• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

GregoryIsaacs

"With the desired upper terminus end point about 300' to looker's right (looking up the mountain) of the Red terminus area, the new line will bring the lift further away from the trees on looker's right as it works it way up the hill and gradually toward the middle of Black Line by the final cliff section and then over more toward looker's left side of Black Line as it passes the Witch intersection and up into the woods on looker's left of the famed Black Magic section."

Any idea of how much added vertical is anticipated from the top of red? Im exited to see this in person to get a better idea of the "new" black line terrain

JamaicaMan

"With the desired upper terminus end point about 300' to looker's right (looking up the mountain) of the Red terminus area, the new line will bring the lift further away from the trees on looker's right as it works it way up the hill and gradually toward the middle of Black Line by the final cliff section and then over more toward looker's left side of Black Line as it passes the Witch intersection and up into the woods on looker's left of the famed Black Magic section."

Any idea of how much added vertical is anticipated from the top of red? Im exited to see this in person to get a better idea of the "new" black line terrain

Same vert as Red now.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

I'm interested to see what the new terrain under the top of the Quad and skiers right of Black Magic looks like. My understanding is this will be a totally new line and would certainly offer a challenge.

Down further it looks like the new lifeline might widen the very lower part Black Magic - down hill of the cross over from Witch??

Can't wait to get up there in a couple of weeks.

Smellytele

I'm interested to see what the new terrain under the top of the Quad and skiers right of Black Magic looks like. My understanding is this will be a totally new line and would certainly offer a challenge.

Down further it looks like the new lifeline might widen the very lower part Black Magic - down hill of the cross over from Witch??

Can't wait to get up there in a couple of weeks.

With act250 there probably won't be anything done in a couple of weeks.

slatham

Have they started taking the old Black lift down yet?

I believe not from what I have heard and from what I have seen in pics. From what I can tell regarding the line of the new Quad, the old lift does not need to come down so I would guess this will be less of a priority.

Last edited:

JamaicaMan

I believe not from what I have heard and from what I have seen in pics. From what I can tell regarding the line of the new Quad, the old lift does not need to come down so I would guess this will be less of a priority.

We will be using Black lift to ferry materials to hard to access spots for install of new lift so won’t tear it down until late summer when that project begins most likely

benski

We will be using Black lift to ferry materials to hard to access spots for install of new lift so won’t tear it down until late summer when that project begins most likely

Would this mean the lift line has to be wide enough for both the triple and quad at the top where I see its very narrow.

bdfreetuna

Wow you guys are really making it happen. I blinked, look again and you got a Quad being installed and top of Black line extended (or whatever it is).

Excited. I'll be mostly excited to see how the early snowmaking push works out, of course depending on weather. Once the snow starts flying my loyalties fly out the window, so to speak. For example, I have no particular affection for Mount Snow, but they kicked ass early this year, so I was there.

Only point of that statement is for your own marketing research. Open terrain % is my draw, I'm sure that applies to plenty of others as well. The fact that Magic will open terrain sometimes when it's dicey in my mind is a big PLUS not a minus. A little more snowmaking and Magic becomes a very attractive option throughout more of the season.

From what I saw last season you stepped up the game in that regard even given some tough stretches.

slatham

Would this mean the lift line has to be wide enough for both the triple and quad at the top where I see its very narrow.

The top of the Quad line, in the area of Black Magic, will be a separate run through the woods to lookers left/skiers right of Black Magic. So assuming skiable it will be a new trail. The lower section - Black Line & Hocus Pocus - are plenty wide for both.

slatham

June 30 trip report.

New roof on Red. Chairs off for annual grip test.

2a563c3da1647d5cca08eb8f92c64704.jpg

Standing near summit of Black looking up the new Quad line

a3773bdad317cba81d9ebc7ead8c1f72.jpg

For perspective I am in same spot looking across to Black

925078a6aee9cc8f6ac494108cfbe9cb.jpg

Now I am looking down the line from same spot.

120539b03df411aaf6cb05e99a0aaa0c.jpg

This is where the Quad will cross Wand on Hocus Pocus.

0cb9b73ad8cb0fe17f8c1578baa72b8d.jpg

And this is where the base terminal will be.

71c6fc48c5e5f4c1290e12206b9d607a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slatham

A bit more. I hiked down part of the new Quad line. Awesome potential for another serious Magic double black. Anyway for perspective of where the Quad is going.
3673999717397b933a5a551e516e62f9.png

NYDB

A bit more. I hiked down part of the new Quad line. Awesome potential for another serious Magic double black. Anyway for perspective of where the Quad is going.
3673999717397b933a5a551e516e62f9.png

Thanks. that really gives a great idea where the new line is and how it will work its way further down BL.