The NEW Magic Mountain - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 77 FirstFirst ... 456781656 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 770
  1. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    I wonder what the plan is for West side routes for snowmaking?
    A couple yrs ago I recall skiing on man made on Talisman, Sorcerer and one year they actually blew snow the entire length of Wizard to the bottom.

    Wizard T2B probably takes a ton of snow so I wonder if they could reduce the costs by offering Bail Out (off Tali) and then blowing snow on Heart of Magician and Lower Magician?



    No idea if pipe works over there but just looking at the map would appear to be fewer total acres to cover while still providing multiple routes on the West Side.
    Don't quote me on it but pretty sure Heart of the Magician does not have snowmaking pipe installed. That being said another option for an additional snowmaking route on the west side would be to blow Witch and Bail Out to Blackline. I assume the piping on Blackline above Hocus Pocus is in disrepair and would require alot of snow due to the width and terrain however IMHO this may be the most important piece of trail to bury with snow. It's central to both the East and West sides, gives the ability to open other feeder/access trails that require less snow and most importantly is the biggest visual icon of Magic.

    First impressions are the most important so ask yourself what might go through the mind of a first time Magic skier driving up access road and seeing the rocks, dirt and brown of Black Line in it's usual state? The rest of the trails might be in great shape but seeing the most visible trail from the access road, parking lot and lodge goes a long way swaying the initial opinion in the negative direction before the consumers even get up on the hill. I wouldn't doubt that folks have driven in, looked at the mess up on Black Line and pulled a U-turn.
    Last edited by WoodCore; Aug 25, 2016 at 10:55 AM.
    "If you ride your bike everyday...... Your going to be a better rider!"

  2. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post
    Don't quote me on it but pretty sure Heart of the Magician does not have snowmaking pipe installed. That being said another option for an additional snowmaking route on the west side would be to blow Witch and Bail Out to Blackline. I assume the piping on Blackline above Hocus Pocus is in disrepair and would require alot of snow due to the width and terrain however IMHO this may be the most important piece of trail to bury with snow. It's central to both the East and West sides, gives the ability to open other feeder/access trails that require less snow and most importantly is the biggest visual icon of Magic.

    First impressions are the most important so ask yourself what might go through the mind of a first time Magic skier driving up access road and seeing the rocks, dirt and brown of Black Line in it's usual state? The rest of the trails might be in great shape but seeing the most visible trail from the access road, parking lot and lodge goes a long way swaying the initial opinion in the negative direction before the consumers even get up on the hill. I wouldn't doubt that folks have driven in, looked at the mess up on Black Line and pulled a U-turn.
    I think your logic on Witch to Blackline Is spot on. It is also less linear feet than getting Wizard to Tali and the runout covered, yet gives you a challenging expert trail. And the visual impact of clearly seeing snowmaking and solid coverage on Blackline is compelling.

    A few years back it was mentioned that the pipes on Witch/Blackline were repaired. Regardless, you won't know until they light it up and see if it holds.
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  3. #53
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but to those who know both, which is better on a good day: Magic Mtn or Saddleback? I skied Saddleback in 2012 in good conditions and thought it was a beautiful and fairly challenging ski area. I only skied Magic a couple days back in the '80s in marginal conditions when the groomers were decent, but the glades weren't open.

  4. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but to those who know both, which is better on a good day: Magic Mtn or Saddleback? I skied Saddleback in 2012 in good conditions and thought it was a beautiful and fairly challenging ski area. I only skied Magic a couple days back in the '80s in marginal conditions when the groomers were decent, but the glades weren't open.
    I would have to say Saddleback. The whole area serviced by the Kennebago Lift is probably larger than Magic and the are some serious glades up there. Also no run outs on to intermediate/beginner trails. Set up as pods. I could go on. Chair lift there is better too.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Sorry for a bit of a hijack, but to those who know both, which is better on a good day: Magic Mtn or Saddleback? I skied Saddleback in 2012 in good conditions and thought it was a beautiful and fairly challenging ski area. I only skied Magic a couple days back in the '80s in marginal conditions when the groomers were decent, but the glades weren't open.
    Saddleback by a mile.

  6. #56
    Yea love Magic but hard to compare a 1600' mtn with a low base elevation with a high Alpine 2k mtn with acres upon acres of terrain. Both are awesome in their own ways but can't really be compared to one another. Magic remains the very best 1500-2k vert mtn in New England
    2017-18
    Wildcat 11/19, 11/25
    Cannon 12/2


    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

  7. #57
    Went for a hike at Magic today and was very happy to see Red turning! The lift crew was doing some work inside given the rain. They have also started to prep the summit terminal of Black for some work too. Will try to upload some pics. Great to see work in motion.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017/18 =
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  8. #58
    As an low cost alternative to massive snowmaking upgrades a good trail clearing would go a long way in allowing the mtn to open on limited natural and/or man made. Hopefully the volunteer crews and mtn can make some good headway with that this fall either on weed wackers or heavy duty brush mowers.
    2017-18
    Wildcat 11/19, 11/25
    Cannon 12/2


    2016-2017 Days: 51
    2015-2016 Days: 25
    2014-2015 Days: 36
    2013-2014 Days: 25
    2012-2013 Days: 16
    2011-2012 Days: 25
    2010-2011 Days: 24
    2009-2010 Days: 47

  9. #59
    steamboat1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn,NY/Pittsford,VT.
    Posts
    6,613
    Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    He is still mad about Hans Thorner railing Mrs. Steamboat back in the day. Can't blame him for hating the place.
    Your a class act dude mentioning my wife (what a low life). You'd have a hard time keeping your hands out of your pants pockets playing with yourself if you saw my wife. Introduce yourself one day so I can kick you in the balls.

  10. #60
    Quote Originally Posted by xwhaler View Post
    Yea love Magic but hard to compare a 1600' mtn with a low base elevation with a high Alpine 2k mtn with acres upon acres of terrain. Both are awesome in their own ways but can't really be compared to one another. Magic remains the very best 1500-2k vert mtn in New England
    I give Bolton Valley the edge for low-key 1500-2000k vert. Then again that's another discussion.

    edit: Just realized Pico comes in at 1,967.. BV still wins when it's full on though

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

  1. reefer

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:31 PM.