• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

I love hearing about all the off season projects. Can't wait to ride not one, but two different "lifts".

THE LATEST
Project and Season Pass Updates

We are pushing ahead on several fronts to "make better Magic"--all designed to give our customers better and more access to our special mountain. And, as a reminder, there's only a few days left to get your Early Bird priced passes.

Green Chair: This new lift project is underway already. We just received a shipment of sheave trains for all the lift towers and are obtaining other equipment soon we hope from Suicide Six. The haul cable will be inspected on Sunday to determine its status. 107 chairs have been set aside for work (new paint and wood slats for all as we just removed all the old slats from the chairs). A lot more work to come to get the lift finished over the next 6 months in time for the new ski season. Adding the mid-mountain access lift up to "Sunshine Corner" will make it easier for beginners/intermediates to enjoy skiing here; provides a means for Magic to open earlier than ever with a smaller footprint for early season (November) snowmaking; makes running youth races and race/freeride programs better for the athletes and customers in general by taking liftline pressure off the summit chairs; and, finally, creates an off-season lift for special events, like Weddings, at picturesque Sunshine Corner.

New Learn-to-Ski Beginner Conveyor Lift: We met this week with Starlifts out of NH to walk the area for the "magic-carpet" style lift in the "old", but now new, beginner area to the right of the Black Chair (Little Dipper). It will take about 12 weeks to build, but the approximately 170 foot conveyor lift will provide state-of-the-art transportation for beginners to learn how to ski and ride at Magic. Tucked away from heavy downhill traffic and on a nicely pitched beginner slope, our Nelson Famly Snowsports Learning Center will become THE place for families to have their kids learn the skills to take them eventually up the new Green Chair and then finally on to the summit to tackle some of the most challenging terrain in the East.

Snowmaking Pond: Engineering plans have been submitted and we will be meeting next week with the State of Vermont on a huge project to take our pond "off-stream" as desired by the State, while providing the necessary volume of water for Magic to cover about 80 acres of its trails and base area with man-made snow. This will allow us to more than double the typical amount of trails covered by snowmaking so we have a broad variety of trails on both East and West Side guaranteed to be open during the ski season no matter what mother-nature delivers in terms of natural snowfall.

Snowmaking Efficiency: Great strides were made this season in terms of dramatically improving the amount of snow that could be made more quickly utilizing less energy and fossil fuels. Beyond the HKD low-e guns we purchased, the next phase focuses on new pipe work in the base area. Aging (and leaky) pipes out of the pump house immediately lessens the pressure in the system (especially at the top) and means we are not maxmizing efficiency of our water and air at the start. Therefore we have identified and measured the piping (much of it underground) that needs to be replaced and have already received a quote for the steel (made in the USA quality steel). By our mathematical calculations, completion of this project over the summer should allow us to obtain the necessary pressures to utilize low-energy HKD guns top to bottom. This will significantly improve the efficiency of the system and further drive down our carbon footprint. We will again be partnering with Efficiency Vermont on this project.

With even more projects planned than highlighted here, please stay tuned here and on social media for updates. We are making Magic better with significant capital expenditures (~$1 million this off season), so we can better serve our customers while putting in place a more efficient operating infrastructure for a sustainable long-term future for Magic. The road can be winding and sometimes bumpy, but then again, aren't the most interesting drives off the crowded highways?

We hope you will "take the road less traveled" with us next season. Magic's affordable 2017-18 season passes are on sale now at our lowest "Early Bird" prices until May 15th.

And, we look forward to seeing you at the Black Line Tavern over the summer. We will be closed until Memorial Day Weekend, except for a special event benefitting Londonderry's Neighborhood Connections on May 19th, and then open regularly for the summer starting June 29th.

- Geoff

Voted #1 Ski Area in North AmLiftopia

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Do Work

^

Just scratching the surface too! Lots of other nerdy projects in the works that don't sound super cool but will have a really nice impact on operations and guest experience. A few surprises and nice touches mixed in for good measure and we're talking a serious step forward this season as promised.

