• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

JamaicaMan

How did the quaffing comp go or was it delayed due to the cold temps? Seems like a better springtime challenge.

Moved it indoors, post-awards for TUCK IT. Both these highly skilled events were all about speed. 🍻

slatham

As a side note, the groomed way down that Brownie did - Wizard/Broomstick/Upper Black Line/Unnamed crossover to Heart of Magician/Link/Lower Black Line (with solid man made base for Tuck It) was a great and unique cruiser!

JM/DW, with half of Black Line done, you going for the rest soon? Witch to Back Line!

RustyGroomer

That's more an age thing I think. Magic's liftlines are all the old original lines. None of this clear cutting junk that became popular in the 80s. But back in the day thats the way pretty much all NE mountains were: narrow. I guess to preserve snow.

I guess the exception would be Black Line. Black Magic is nice and narrow but once you come down onto Black Line proper its a wide open clear cut. IMO I like Black Magic more than Black Line itself because of that.

Black (Blue Liftline) had trees skiers right. The clear cutting BS of the 80's did not escape Magic. Witch, Tali, Blue Liftline were all cut wide. Black chairs were added to make it a triple. Growing up Talisman scared us more than any other trail. It was narrow, steep, & looong.

skimagic

Black (Blue Liftline) had trees skiers right. The clear cutting BS of the 80's did not escape Magic. Witch, Tali, Blue Liftline were all cut wide.

The top of witch is always nasty, maybe that's why - cut into the hill at odd angle. I don't mind the width of black line, cool ledges to play on.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I went to Magic for the first time this season Thursday... great snow. Terrain is in great shape. Had a great time for $29.

At the risk of being burned alive at the stake by AZ for the crimes of "un-optimistic vibes towards thy Magic Mountain"... that Green chair is not getting finished this year. Hope no one's holding their breath. It's just towers and terminal frames. No bullwheels or anything.

urungus

As a side note, the groomed way down that Brownie did - Wizard/Broomstick/Upper Black Line/Unnamed crossover to Heart of Magician/Link/Lower Black Line (with solid man made base for Tuck It) was a great and unique cruiser!

Which direction does “Link” go ... I am confused ... in slatham’s comments above Link is going from Heart of Magician to Black Line. But in this thread from last season slatham indicates that Link goes in the opposite direction, from Black Line to Heart of Magician. http://forums.alpinezone.com/showth...in-West-Side?highlight=Easiest+Magic+Mountain

Sometimes Broomstick is groomed all the way down to Black Line, and sometimes that grooming continues down skiers left of Black Line and cuts down Link back into Lower Heart of Magician.

It is not clear on trail map either, the line for Link is nearly horizontal. I guess is slants very slightly from right to left (Heart of Magician to Black Line)?

EB04AE39-B019-4ECE-906D-2EDDCCAAEFFB.jpg

skimagic

Link goes from BL to HoM. Meets a crossover trail (bail out) that goes back to BL. Bail out contination not shown on the new map. Its A lower link.

slatham

Link goes from BL to HoM. Meets a crossover trail (bail out) that goes back to BL. Bail out contination not shown on the new map. Its A lower link.

Yes confusing, and I thought I knew the mountain! Broomstick, Black Line, take a left down Link to HOM (comes into HOM in same location as Bail Out comes in from Talisman), ski HOM down to the unnamed crossover (a continuation of Bail Out) back into Black Line.

To make it more confusing, that last crossover actually has two parts, one allowing you to ski FROM Black Line into HOM, and one that goes from HOM into BL.

Oh, and one more. Further up BL, just down hill from where Broomstick comes into BL, there is another, unnamed crossover going from BL into HOM. I am sure this was to allow those who strayed all the way down Broomstick and accidentally found themselves on BL a way to get back to HOM and live to ski another day.

Needless to say, I think I need to study the mountain a bit more - I'll start next weekend!

JamaicaMan

I went to Magic for the first time this season Thursday... great snow. Terrain is in great shape. Had a great time for $29.

At the risk of being burned alive at the stake by AZ for the crimes of "un-optimistic vibes towards thy Magic Mountain"... that Green chair is not getting finished this year. Hope no one's holding their breath. It's just towers and terminal frames. No bullwheels or anything.

Yes, we've said Green is a 2018-19 project after the death of our key contractor and have mentioned that in multiple updates. We can't work on it during the winter and must contract another lift installer to work with us come spring.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

urungus

Yes confusing, and I thought I knew the mountain! Broomstick, Black Line, take a left down Link to HOM (comes into HOM in same location as Bail Out comes in from Talisman), ski HOM down to the unnamed crossover (a continuation of Bail Out) back into Black Line.

To make it more confusing, that last crossover actually has two parts, one allowing you to ski FROM Black Line into HOM, and one that goes from HOM into BL.

Oh, and one more. Further up BL, just down hill from where Broomstick comes into BL, there is another, unnamed crossover going from BL into HOM. I am sure this was to allow those who strayed all the way down Broomstick and accidentally found themselves on BL a way to get back to HOM and live to ski another day.

Needless to say, I think I need to study the mountain a bit more - I'll start next weekend!

Thanks for the info ... I took the “live to ski another day” route today (run #3) ... my first time down Broomstick! Was fun zigging and zagging back and forth between the runs. Conditions were great, the sun was out, only thing missing was the bar at Sunshine Corner :smile:

C664AD54-F6A7-49AA-8D87-1F55797A9367.jpg

slatham

Thanks for the info ... I took the “live to ski another day” route today (run #3) ... my first time down Broomstick! Was fun zigging and zagging back and forth between the runs. Conditions were great, the sun was out, only thing missing was the bar at Sunshine Corner :smile:

View attachment 23011

Nice. I see you also hit Sorcerer, one my many favorite trails at Magic!