• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

Do Work

Bump because I'm excited, things are humming along and the hill looks different at the end of every single day now. It really is insane just how much stuff is happening all at once. I can barely sleep these days!

MEtoVTSkier

Bump because I'm excited, things are humming along and the hill looks different at the end of every single day now. It really is insane just how much stuff is happening all at once. I can barely sleep these days!

I'm sure you're out of control busy on a daily basis, but a couple pictures here and there for the rest of us to drool over would be appreciated when you get around to it! ;-)

Do Work

I'm sure you're out of control busy on a daily basis, but a couple pictures here and there for the rest of us to drool over would be appreciated when you get around to it! ;-)

Translation: Pics or it didn't happen! :grin:

I will see what I can scrape together soon!

JamaicaMan

A little deck painting before/after shot from Volunteer Day today to go with the rest of our lodge painting going on...ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1504402460.286946.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

I have been remiss in my reporting duties. But I am sure many/most of you are following all the activity on social media so apologies for being redundant, but with all the good happenings at Magic I simply have to pass it along......

The below is from Geoff (no I am not Geoff) via the Magic website:

HERE COMES FALL!

Labor Day weekend has come and gone, so autumn is on its way here in southern Vermont. The leaves are already starting to change up on the mountain so it's a beautiful month to head up for the scenery, especially with our new disc golf course as a fun way to take it all in. We've already had over 200 people out on Magic Mountain National and the course will be open through October!

Just last Friday we held the first-ever Master Magician Golf/Disc Golf Biathlon Tournament and it was a tremendous success. Everybody is already talking about a repeat for next year and making it even bigger. The players loved the format, the prizes, and our sponsor support, especially Fiddlehead Brewery and Josh Cellars Wines. We thank all our employees, participants and sponsors for helping raise money for UVM Children's Hospital! Catch a fun, short recap video of the action here

Also, on Saturday, we had a great turnout of our community for our 1st official Volunteer Day. Folks helped us paint the deck so it matches our new lodge paint scheme. Another group was taken up the hill to where operations has been clearing trees and brush at the Green Line lift and new glade coming off the top of that lift. They did a great job cleaning what is going to be a spectacular area to ski this winter with the new lift. Again, thanks to the over 30 people who took time over the holiday to pitch in and help make Magic happen. You can see a quick video here.

The next scheduled Volunteer Days are 10/7 and 10/21 if you'd like to join in!. And, for those interested in more volunteer, recreational and social activities here at Magic, a new outing/adventure club (independent of Magic) is being formed and their 1st meeting was last Saturday. If interested, send an email to info@magicmtn.com and we will forward to the club organizers so they can reach out--think hiking/snowshoeing trails/events, skinning & backcountry outings, yoga, summer time events, etc. They also have a new facebook you can join under "Magic Mountain Outing Club".

There is a TON of work on the plate here as we hope to be making snow in about 10-11 weeks so that we can hopefully open the tubing and terrain parks, and new learn-to-ski area on the lower mountain/base area for Thanksgiving weekend.

With the change in seasons, it's also time to start thinking about making Magic your winter home. Season passes are on sale and they save you a lot of money over the mega-resorts, and best of all, you get to ski and ride some of the East Coast's best terrain with some of the coolest people around. Now is also the time to register the kids for our seasonal youth programs which INCLUDE a season pass. Racing. Freeride. And, Devo for those just starting out. Personalized coaching and life-long love of sport and friendships result from these programs. Check our deals out here before prices go up: affordable season passes

The Black Line Tavern will be open Thursday-Sunday along with disc golf. This Thursday is also opening night with Pats v Chiefs so the BLT will have a 50 cent wing night special going while watching the game here! So come by, say hello ,and let's get this fall season going!!

slatham

Another update from Geoff. New and different that the lifts are close to inspection and it's only September!! Wishing the best for George and a quick recovery.

Here's the latest:

ONE MONTH LEFT FOR PRE-SEASON PASS SALE

October 15th is the official end of the pre-season pass sale (ski/ride/tubing), so now is the time to save up to $100 on many of the passes before regular season pricing takes effect. We've made skiing more affordable for more skiers and riders by lowering kids prices from a few years ago; lowering 18-29 year old pricing by offering a "Shredder Pass"; lowering passes for adults living together with a "Couples Pass" (saves $100); lowering seasonal youth program costs (racing, freeride, devo) by including a pass in the program fee; adding police and fireman to our lower "military"pass option; lowering pass costs for our local VT school kids, their parents and teachers; and just being all-around more affordable versus "corporate resort" skiing.

