• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

NYDB

I am sure most of you got the email, but $4500 to rent mountain for a day if a group can get together the $$ before 10/15. Can we get 18 people to pony up at $250 a head? each person can bring 5 people? 2/27/19?

Newpylong

Many mountains that are closed or have limited mid week hours are available to rent. Some just advertise it better. So it's nothing new.

Scruffy

I'm not sure who started it but Magic has had this policy in place for several years. Pico is also available to rent on their off days as well.

Makes perfect financial sense for these small mountains to offer their place up for private parties on their closed days, assuming they can get the staff they need on short notice. The reason they close some midweek days was due to lack of customers, so guarantee them some customers and they'll be glad to open for ya. Imagine booking them and then getting a powder day.

Smellytele

Makes perfect financial sense for these small mountains to offer their place up for private parties on their closed days, assuming they can get the staff they need on short notice. The reason they close some midweek days was due to lack of customers, so guarantee them some customers and they'll be glad to open for ya. Imagine booking them and then getting a powder day.

If it is a powder day The question is then will they open for others that day as is their policy on powder days?

NYDB

If it is a powder day The question is then will they open for others that day as is their policy on powder days?

I think that is a no based on last winter. I believe a manchester business (RK miles?) scored a powder day. Although I am not positive about it if it qualified as an official powder day or not. not sure if they prohibited uphill travel or not.

slatham

I think that is a no based on last winter. I believe a manchester business (RK miles?) scored a powder day. Although I am not positive about it if it qualified as an official powder day or not. not sure if they prohibited uphill travel or not.

That is what happened last year IIRC, and yes RK Miles. And if I rented the mountain and lucked out with a powder day I wound not expect them to open to the public. The good thing is it is highly unlikely that a private rental results in a big enough crowd to ski off the entire mountain. So the day after would offer plenty of powder.

sull1102

I mean if I rent the place and pay that much cash it means good or bad weather wise. Just like I'm sure a group cannot cancel suddenly because of weather it wouldnt be fair for them to take away your upside. Also though, you create really great lasting memories for everyone in that group because of how good it would be.

Smellytele

I mean if I rent the place and pay that much cash it means good or bad weather wise. Just like I'm sure a group cannot cancel suddenly because of weather it wouldnt be fair for them to take away your upside. Also though, you create really great lasting memories for everyone in that group because of how good it would be.

As a day tripper I guess you need to call ahead on powder days that have 6" or more to make sure it isn't rented out for the day. Is this the same as season passholders as well?

IceEidolon

I'd say call ahead on powder days anyway, since a microclimate might have taken a marginally 6" day below the threshold locally or they may not be able to open enough terrain (thin cover under the powder) to open.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

ShadyGrove

Magic has been really good about posting on social media about powder days in advance of most storms.

The RK Miles day last season was during a storm so it's unlikely that Magic would have opened that day anyway. I can attest that the next day was killer and the mountain was most certainly not skied off.

I'd be curious how many extra powder days they have opened for (Mon-Weds) over the last few years. I doubt it's more than a 2-3 per year.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I just don't understand how on the Throwback Thursday's if it's a powder day they charge full price. So if it snow's 4" (I've been there when it has on Thursdays) you pay $29 or whatever...but if it had snowed 7" they charge the full rate of $70+...for the same cafeteria, same lifts, same overhead had it been a non-powder day.

slatham

I just don't understand how on the Throwback Thursday's if it's a powder day they charge full price. So if it snow's 4" (I've been there when it has on Thursdays) you pay $29 or whatever...but if it had snowed 7" they charge the full rate of $70+...for the same cafeteria, same lifts, same overhead had it been a non-powder day.

If it's Thursday and it snows 7" it's not "Throwback Thursday" it's a "Powder Day". Both are made up promotion days based on certain criteria. This is a well a known documented policy. They also give people the heads up in advance if they expect the Thursday to qualify as a Powder Day. Personally I'd be happy to fork over the extra money for a mid week Powder day at Magic.

By the way, was April 7th a great surprise April Powder day or what?

IceEidolon

It's supply and demand. Days with high skier demand (and therefore higher service levels, including potentially more lifts and grooming/trackpacking on some green trails) cost more.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

mister moose

That sure was a faster than expected trip from

"Magic is a great place with great terrain and a great vibe that has been struggling to stay afloat so much that volunteers do trail work and it needs all of us to help pitch in, spread the word, and lend a hand anyway we can"

to

"How dare they try to make a few extra bucks offa me, they're ripping me off!!!"

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That sure was a faster than expected trip from

"Magic is a great place with great terrain and a great vibe that has been struggling to stay afloat so much that volunteers do trail work and it needs all of us to help pitch in, spread the word, and lend a hand anyway we can"

to

"How dare they try to make a few extra bucks offa me, they're ripping me off!!!"

lol...I like Magic but that policy irks me completely.

Before anyone says "Well if you don't like the policy don't ski there on a Thursday powder day!!" to which I respond..."ok".

chuckstah

lol...I like Magic but that policy irks me completely.

Before anyone says "Well if you don't like the policy don't ski there on a Thursday powder day!!" to which I respond..."ok".
Ya,. That policy irks me also. Last season I went to buy a Thursday ticket, almost a week ahead, and it was billed as a power day. $29 I'll pay from time to time away from the home hill. $70 ish, not so much. And it did end up a power day. I need to follow Magic's weather guru. Hope I make it back this year. I'll be sure to buy my Thursday ticket 8 days out next time.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Do Work

Magic HAS to charge top dollar for powder days, half the people that come to Magic ONLY come on such days to shred. Infuriating as that trend may be, the fairweather frugal need to either get all the way on board with a season pass or just buy some skins, we've got bills to pay haha