• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JoeB-Z

I wasn't dissing. Today was good. You sound a little defensive. I'm saying that the natural won't hold up to huge crowds, same situation as MRG. Snow making needs upgrading before lift capacity increase. Good to see everything open.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

Good point and I was more than a little too defensive. I am also grumpy as I am off to shoulder surgery this week and my ski year is over.

I think the new pumps, repaired lines and new guns will make a big difference to sustaining snow coverage. Also the pond dam has been fixed. The temps and inversions really hurt the start of the year.

The situation on natural is not helped by people unable to make a single turn on the steep part of Red Line (for example). Sideslip it all the way (ok, one kick turn when they ran out of trail). No doubt big boasting ensued in the lodge.

chuckstah

Good point and I was more than a little too defensive. I am also grumpy as I am off to shoulder surgery this week and my ski year is over.

I think the new pumps, repaired lines and new guns will make a big difference to sustaining snow coverage. Also the pond dam has been fixed. The temps and inversions really hurt the start of the year.

The situation on natural is not helped by people unable to make a single turn on the steep part of Red Line (for example). Sideslip it all the way (ok, one kick turn when they ran out of trail). No doubt big boasting ensued in the lodge.
It's nice to see Magic had a record day yesterday, and kept up nicely with the crowds. BLT was also packed. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

Savemeasammy

😀

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

It's nice to see Magic had a record day yesterday, and kept up nicely with the crowds. BLT was also packed. Hope all goes well with the surgery.

So busy today (Sunday) that they stopped selling lift tickets in the afternoon!! 15 minute lines on both the black and red, packed deck, big crowd in the BLT, lots of smiling faces enjoy some AWESOME weather and a great day!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

So busy today (Sunday) that they stopped selling lift tickets in the afternoon!! 15 minute lines on both the black and red, packed deck, big crowd in the BLT, lots of smiling faces enjoy some AWESOME weather and a great day!!

Not that I would be happy to wait in lines like that, but this is great news for Magic. They need days like this to help recoup all the investment in the mountain this year and work towards making a profit.

I know none of us like skiing in holiday crowds or lines, but this is what is needed to keep Magic (and many smaller areas) viable.

mriceyman

Great to hear.. we will be back next year for sure

Euler

If you've ever skied a big resort on any weekend, much less a holiday weekend, what we had at Magic today was certainly not a "holiday crowd or line". It took about 1/2 hour a lap and the 10 minutes or so in the lift line was a welcome break after skiing the bumps and steeps. Even at full capacity, as long as both lifts are going the place is magnificent!

Scruffy

Was there today. What a great day of spring skiing in the middle of Feb. A little crispy in the morning, but things softened up so that glades, black line and red line were all doable. Woods were a little crusty. Best run of the day was red line, last run to the bar.
Most crowded I've ever seen Magic. Good news for them. Lift lines, pifft .. you don't mind standing in line in the sun, with like minded fools as much at a place like Magic, same as MRG. People get irritated in lift lines at places they're not happy to be at. It was a great day to be on the mountain.

drjeff

If you've ever skied a big resort on any weekend, much less a holiday weekend, what we had at Magic today was certainly not a "holiday crowd or line". It took about 1/2 hour a lap and the 10 minutes or so in the lift line was a welcome break after skiing the bumps and steeps. Even at full capacity, as long as both lifts are going the place is magnificent!
Heck, the most "problematic" line I dealt with today was in the BLT when the printer on the cash register behind the taps closest to the window broke, and it took maybe 10 minutes for them to fix it so credit card purchases could once again be processed!!

The warm sun on my face during my multiple rides up the running Black chair (and since literally from about 10 until beyond 3:30, EVERY chair went up a "full" double, I think its reliability isn't in question!) just felt great! And knowing that the vibe at Magic is really back, is such a great thing!!

ShadyGrove

Not that I would be happy to wait in lines like that, but this is great news for Magic. They need days like this to help recoup all the investment in the mountain this year and work towards making a profit.

I know none of us like skiing in holiday crowds or lines, but this is what is needed to keep Magic (and many smaller areas) viable.

Be glad you weren't at Stratton then. The gondy and snowbowl lifts were on wind hold on Sunday and lines ran well over an hour.

Awesome weekend. Black back just in time, great soft conditions, pretty much everything open. And just enough crowds to make us happy but not frustrated. I saw black run pretty much all day on Sunday without a hiccup. The chair just seemed smoother then past years.

Big props to management for making it all happen! Sure there are some kinks to work out. I'm sure DoWork and JamicaMan have a summer hit list a mile long. But in three months, yes they closed just three months ago, lift capacity increased 70+ percent and snowmaking increased at least 50%, with capacity to increase further. Plus lodge repairs, new bar, new rental fleet, new groomer, etc.

I was also impressed with the bar service. It might have been hard to tell, but they were probably serving 4.0x-5.0x the biggest days from last season. There was a slight increase in wait times but no nowhere near what they would have been without the satellite bar, new keg system, and burgers on the deck.

So fun to see it all in action last weekend!

Last edited:
What's Magic going to be like tomorrow re: crowds? I'm desperate to get out and not sure where to go this week w weather and holidays. Still have a couple of Freedom Pass days left and Magic seems like the best bet.

Any thoughts? See that Black's not running, but if crowds are light shouldn't matter.

2knees

Word is that the black lift was certified and will be spinning tomorrow!!

Sent from my SM

was there Friday and when they fired it up it didn't sound so good. Glad to hear they got it running for the weekend.

farlep99

What's Magic going to be like tomorrow re: crowds? I'm desperate to get out and not sure where to go this week w weather and holidays. Still have a couple of Freedom Pass days left and Magic seems like the best bet.

Any thoughts? See that Black's not running, but if crowds are light shouldn't matter.

you'll have the place practically to yourself

jrmagic

Im not aware of a technical issue closing the black chair. Unless someone says otherwise, Im assuming its closed because its not needed given the amount of skiers. Monday was very light compared to Saturday and Sunday and that was a holiday. Im pretty sure you will ha e a great time there tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N920V using AlpineZone mobile app

mriceyman

Theyre not gona spin 2 chairs on a weekday at magic

Thanks for the info. I'll be there from mid morning on. I know it's going to be warm and probably slushy at times, but the weather doesn't look good for awhile so I need to get out. Any other AZers there tomorrow?

JamaicaMan

Black runs when there is a need to run it. Weekdays it's not needed. Today was spring skiing at its best. It's February right?