Plus, we've added options for mid-week only ("Powder Pass"), everything but holidays ("Black Out Pass"), holiday-only pass ("White-Out Pass"). We even have a "Party Pass" for businesses or shared ski condo/house users/clubs that is transferable to others.

As of this weekend, you will also be able to purchase for a limited time (through October 15th) our famous Freedom 4-Packs which are certificates for tickets that are redeemable at Magic anytime and can be used by anyone during the 17/18 ski season. So they also make great gifts for your friends and family. The Freedom Four Packs work out to about $47 per ticket which saves over $22 versus a regular adult day ticket. Not too shabby. So head to our season pass section of the website and make plans on enjoying your winter here with us.

The action on the mountain is heating up just as the colors on the hill are already turning to bright reds, yellows and oranges mixing in with the greens. It really is a great time to get out and play disc golf and hang at the Black Line Tavern's deck overlookng the mountain scenary.

The operations crew is working hard to get all the lifts ready. There has been some delay on the Green Chair front as our key contractor has been unable to be at the mountain for a number of weeks for health reasons. We wish George all the best as he goes through a difficult period and every one is rooting for him. In the meantime, we will be pushing ahead and looking for additional help but no doubt this will effect our timetable to some degree for that lift. The base terminal has been primed and ready for new paint. The Green Chairs' new varnished oak slates have been put on most of the chairs making for a classic "old school" look. On the Black Chair front, all chairs have been spaced out and checked properly. A flawed card in the drive was also recently repaired. Now the line work begins over the next two weeks to get it ready for state inspection. Red will also be ready to go for inspection shortly after a final assembly is repaired up on tower 18. Grading and drainage for the new "magic carpet" beginner lift will be progressing next week, so that new electric lines can be put in followed by the converyor lift itself. And, finally, the handle tow lifts servicing the tube park and new terrain park area will be getting new light towers to better brighten the after-dark playground in front of the lodge for tubers and park rats.

On the snowmaking front, we just put in another order with HKD to add to our energy efficient fleet of over 50 new HKD guns since last year. 8 new 20 foot SV10 Impulse Tower Guns will soon be headed to Magic! We are also in the final stages of planning with Green Mountain Power and Efficiency Vermont for Magic to make the switch from heavy reliance on diesel compressors to power snowmaking to much cleaner and efficient electric compressors. We hope to be able to make the switch over in time for our new earlier November snowmaking schedule! It's a complicated project involving installation of a new transformer, new electric pole and power line (and of course the purchase of the compressors). This should help make Magic much more sustainable on the snowmaking front for decades to come.

That's all for now. Come by and see us this weekend at the BLT which has been opened up inside even more as we continue to make it a brighter, more inviting and visual space.​

Think Fall Foliage!

- Geoff
SKI MAGIC LLC

urungus

Thanks for the updates. Is there going to be a card for sale that allows you to pay the "Throwback Thursday" price any day of the week, like last year? I don't see it on the Magic website.

slatham

Thanks for the updates. Is there going to be a card for sale that allows you to pay the "Throwback Thursday" price any day of the week, like last year? I don't see it on the Magic website.

If I recall that was mentioned on FB and will be on sale in October???

slatham

If I recall that was mentioned on FB and will be on sale in October???

IceEidolon

As a snowmaking nerd, l'm curious what capacity the new air plant will have. I'd also ask why 20' instead of 30' - trail width concerns, or something else.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Do Work

As a snowmaking nerd, l'm curious what capacity the new air plant will have. I'd also ask why 20' instead of 30' - trail width concerns, or something else.

Yes, 20' towers are for specific spots on tight trails- a 30' tower would likely send it straight into the trees there and the 10s are just too short to leave on a fixed post. For those spots, the 20'ers are perfect.

The compressors... I'll wait to spill the beans when there's more to tell. It's going to give a big jump forward though to say the least!

Last edited:

tumbler

Yes, 20' towers are for specific spots on tight trails- a 30' tower would likely send it straight into the trees there and the 10s are just too short to leave on a fixed post. For those spots, the 20'ers are perfect.

The compressors... I'll wait to spill the beans when there's more to tell. It's going to give a big jump forward though to say the least!

I guess I was one of the lucky ones that saw the post before it was edited with the new compressor system...my lips are sealed...

Do Work

Hahaha! Me too! I thought somebody had already said something Lol!

It has been talked about before. I just don't want to get too verbose before they're in, y'know? Anti-jinx and all that jazz. ��

IceEidolon

I found a copy in my email - my guess was only off by 100 CFM. That'll be a great system once it's all together.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk