• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Do Work

Lots of exiting news but the "Green pod" trail and snowmaking work tops my list - especially having lower Carpet and Vertigo covered with a solid and early base will be awesome.

Yeah that whole lower east side is getting a ton of attention. Magic Carpet is such a nice trail, but it's suffered badly from thin cover and huge water bars in the past. Adding snowmaking to it will drastically improve the user friendliness and reliability of that whole beautiful area.

As for the Yurt, any structures will either be set back in the woods or be down on the plateau where the lift drops skiers. The snow bar on the actual corner will always be a thing, and Ops is going to be getting into making some sweet bars for the BLT this season. The best thing about Sunshine Corner is that it has two completely different views- one from the snow bar looking out on the valley and the other farther out on the mystery end of the unloading plateau looking up at Goniff/TZone & Trick... There isn't a bad place to be over there! Also it's important to remember that the Green Chair is being set up for summertime usage, meaning that structure is tied into our future off season functions as much as they are for winter. :thumbup:

Newpylong

You guys reconnecting Mystery at the top or too much work for this year to get that back?

So much good stuff going on down there, love to read about it.

urungus

As for the Yurt, any structures will either be set back in the woods or be down on the plateau where the lift drops skiers. The snow bar on the actual corner will always be a thing, and Ops is going to be getting into making some sweet bars for the BLT this season. The best thing about Sunshine Corner is that it has two completely different views- one from the snow bar looking out on the valley and the other farther out on the mystery end of the unloading plateau looking up at Goniff/TZone & Trick... There isn't a bad place to be over there! Also it's important to remember that the Green Chair is being set up for summertime usage, meaning that structure is tied into our future off season functions as much as they are for winter. :thumbup:

Great yurt update :) Really glad to hear that the snow bar will live on...

Do Work

You guys reconnecting Mystery at the top or too much work for this year to get that back?

So much good stuff going on down there, love to read about it.

We're certainly going to try. It would need to be reconnected at the Mystery valve house and then we'd have to chase down the individual breaks from there. Not a small task. I'm really hoping we can get to it though, Mystery has the absolute worst runout of any trail on the hill IMO. Those water bars on the flats are BRUTAL. Eventually that line needs to get extended (it now ends at the beginning of the runout) all the way down to the upper loop return line so we can make it a lossless system, but that's another story- likely one for next summer when we're over there working on putting pipe down Kinder :cool:

I could nerd out for hours talking about changes to pipe I want to make happen, but right now it's all prioritizing. Lots on the plate at the moment, and we've got a limited crew to handle it. I'm really looking forward to next summer though, then I'll have enough time to truly get down in the dirt and tie up some loose ends/glaring inefficiencies that weigh on my psyche like a massive hangnail. The fact that we have so many drains and a small pond causes me physical pain when I think about it (OW!)

Do Work

Great yurt update :) Really glad to hear that the snow bar will live on...

It is going to get even better! We were just doing the bare minimum with it last year, but we are really going to get artistic and creative this season. It's just too much fun for the guests to not take to the next level!

Newpylong

We're certainly going to try. It would need to be reconnected at the Mystery valve house and then we'd have to chase down the individual breaks from there. Not a small task. I'm really hoping we can get to it though, Mystery has the absolute worst runout of any trail on the hill IMO. Those water bars on the flats are BRUTAL. Eventually that line needs to get extended (it now ends at the beginning of the runout) all the way down to the upper loop return line so we can make it a lossless system, but that's another story- likely one for next summer when we're over there working on putting pipe down Kinder :cool:

I could nerd out for hours talking about changes to pipe I want to make happen, but right now it's all prioritizing. Lots on the plate at the moment, and we've got a limited crew to handle it. I'm really looking forward to next summer though, then I'll have enough time to truly get down in the dirt and tie up some loose ends/glaring inefficiencies that weigh on my psyche like a massive hangnail. The fact that we have so many drains and a small pond causes me physical pain when I think about it (OW!)

Oh I know all about that lol.

Can only do so much.

slatham

I have been remiss.........

Latest from JM.

READ MORE

THIS WEEK

THE LATEST

August Already!

Wow, the summer is flying by...

We had a fabulous wedding last Saturday for Matt and Courtney and the wedding party lasted well into the night. The lodge, mountain, kitchen and bar all put its best foot forward and there is no reason why we can't be doing more great events here, especially as we soon tackle the renovation and expansion of the outdoor deck this September.

One event that is ready to go after we get Act 250 approval in two weeks for the opening of the disc golf course (now named Magic Mountain National Disc Golf), is the 1st ever combined golf/disc golf 18-hole tournament in partnership with our friends at Tater Hill Golf Club. Our "Master Magician Golf Biathlon" on September 1st will also raise funds for The University of Vermont Children's Hospital. It should be a fun time with great prizes and dinner. I'm sure we'll have many first time disc golfers, too. There's room for 30 two-person teams in the scramble format at a cost of $100/person. Tourney sponsors include Josh's wines and Fiddlehead Brewery so the on-course tastings and party afterward at the Black Line Tavern and deck area is sure to be happening. To register or for more information, send an email to info@magicmtn.com. Anyone not playing the tournament will be welcome for post tournament games of skill to raise money for the charity and join in the outdoor BBQ dinner. Come kick off Labor Day weekend a day early here at Magic.

Out on the hill, you can tell the days are starting to get shorter as the mowing of the trails has begun so snowmaking and mother-nature will have a nice tight surface for the snow to accumulate come November. The crew continues to work on the Black Lift to move, grease, and match-mark all the chairs. The back-up APU motor is also being worked on so it is in prime shape, with Travis, our head of lift maintenance and chief mechanic, taking the lead on that project.

Over on the Green Lift, Matt and Tim are continuing to clear around the lift towers so the bases can be grouted and Ferd continues to make progress on refurbishing and painting of the chairs.

Speaking of painting, we are now looking at colors to paint the lodge and that project begins in earnest next week. It will be a whole new look that's for sure!

Hope every one is enjoying summer as we here at the mountain can't stop thinking about getting ready for winter!

slatham

Also, note the first Volunteer Day will be Saturday September 2nd! Rumor has it there will be at least 2 more this fall.

slatham

Well no sooner did I post the above and Magic sends out the below Alpine Update. Wow they have been busy, and looks like they have a ton to do post August 18th VT Act 250 approval. I hope all goes well!

SUMMER WORK AND SUMMER FUN!

Let's talk about the fun stuff first.

We are officially opening the new Magic Mountain National Disc Golf Course Friday August 18th! It starts as a 9-hole course but by next year will eventually be a full 18 holes. Disc Golf is one of the fastest growing sports which every one can play. It's a fun way to get out and enjoy some friendly competition while winding through the trails and woods of Magic and scenic southern Vermont. The "club house" will be the 2nd floor of the lodge at the Black Line Tavern. Disc rentals are available for $5 and we will have others for purchase. It only costs $5 to play a round so it's a great family sport with lunch or dinner afterwards at the Black Line Tavern. The course will be open Thursdays-Sundays from 11am-7pm and on holiday Mondays through this Summer-Fall.

Master Magician Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon Tournament September 1

Join us for this fun new event at our new course with the 1st-ever combined Golf/Disc Golf Tournament! No, you don't have to be good at either Golf or Disc Golf to enjoy this event. Pick a partner (it's a 2-person better ball/disc scramble event) and help a great cause as a portion of proceeds support the University of Vermont's Children's Hospital. We play 9-holes of golf first at nearby Tater Hill Golf Club sponsored by Josh Cellars Winery (yes, there will be tastings) and then head to Magic to play 9-holes of disc golf sponsored by Fiddlehead Brewery (ahh, tastings again) and Prodigy Discs. There's a BBQ dinner after and live music with Saints & Liars at our Black Line Tavern. There will also be games of skill to support the charity at the Fiddlehead After Party. The dinner (for purchase) and music is open to the public but tourney players have it included in their $100 tournament fee.

It's a great way to get a head start on Summer's last big weekend. So grab a partner and register now as there are spots for only 36 2-person teams.

Okay, enough of the fun, now here's an update on all the work being done this summer:

- Green Lift (Base-to-Mid Mtn): Lots of work done, but lots still to come. The painting of the bullwheels and chairs continues and we just received shipment this week of the new comm line which stretches all the way up the lift lne. The new haul cable is expected to arrive the 1st week of September. The ops crew led by Matt, Tim and AJ have been clearing the lift line of trees, branches and brush and the area looks beautiful. The tower bases are cleared out as well so regrouting of the cement bases can proceed. Travis has also been working on refurbishing sheave trains and wheels. The sheave trains, bullwheels and gearbox are all going back in after refurbishing by late September. We are still looking at potentially having this lift ready for Thanksgiving weekend. It will take a herculean effort and a number of things have to fall into place but that is still the goal!

