• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
I was at Magic Sunday and there was bit of a line. When it came down to it maybe 10 minutes? Maybe 15. We just changed our tactics. Instead of ripped the cord top-to-bottom, we looked for bumps and attacked them. When you are panting, the first 5 minutes in line are no problem. :smile:

Reality is that if you want to ski places like Magic, they are going to have to sell some tickets. I know Plattekill pretty well and March turned this season around financially, from pretty bad to pretty good. I saw my first ever "lift maze" at Platty this month! When I see lines like that at Plattekill or Magic I smile.

jmarble

We also skied Magic on Sunday and the line wasn't too bad even with the race going on. Loved the terrain. Heart of Magician was the run of the day for us. Already bought tickets for this Sunday.

kingslug

Havent been to Magic in many years but want to. As far as lines and waiting in them. Music in the helmet. Works for me..Stowe has some serious lines...

The Sneak

Honestly the line Saturday was 10-15 minutes, I was timing it. Looked much worse than it felt. Look I was at Mount Sneaux yesterday and racked up 20something thousand vertical ft in a few hours of fast firm groomers, no lift lines, and that bubble chair.

But guess which ski day is the one I keep thinking about and which place I can’t wait to get back to?....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin

Magic is developing the problem (a good one I suppose) of being too popular for capacity.

But I'm just not going to go skiing anywhere where I have to wait 30 minutes for a lift, a slow lift at that so I can't see going there on a weekend anytime soon. Hopefully the bumper March can fund restoration to full functionality of the second lift which would do a lot. I'd also recommend raising prices on Saturdays to better fund improvements.

I'm not sure dumber shit has been posted. Stick to Mountain Snow or Stratton.

drjeff

OMG what does Hunter have to do with any of this?

What whenever we kick shit at something we need to kick some at Hunter too?

Let me take a stab at this......

In the minds of many Hunter ='s corporate.... Corporate ='s crowded and must come up with some funky resort nickname..... Crowded ='s the mountain must suck just because it's crowded... Hunter sucks :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Now the fact that Magic is having some success (and I for 1 am THRILLED for their crowds and increased business volume lately!!) Magic is having some of those other things (lift lines, occasional lift issues, you know things that most skis areas that are able to stay in business will have from time to time :rolleyes: ) that some people can't grasp and feel like their shouldn't have to deal with just because... It's kind of like what's going on with the beer culture right now... A small brewery makes a GREAT new beer... People who were fortunate enough because of proximity often to the brewery got to experience first, and then because they want the brewery to succeed, talk it up. The brewery starts seeing more and more demand and success, an almost cult like following begins, and then those who "arrived late to the game" finally get to experience it, and they then feel on some levels that they need to complain because, while really, really, really good, it didn't live up to the hype that they hoped for.... Kind of like getting non stop, untracked runs down Red Line or Black line at Magic in 18" of pure blower powder and you're the only one there since you heard that it's always empty..... Most of that can happen when the cards are in place, the "crowds" though, while far less than most other mountains, will still be there, and that is a disappointment to some!

I honestly hope that Geoff Hathaway has to make the call to stop selling walk up tickets as much as possible, and that people have to wait in what often isn't much more that a 10 minute line on the Red and/or Black if it's running as many days as possible until the snow finally melts out this season. The success is well deserved for all the hard work and at times big adversities that have had to be overcome this season! We all should be openly grateful for the success that Magic is having and the track that it's on now, rather than selfishly bemoan having to wait in some lift lines to get to enjoy that special terrain in great snow conditions!

RustyGroomer

THe slow lift comment cracks me up every time. That slow lift even with liftlines will crush anyone if they ski Magic like it's skiing now.

I guess i never put this one up.

Tin
28699034_10216196976540779_4687186064717549025_o.jpg

One of me. Tin pic.
29357193_10216240372146226_4106782658657151109_n.jpg

bdfreetuna

nobody is selfishly bemoaning anything. Guy just posted the obvious and looking for some discussion on it. Any other ski area that comment was made about nobody would jump his throat over it.

For me I love Magic but I will probably go there more often than I do now when they build out snowmaking capacity and get Black running. I realize that statement can be taken as hate speech by some.

That said I was at Magic on what was probably the longest line all year and it was a good time and the line moved pretty quick anyway. I don't worry about it a lot when heading there... but with Black running it wouldn't even cross my mind.

bdfreetuna

I'm saying it's a reasonable discussion not the "dumbest comment ever made on the forum" or whatever

not that I care to have it; my thoughts are short on this and it's already been discussed repeatedly

RustyGroomer

ok. Just "jump his throat" was a little extreme as well. My post anyway. No worries of course. We should all ski.

rtjcbrown

I'm saying it's a reasonable discussion not the "dumbest comment ever made on the forum" or whatever

not that I care to have it; my thoughts are short on this and it's already been discussed repeatedly

I agree. Everyone has different expectations for their ski experience, and he was expressing what his priorities were. People on the Stratton board might think I'm an ass for saying the gondola line is not worth the trade-off for the warm ride. Doesn't make me wrong to prefer a cold chair.
As for raising the price for Saturday, it is no different than Uber surge pricing model. I wouldn't do it, but doesn't make them wrong if they do.

RustyGroomer

More. Hardly ever see pics of me. Bankmang pic.

The camera really does add 20 lbs when it's tucked into your jacket. Haha
29244173_10156326193041177_632427951914890507_n.jpg
29244496_10156326193111177_6588599173587103224_n.jpg

bdfreetuna

i wasn't referring to you even in the slightest my friend. Had a Magic dream last night , starting to remember it now... funny I always end up at certain places in my dreams.

Hope to be up there for real this week , maybe next

makimono

Yes! Tin went Hi-Line in Hi-Viz for the winning shot!

And that RG pillow shot could be a poster in the BLT...

Attachments

• Magic Red.jpg
    Magic Red.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 86