I think everyone reading this is pretty much aware of what was accomplished in just a few short weeks last season- massive, foundation-up type investments that we are now building on to truly dial our operational "big picture". Also, keep in mind that we now are taking that same sense of urgency into a several-months-long string of downtime. Snowmaking last season was a truly eye opening experience for me. To learn *exactly* how the system functions, where its weak points are as well as the layout limitations, historical changes or "fixes" and the like- we've identified some pretty big leaks and deficiencies and are focused on replacing those areas- namely the buried pipe in the base area. It sees the highest pressures and is the most corroded as well as the hardest to get to, so we're starting at the pump house check valves and going up! As was mentioned in the letter, we sourced the highest grade domestic (US coil stock AND pipe forming) heavy wall pipe we could find and are looking to take this subpar area right out of the equation for the next 50 years or so. I can't even tell you how huge that would be for us operationally speaking- gaining a big fat percentage boost across every gallon send uphill and a big jump in available pressure up top where we previously have had to run air hogs to compensate for low pressure. Other snowmaking priorities include bringing Lower Magic Carpet back online, the return of Sorcerer, repairing Mystery and basically trying to piece the puzzle back together that originally had this hill on a closed-loop lossless system, which needless to say we are moving towards but still far from achieving right now.

As for lifts, the Green Chair is getting an astronomical amount of daily love right now. We are going "full, every-inch" restoration on this beauty and boy, is she gong to be pretty when we're done. Necessary testing on all chairs and grips necessary are all completed and crews are lined up to strip every inch down to bare metal and repaint it all as new, with a few nice touches mixed in for the proverbial cherry on top. Also the trigger has been pulled on a magic carpet style conveyor for the "Old/New Beginner Area" along with a new (to us) shuttle bus for the convenience of our guests whether they're in Lot C or at a Stratton hotel. Come this fall I fully expect both lifts and the shuttle will be shining examples of the determination and drive of this organization, as well as truly adding another dimension of service to the community that calls this mountain home.

In the trees, it's looking to be the biggest year ever. We have actual arborists on full-time staff now and with the help of the volunteers/Machete Militia, we are trying to really get our active silviculture program dialed to the Nth degree- ther eis no other way to ensure our wooded areas stay healthy and skiable for generations to come. Look for some pretty significant additions to the next trail map in this regard as well- no "secrets" per se, but a few areas that will get some of the credit they deserve for sure. There will always be off map treats to stumble upon though :beer:

I honestly hope that this season proved a lot to people who still weren't sure. We all know of Magic's sordid past, but we are not a flash in the pan group- we area here for the long haul and we are here to turn this place into the well-oiled machine it deserves to be. We've got a killer (backed) plan, a killer team and a killer hill- with the minds, heart and soul behind this place, I have never been more confident in Magic's future or that of the valley we live in, as the town is already feeling a bit of a boom and boost in optimism. Let's be honest though- skiing needs Magic. What makes it different makes it absolutely necessary IMO, and to support that differentiation in a way that gives a graduated experience into its challenge and adventure will add a dimension of inclusion never before enjoyed here. I seriously cannot wait to unveil all the projects underway, it is truly an exciting time to be seeing things happen in Londonderry!

As always, fire away if you have questions, comments, observations, cool stories or scalding vitriol. We're stoked to hear any feedback after last seasons and appreciate everyone's excitement about this kick ass corner of the globe!

mriceyman

^

Just scratching the surface too! Lots of other nerdy projects in the works that don't sound super cool but will have a really nice impact on operations and guest experience. A few surprises and nice touches mixed in for good measure and we're talking a serious step forward this season as promised.

I think everyone reading this is pretty much aware of what was accomplished in just a few short weeks last season- massive, foundation-up type investments that we are now building on to truly dial our operational "big picture". Also, keep in mind that we now are taking that same sense of urgency into a several-months-long string of downtime. Snowmaking last season was a truly eye opening experience for me. To learn *exactly* how the system functions, where its weak points are as well as the layout limitations, historical changes or "fixes" and the like- we've identified some pretty big leaks and deficiencies and are focused on replacing those areas- namely the buried pipe in the base area. It sees the highest pressures and is the most corroded as well as the hardest to get to, so we're starting at the pump house check valves and going up! As was mentioned in the letter, we sourced the highest grade domestic (US coil stock AND pipe forming) heavy wall pipe we could find and are looking to take this subpar area right out of the equation for the next 50 years or so. I can't even tell you how huge that would be for us operationally speaking- gaining a big fat percentage boost across every gallon send uphill and a big jump in available pressure up top where we previously have had to run air hogs to compensate for low pressure. Other snowmaking priorities include bringing Lower Magic Carpet back online, the return of Sorcerer, repairing Mystery and basically trying to piece the puzzle back together that originally had this hill on a closed-loop lossless system, which needless to say we are moving towards but still far from achieving right now.