- StarLift Conveyor Lift at the new Nelson Family Learning Center: While the new 170' lift is being manufactured for the new beginner area, we have worked closely with the Trailside Condo Association to get an agreement in place for an easement to use part of their land for the beginner slope. That agreement is in its final stages and we thank all the homeowners at Trailside for assisting in making Magic an even better place to ski, ride and purchase property!

- Snowmaking: Over 1500 feet of new steel pipe has arrived for our project to replace old, leaky base area snowmaking pipe with good new American steel to improve the efficiency of our snowmaking system with increased pressures at the top of the mountain for our new HKD guns. Once Vermont State Act 250 permitting approval occurs on 8/17 we will be good to begin digging and welding. Matt will be in the dirt for quite some time putting his welding skills on full display. In addition, we have tested the pipe system with water and have identified areas where other leaks may be and new hydrants are necessary as we look to expand snowmaking on to trails that have not seen any since the 1980s. Other major snowmaking projects (stream, pond and dam) are separately going through various state agency permitting and approval processes which have taken more time and therefore will not commence until next year. We are still working with the state to bring back the old Thompsonburg Brook pump this fall to supplement the snowmaking pond's water replenishment for this season given our objective of making more snow earlier and on more trails than ever before this century at Magic.

- Lodge: For those that have been to the Black Line Tavern and the wedding we just held at the mountain, they have a good feel for how we are opening up and brightening the space. An energy efficient foam barrier from our local friends at Vermont Foam Insulation is now in place in the upper lodge and the wood rafters and trusses are now exposed. Low hung ceilings on the sides of the bar area are being removed which further adds to the view and feeling of spaciousness there. This week we begin the painting of the lodge--you literally will not be able to miss it now! And, an entire new deck gets put on come September to expand its size and make it an even better place for weddings, big events and winter activities.

Magic Gear is now online for purchase

The website is now taking orders on selected clothing--a great new shipment of polo shirts just arrived and we are already replenshing some stock in other items that went quickly.

Volunteer Day is scheduled for September 2nd
Come work the hill or around the lodge (man, there's plenty to do). Meet-up is 9am at the base lodge. And, think about heading up early on Friday to play in the Master Magician Biathlon Golf Tourney!

And, finally, a special thanks to all who supported the Green Chair sponsorship. There are only 5 chairs left to sponsor and it's a testament to our ski community's desire to be involved, help, and put your own lasting mark on this special mountain. There's no better winter community in the world. Thank you!

- Geoff, SKI MAGIC LLC
P.S. For those that haven't ordered season passes, our pre-season rates will save you a lot and can be purchased below. And be sure to pass along our latest updates to your friends who are looking for REAL alternatives to corporate resort skiing! Thanks

IceEidolon

I hate to hear you won't have as much water as you'd hoped this season - with the new HKDs you oughta be maxing the pumps on startup, or at least close right? At 1000 GPM that's just three and a half days of water.
I bet the new pipe helps some - even a 10 gpm leak wastes 50k gallons over three and a half days, and it sounds like every little bit's going to count.
Any estimate for how much the Thomsonburgh Brook pump flows?

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

slatham

I'll let Do Work or JamaicaMan comment on the particulars, but I know that their pumping capacity is not yet up to 1000GPM. The good news is the pond has a very quick refill rate, even without Thompsonburgh Brook, and I don't recall in years past them ever running the pond dry (to be fair, the snowmaking effort this coming winter will be significantly higher than previous years). But if they can get some water from Thompsonburgh - which assumes both approval and adequate flow - that would be great and maybe take water off the table as a potential issue.

JamaicaMan

With our pond's strong refill rate plus a 500 gal per minute withdrawal rate from the brook at high flow periods, then we shouldn't have an issue. But are going to push the early season snowmaking so we shall see. (Of course, need to get that formal approval to bring back the brook pump withdrawal from the state.)

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

IceEidolon

I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be a problem, and here's hoping the brook pump permit goes smoothly. I just hate the thought of idle snowguns at 15 degrees.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

JamaicaMan

We are a go with our Act 250 permit!

(In terms of Green Chairs, every one has be spoken for at this time.)

Volunteer Day coming up Sept 2 right after our 1st tournament on the new disc golf course. Come on over for both!

slatham

We are a go with our Act 250 permit!

(In terms of Green Chairs, every one has be spoken for at this time.)

Volunteer Day coming up Sept 2 right after our 1st tournament on the new disc golf course. Come on over for both!

Freakin' HUGE!!!!!