• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing Rag "Best Mtns in No. America"

Smellytele

Lucky I get this mag for free. It arrived today. I think they were trying to be funny with the Northeast section but it wasn't funny. The other sections maybe had 1 category that was funny, the NE one was mostly bashing ski areas in the NE.
Also getting old and they have made the print abnormally small so they could get in more ads. One 1/4 to 1/2 page of text, 1/2 page of pictures, then at least 1 full page ad.

skiberg

I don't even subscribe to it anymore. They are just a shill for the advertisers. Who was #1in NA, Whistler?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Smellytele

I don't even subscribe to it anymore. They are just a shill for the advertisers. Who was #1in NA, Whistler?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
They broke it into sections of NA. So northern rockies, west coast, central rockies, So Rockies, NE maybe a couple of others.

bdfreetuna

Didn't say I liked it. :lol: I never paid for it - it just comes free from going to the Boston Ski show.

Hmm where's mine then? I don't usually get issues prior to the show.. although sometimes they toss me a couple issues back to back right after the show.

I will say they had a good article breaking down many of Cannon's secret stashes and sidecountry last year. I've never skied Cannon but feel better prepared to spend my time wisely when I do go.

BenedictGomez

The worst part of these "Northeast Skiing" lists, is that it's typically very obvious that the writer was born and raised in the west and has never spent a day skiing east of the Mississippi in his/her life.

Sometimes the errors are so egregious it's embarrassingly obvious.

Smellytele

While the others listed good things about places the NE part talked about best cluster Fuck - Saddleback. While calling Wildcat the best scenic they say but don't worry it is very tame. Of course there was some category bashing Burke and Jay. No mention of the cluster of Park City. There were others as well just don't have it in front of me right now.

bdfreetuna

My favorite is how people talk and talk about ice.

As if they are unaware that conditions such as boilerplate, death cookies, hard-pack, dust on crust, and re-freeze slush are far more prevalent anyway.

Less talk, more skiing ice.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Lucky I get this mag for free. It arrived today. I think they were trying to be funny with the Northeast section but it wasn't funny. The other sections maybe had 1 category that was funny, the NE one was mostly bashing ski areas in the NE.
Also getting old and they have made the print abnormally small so they could get in more ads. One 1/4 to 1/2 page of text, 1/2 page of pictures, then at least 1 full page ad.

Interesting. I will have to see what they said. I also love how they always insert a western ski resort ad in the "Northeast" section and how for a while now SKI runs the same articles as SKIING. I think the latter has stopped.

dlague

My favorite is how people talk and talk about ice.

As if they are unaware that conditions such as boilerplate, death cookies, hard-pack, dust on crust, and re-freeze slush are far more prevalent anyway.

Less talk, more skiing ice.

And yet forsaking the requisite mentions of small vertical, low snowfall totals and ice?

You are talking about ice and I was at another forum and started laughing about someone's statement about early snow and ice

Or even worse stick around just enough to complete ruin the integrity of the snow pack... but that always happens in Colorado anyways

They do not seem to have much knowledge of eastern skiing!

4aprice

They do not seem to have much knowledge of eastern skiing!

But in reality why should they? Sorry. I still live in the east and will still deal with it but I'll take west over east every time. Ice, bone chilling temps, rain or just cloudy ugly weather (NE at least 50% of the time) vs dry snow, comfortable temps, and sunshine (or nicely replenishing the snow when it storms). Like the surfer, you can surf on the east coast in the Atlantic but the real fanatic heads west to the Pacific. I've skied NE and Europe too, but the promise land of skiing to me remains Colorado/Utah.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

cdskier

The pathetic east coast coverage was a big reason I stopped subscribing to both Ski and Skiing several years ago. Years ago their east coast coverage used to be better it seemed.

4aprice

But nobody is paying you to write about east cost ski areas.

True. Wasn't looking at it from the reviewing point of view. I kind of reacted to people cheering on ice something I deal with here, not enjoy. Last year left a real bitter taste to eastern skiing as face it, It Sucked. I appreciate the challenge of skiing ice, I raced as a kid, and after 50 seasons of skiing I've seen enough ice and hard conditions,(Pocono Pavement and S^&T like that) I'm sick of them. It gets harder and harder to leave each time I'm out there and I can't wait to get out of this hell hole, NJ. I'm sure if we get good snow this year my attitude will change. I am really happy with the selection of a pass I bought and look forward to weekends with the wife as empty nesters up in VT/NH. I'm certainly not saying that I think eastern skiing sucks, (born and raised on it) but with family in the Salt Lake and Denver areas I plan on a lot more of touring between the two.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

The pathetic east coast coverage was a big reason I stopped subscribing to both Ski and Skiing several years ago. Years ago their east coast coverage used to be better it seemed.

It was like that last year. Started reading Eastern ski resort write ups and felt let down or disagreed with the writers remarks.

Have not seen this year's yet.

Jully

True. Wasn't looking at it from the reviewing point of view. I kind of reacted to people cheering on ice something I deal with here, not enjoy. Last year left a real bitter taste to eastern skiing as face it, It Sucked. I appreciate the challenge of skiing ice, I raced as a kid, and after 50 seasons of skiing I've seen enough ice and hard conditions,(Pocono Pavement and S^&T like that) I'm sick of them. It gets harder and harder to leave each time I'm out there and I can't wait to get out of this hell hole, NJ. I'm sure if we get good snow this year my attitude will change. I am really happy with the selection of a pass I bought and look forward to weekends with the wife as empty nesters up in VT/NH. I'm certainly not saying that I think eastern skiing sucks, (born and raised on it) but with family in the Salt Lake and Denver areas I plan on a lot more of touring between the two.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I guess what irks me is that the reviews tend to leave out the aspects that are truly unique about eastern resorts instead of wannabe western resorts. It's clear the reviewers haven't skied at those resorts before a lot of the time. If it were an Eastern skier critiquing the resorts, then I'm fine with that! But at least know what you're talking about.