As for lifts, the Green Chair is getting an astronomical amount of daily love right now. We are going "full, every-inch" restoration on this beauty and boy, is she gong to be pretty when we're done. Necessary testing on all chairs and grips necessary are all completed and crews are lined up to strip every inch down to bare metal and repaint it all as new, with a few nice touches mixed in for the proverbial cherry on top. Also the trigger has been pulled on a magic carpet style conveyor for the "Old/New Beginner Area" along with a new (to us) shuttle bus for the convenience of our guests whether they're in Lot C or at a Stratton hotel. Come this fall I fully expect both lifts and the shuttle will be shining examples of the determination and drive of this organization, as well as truly adding another dimension of service to the community that calls this mountain home.

In the trees, it's looking to be the biggest year ever. We have actual arborists on full-time staff now and with the help of the volunteers/Machete Militia, we are trying to really get our active silviculture program dialed to the Nth degree- ther eis no other way to ensure our wooded areas stay healthy and skiable for generations to come. Look for some pretty significant additions to the next trail map in this regard as well- no "secrets" per se, but a few areas that will get some of the credit they deserve for sure. There will always be off map treats to stumble upon though :beer:

I honestly hope that this season proved a lot to people who still weren't sure. We all know of Magic's sordid past, but we are not a flash in the pan group- we area here for the long haul and we are here to turn this place into the well-oiled machine it deserves to be. We've got a killer (backed) plan, a killer team and a killer hill- with the minds, heart and soul behind this place, I have never been more confident in Magic's future or that of the valley we live in, as the town is already feeling a bit of a boom and boost in optimism. Let's be honest though- skiing needs Magic. What makes it different makes it absolutely necessary IMO, and to support that differentiation in a way that gives a graduated experience into its challenge and adventure will add a dimension of inclusion never before enjoyed here. I seriously cannot wait to unveil all the projects underway, it is truly an exciting time to be seeing things happen in Londonderry!

As always, fire away if you have questions, comments, observations, cool stories or scalding vitriol. We're stoked to hear any feedback after last seasons and appreciate everyone's excitement about this kick ass corner of the globe!

👌

SIKSKIER

What the hell is there to be negative about?Fantastic to see whats going on at Magic.I'm actually a little blown away at how much has already been but more so at ambitious projects in progress now.Congrats!

slatham

Nice work DO WORK!! My primary request would be to limit the amount of glade skiing put on the map! And of course I will join at least 1 of the volunteer days to help with the secret stashes. Oh yeah, and I need to finish my research on weather stations!

Keep up the good work!

I was upset by the low number of turns and lifts I shared with DoWork last season. Please fix that (when done with the snowmaking)

Do Work

I was upset by the low number of turns and lifts I shared with DoWork last season. Please fix that (when done with the snowmaking)

I assure you, this customer service travesty will not go unremedied.

I assure you, this customer service travesty will not go unremedied.

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter. To do my part, I have rented a house and bought my family's season passes.

Good time to buy, not rent ;-)

That's what I keep telling Mrs. MSB! She wants a new kitchen instead. I am trying to get her to understand a Vt house would come with a new kitchen.

mriceyman

That's what I keep telling Mrs. MSB! She wants a new kitchen instead. I am trying to get her to understand a Vt house would come with a new kitchen.

Lol

yeggous

I'm working my way through the Vermont mountains stubbing out community-source, wiki-style guides. I've started the one for Magic:
http://www.***************************/ski-area-guides/vermont-ski-areas/magic-r46/

I'd appreciate the insight that the Magic faithful can provide. Any registered user should be able to edit it.

Do Work

I'm working my way through the Vermont mountains stubbing out community-source, wiki-style guides. I've started the one for Magic:
http://www.***************************/ski-area-guides/vermont-ski-areas/magic-r46/

I'd appreciate the insight that the Magic faithful can provide. Any registered user should be able to edit it.

They turn up the heat now 😉👍🏻

ShadyGrove

I'm not looking to register to become an editor, but this sentence needs some help - "The Red lift is the better maintained and more less scary option."

mriceyman

Scary? Never gets off the ground and runs at 5 mph.. hell i jumped off it once last year at the last ridge. Very not scary

Rowsdower

Scary? Never gets off the ground and runs at 5 mph.. hell i jumped off it once last year at the last ridge. Very not scary

Would it be possible for them to ever raise that tower?

Makes the upper section of the liftline un-rideable. Well... at least unless you want to poach it and duck the chairs.

Do Work

hell i jumped off it once last year at the last ridge. Very not scary

Oh hey thanks for putting our Tramway certs in question because you wanted to jump off **at the top compression tower mind you** onto our only (Tramway mandatory) permanent closure. Hope those three turns were just peachy. You have no idea how much shit I have to deal with because of selfish decisions like that- and is also the reason we get shot down every time we try to figure out a way to open it.

You are your own answer as to why it's never open and might never be. Please act more responsibly next time. Thanks.