• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

ThatGuy

Magic has been transparent with everyone the whole time about challenges and delays while also facing the budget constraints of an independent resort. Attitash is owned by a mega corp who could resolve the issue easily but VRs priorities don’t seem to be on making the east coast resort experience better.

Cobbold

Magic has been transparent with everyone the whole time about challenges and delays while also facing the budget constraints of an independent resort. Attitash is owned by a mega corp who could resolve the issue easily but VRs priorities don’t seem to be on making the east coast resort experience better.
Looks like at big crowd at atitash today, per the webcam, is it always this crowded midweek?

skimagic

Additionally, magic skiers have been riding the red chair forever and are not demanding that the new chair open ASAP. Even with the 20+ minute waits at times, people are ok the red chair. The new black char is the future, it can wait another season. the future is always an abstract thought at magic -nothing to get worked up about. Just go ski and have a good time.

I've probably ridden the old black chair total of 3 days since the reopening of Magic in the 90's. i've ridden the green chair twice just to check it out.

KustyTheKlown

i've rode black on only one day ever when they had the ski the east freeride tour on black line. that was a fun day.

jaytrem

Last time I rode it they were giving out free Twix bars as you briefly waited to ride. It was 1988, funny what you remember.

skimagic

Rode it a few times the last year it ran. Despite being a total money pit it was a pretty cool lift, the triple chairs on the return side would fly over you as you waited in line
I remember thinking while on it, the chair should be condemned- it was a rusty creaky lumbering ride to the top. The off-load just cleared the top of "ramp" by a few inches, it was like you landed at the top rather than off-loaded. - worse than the green chair off-load. But I did see a guy going down the upper lift line on telegear, hopping a log then going down the insane ledge - it inspired me to buy a tele setup which i still hack around on and to ski the mountain as much as i can.

JoeB-Z

I've ridden Black a few times. I thought it was worn out junk. I called up the lift inspector for his opinion and he thought it was OK. So I kept riding it the few times it was running.

ne_skier

Super rare terminal design, the original manufacturer (Pohlig) only built one lift outside of Europe, that lift being Black (Then Blue). Thorner chose them after touring their facilities in Koln, Germany. Lift later received triple chairs in 1986 from the old Bear Mtn Triple at Killington, of course from a different brand. It was later upgraded with a Hall tower (American brand) and multiple Mueller sheaves (Swiss brand). Ironically, the addition of the triple chairs resulted in no increase in capacity from the double chairs, as they had to be spaced far apart to reduce strain on the motor.

skithetrees

For some odd reason I loved that bucket of bolts. Maybe fond memories of it from when I was young back in the 80s and early 90s. That said, it had outlived its service life and was kept going on a wing and a prayer. The replacement with the quad was an unexpected gift given all the other work to be done and a budget to manage. While it has taken longer to complete than intended (ask my wife about projects I do around the house—i give Magic full credit here), Magic is no worse off for now than if they had kept the triple. In the interim, we get a cool new trail and long term we get a great second lift.

ne_skier

For some odd reason I loved that bucket of bolts. Maybe fond memories of it from when I was young back in the 80s and early 90s. That said, it had outlived its service life and was kept going on a wing and a prayer. The replacement with the quad was an unexpected gift given all the other work to be done and a budget to manage. While it has taken longer to complete than intended (ask my wife about projects I do around the house—i give Magic full credit here), Magic is no worse off for now than if they had kept the triple. In the interim, we get a cool new trail and long term we get a great second lift.
Pitch Black is awesome, no doubt about it. Back around the time of the purchase I thought it would be replaced by the old Barnstormer lift at Haystack, now at West, NY.

SkiingInABlueDream

Last I remember riding Black was maybe 2013 or 14, it was a weekday powder day, not huge but decent. Happened to be Valentine's day also😅 I think Red was running as well but I didn't ride it that day because, remarkably, Black was running at full capacity, as a triple, and so there was a singles line which I used all day. I do remember wondering if Black was "straining" a bit, but it held up! For the day at least....😁

ne_skier

Last I remember riding Black was maybe 2013 or 14, it was a weekday powder day, not huge but decent. Happened to be Valentine's day also😅 I think Red was running as well but I didn't ride it that day because, remarkably, Black was running at full capacity, as a triple, and so there was a singles line which I used all day. I do remember wondering if Black was "straining" a bit, but it held up! For the day at least....😁
Even that's rare, every time I was there it overheated by 12. Before the replacement came along I think they might have been considering a motor replacement, but you guys probably would know more about that than I do

NYDB

Last black lift experience I had- 2 years ago I think- the lifties screaming at my oldest kid and goddaughter to lower the safety bar but they couldn’t move it. they told me they couldn’t budge it - it was rusted in place.

looking forward to the new quad debut 12/11/21.

Last edited:

slatham

Well Feb 14 2014 was a Friday and it was a huge powder day - 18”+. My wife told me to go ahead and ski magic. Not a day I’ll forget.

edit - based on some pics I just looked at Black wasn’t running.