• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

bdfreetuna

Jeeeez I skimmed sull1102's post and totally missed the muh racism "call out" !

Thanks for backing me on that one shwilly ... how absurd !

I'm just gonna block this guy, rather than mess up this thread any further (I'm sure Magic really wants to see racism accusations and resulting arguments in their thread)... what a loser and so ignorant to play that card.

BenedictGomez

Who's a capitalist and who isn't? Who sincerely believes that businesses should have the right to set prices where ever they choose?

I'm a capitalist. I also sincerely believe that businesses should have the right to set prices where ever they choose.

But I also sincerely believe you're conflating multiple issues in non sequitur fashion.

There is a difference between, "can I do something", and "is said something smart for my business". If Tuna is correct and Magic is jammed to slope capacity on each Thursday powder day, then it's likely their policy is doing little harm.

What businesses don't charge more for their most desirable product?

Given you're defining "most desirable product" as powder days, the answer is, virtually every ski area in North America.

BenedictGomez

Context matters. If someone were grousing about "city kids these days and their baggy pants," then yes, you might fairly call out racial overtones.

No. That too would be absurd.

In fact, in nigh all these "faux racism" cases it's typically the person who can find racism just looking under the couch who is actually the racist.

MMP

I'll take this off topic just briefly. Dont be such a donkey! I am so sick and tired of this a-hole attitude from people that say crap like "the saggy pants crowd" guy get with the times, it isn't 2005 anymore. AND idrc if you're a little racist and backwards but boy oh boy is there a pretty healthy dose of racist sentiment when you say things like "saggy pants crowd" so I'll call you on that too. The park crowd has changed a lot over the past few years and I see a whole hell of a lot of your "crowd" creeping through the park year round doing your little kickers and such so you may pretend you hate the parks and oh the young saggy pant crowd is so unbearable then go to MRG and have a goddamn ball when the natural snow is nowhere to be found. Should I be coming on here talking about how I can't stand the preppy tight pant race kids and lodge moms running around like they own every single mountain and base lodge they invade on any given day? Taking up every square inch of the place. AND BTW the parks and the younger crowd are what keep YOUR SPORT ALIVE. I'd even argue the "park crowd" has benefitted MRG in the sense that people with suck attitudes such as yours go to MRG more now than you would if they allowed all people that enjoy the mountains. While the older crowd ages out us younger people is practically funding these places now. As we go from the park back to the bunny hill with the munchkins that we introduce to the sport we most certainly are a part of the same sport. That is just such silly complete garbage and really strikes a nerve with me.

Jesus Christ. Chill out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MMP

This is great way to present yourself as an owner.

You should know I've been to your joint twice since you took over. Not a ton of revenue sure, but you won't ever see any from me again.

He’s not the owner.

I am.

Idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

Only a couple months away from posting overly optimistic NAM 3k CONUS models :lol:

Shifting back...

How's black chair replacement looking for this year? Even just adding Green will be a ser upgrade. Wondering if you were still on track with the quad too?

JamaicaMan

Only a couple months away from posting overly optimistic NAM 3k CONUS models :lol:

Shifting back...

How's black chair replacement looking for this year? Even just adding Green will be a ser upgrade. Wondering if you were still on track with the quad too?

Zero state permit on Quad

Next year

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

prsboogie

I think this is a great idea...I got a $12 Powder Day at Mount Snow a couple years ago because of it. They didn't charge me another $65+ when I got there :razz:
And you would have just paid $29 if you bought your ticket online like you did at Snow. What part of pre-purchased tickets that happen to fall on a powder day are not up charged. I was at Snow that Founders day and it was fantastic, they we're also charging $59 for a walk up. What's the fucking outrage for that!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

skiur

Nothing to add, justed wanted to post in this epic thread!

ShadyGrove

I'll take this off topic just briefly. Dont be such a donkey! I am so sick and tired of this a-hole attitude from people that say crap like "the saggy pants crowd" guy get with the times, it isn't 2005 anymore. AND idrc if you're a little racist and backwards but boy oh boy is there a pretty healthy dose of racist sentiment when you say things like "saggy pants crowd" so I'll call you on that too. The park crowd has changed a lot over the past few years and I see a whole hell of a lot of your "crowd" creeping through the park year round doing your little kickers and such so you may pretend you hate the parks and oh the young saggy pant crowd is so unbearable then go to MRG and have a goddamn ball when the natural snow is nowhere to be found. Should I be coming on here talking about how I can't stand the preppy tight pant race kids and lodge moms running around like they own every single mountain and base lodge they invade on any given day? Taking up every square inch of the place. AND BTW the parks and the younger crowd are what keep YOUR SPORT ALIVE. I'd even argue the "park crowd" has benefitted MRG in the sense that people with suck attitudes such as yours go to MRG more now than you would if they allowed all people that enjoy the mountains. While the older crowd ages out us younger people is practically funding these places now. As we go from the park back to the bunny hill with the munchkins that we introduce to the sport we most certainly are a part of the same sport. That is just such silly complete garbage and really strikes a nerve with me.

Exhibit A

Count the number of long johns in the park sections vs the freeride/backcountry segments.

prsboogie

Oooookay.

Lower bull wheel now locked and almost loaded as haul cable splicing likely to happen on Friday.

View attachment 24013

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
This chair is going to get me and the family to Magic this year. The kids wouldn't have had a problem but my wife wouldn't have flown off Red! Can't wait to ski some Throwback Thursdays.! JM youzz guyzz going to Boston in November?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

GregoryIsaacs

I feel like 95% of the "you can only get away with vibe for so long" people have never even stepped foot in Londonderry let alone ridden up the red chair.... or eaten lunch at BLT.... Ill stop before I even mention the trails.

Its funny that people cant wrap their buff covered heads around the fact that a ski area like this really only makes money for 1/3 of the year.... and the fact that ownership would wanna make it while they can while literally pulling the whole operation from out of the grave..

But hey maybe if Magic got a Tram like JH they could be worth the extra $30...what a joke

- A Mount Snow passholder who can't wait to bring family and friends after skiing Magic for the first time last year.

bdfreetuna

With the green chair I'll be recommending Magic to a handful of friends I have that seem to be perpetual beginners. Literally they are afraid to take any lift to the top of any mountain, so Green is perfect.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
But I also sincerely believe you're conflating multiple issues in non sequitur fashion.

There is a difference between, "can I do something", and "is said something smart for my business". If Tuna is correct and Magic is jammed to slope capacity on each Thursday powder day, then it's likely their policy is doing little harm.

Right. As a business owner you make a lot of decisions. Good decisions should help you thrive and bad decisions could hurt you.

Was the OP saying that this was a bad business decision for the future of Magic? If so I misunderstood. To me it sounded like he was saying he'd been wronged.

And you are right about what Tuna said. When you reach capacity, it is time to raise prices. Especially if long term success is not assured. AKA the ski business.