• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

mriceyman

With the sale looking final and a new ownership group in place I felt it was necessary to start the place off from square one. Lets hope from here on out this magical place(- the patroller snipping passes for not having the bar down and having only 1 lift to rely on) only gets better and can return to giving the great memories we all seek to have. I can only hope this winter provides us with plenty of powder to let us enjoy the mountain and starts the new crew on the right foot(err boot?). Also a big thanks to all the volunteers who make the experience better for the rest of us. Its a new era at Magic and I hope it lasts a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

infusionstudio

Very excited about the news! Looking forward to seeing how the new management takes it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mriceyman

Hopefully they can push that mid-December opening date 2-3 weeks earlier after a few years of improvements.

Yea we dont need November but before christmas would be good for the place

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bdfreetuna

Considering their snowmaking capability, Mid December is most likely!

Supposedly they have 70% capability once they fix some lines. Have to assume a longer season goes hand in hand with "reliability" and "consistency" they speak of improving. Then again I'm not going to ski Magic until it's mostly open and in nice shape anyway.

benski

I don't see Magic as an early season destination since its snowmaking would still be inferior to the major resorts. Until those resorts get crowded or magic has natural snow trails open I don't see it being a good option for day ticket skiers.

bdfreetuna

I don't see Magic as an early season destination since its snowmaking would still be inferior to the major resorts. Until those resorts get crowded or magic has natural snow trails open I don't see it being a good option for day ticket skiers.

Don't forget late season. There's a new player in town. Whales of snow on Green Line.

WoodCore

Supposedly they have 70% capability once they fix some lines. Have to assume a longer season goes hand in hand with "reliability" and "consistency" they speak of improving. Then again I'm not going to ski Magic until it's mostly open and in nice shape anyway.

Capability to cover 70% when all the pipes are fixed is true however the biggest issue with Magic's snowmaking system lies in the capacity and efficiency. I would assume that being able to move more water up the hill at any given moment to new energy efficient guns would be a top priority in improving the effectiveness of the system.

RustyGroomer

A Magic thread that doesn't start with "what the............??," sign me up for this. Thanks for the much needed change.

slatham

After starting the "what the heck" thread I agree with RG and this new thread that it's time for a change. I had a couple of beers with JM today and a new Magic is in fact being born. Incredibly exciting. Incredibly challenging. Could be incredibly satisfying, but we all need to help out in our own ways: Volunteer days. Ski Magic well before its 100% open. Bring the family for a tube session (and then dinner). Bring a friend or two. Spread the word. RG and a select few do this better than most (and me). We need more to join the faithful.

Sitting back and waiting for a foot of pow, or a crowded holiday weekend at your favorite corporate resort, ain't gonna cut it.

Long live Magic, The New Magic.

zoomzoom

very exciting news!
re: tubing, wondering what you plan for the "bumpers" or "people catchers" at the top of the run-out? the aichholz gang (shudder) had frozen haybales.

deadheadskier

Staff member
$1 to maybe $2 million investment over 5 years isn't going to cut it.

A. How would you know as you don't ski there?

B. The new owners have said they will have reserve capital. They also could pick up additional investors.

C. Thanks for being so kind as to wait until at least the second page of the new thread prior to inserting your typical Magic negativity.

Tin

C. Thanks for being so kind as to wait until at least the second page of the new thread prior to inserting your typical Magic negativity.

He is still mad about Hans Thorner railing Mrs. Steamboat back in the day. Can't blame him for hating the place.

sull1102

$1 to maybe $2 million investment over 5 years isn't going to cut it.

Agree with you to some extent, curious what those who disagree with you have in their mind for a number. Surely it can't be much lower than $500,000 a season for improvement and cleaning up old problems.