding issues and has to work with another company (Pfister)'s budget and timeline, plus all the other companies they subcontract with. I've personally made my opinion clear that they shouldn't give out dates until they get the lift inspected, not that it affects me, I just think it's bad PR for no benefit, and after they couldn't make the MLK deadline they stopped making promises. There's a difference between a resort legitimately trying to get a lift installed but cannot do so as fast as other resorts due to lower-than-average funds and multiple problems popping up, and a resort conglomeration that refuses to give a penny to the east and leaves their skiers in the dark with broken, crappy infrastructure that they have zero intention of fixing or replacing.

cdskier

i dont know attitash well but isn't the triple their only summit access?

and vail resorts is a publicly traded mega corporation with infinite money, and magic is an independent group of hard core skiers who brought a gem back from the brink. not comparable

Plus if the triple isn't running at Attitash, that's a choice and/or staffing issue at the moment (and if it has had mechanical issues this year, then that's again either VR or Peaks failure to replace an aging lift), That is completely different than Magic having an engineering issue with a new lift install (that fell in their laps and wasn't even originally planned). It isn't like Magic hasn't been trying to get the lift install completed. The two scenarios could not be more different.