• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

South America Ski Trip

skiNEwhere

I've been wanting to make a trip down south for a while, luck would have it that my work required me to go to Buenos Aires for a few days, so I was able to turn the business trip into a vacation.

After finishing up with work, I made my way to Las Leñas which is where I am now. There has not been a significant snowfall in over a month, so snow is pretty scarce at the base, but is still pretty good up top.

Pretty much all the fun terrain is off of the TS Marte lift seen here

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1472584482.023047.jpg

Today it rained and was windy, which closed Marte. Unfortunately if Marte closed (which apparently happens 60%) of the time), the mtn does not have much to offer other than blues and red (black) groomers.

Hoping it snows up high and Marte offers up some great terrain tomorrow. Unfortunately the internet here is ridiculously slow so I can't upload too much.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1472584667.230262.jpg

Cerro Martin. We hiked up and skied down the line to the right on Tuesday
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1472584723.450725.jpg

More to follow

jimk

Is it true the water drains in a reverse spin when you pull the plug out of the bathtub? :thumbup:
Have fun!

Jully

Looks great! Spent a lot of time looking at South American ski trips this summer. Pretty convenient that you were there for work already!

dlague

That is awesome! TGR has been around there recently some of their skiers have been posting pictures.

Edd

Crowds look awful. I really hope to go there someday. Enjoy!

How are you liking the food and booze that's available?

skiNEwhere

I've drank Argentiniane wine everyday since I arrived. Not sure if that says anything lol

As far as food, food is ham and X. Seriously. Every food item invokes ham and something else.

Crowds have actually been worse that expected. 20-30 minute for Marte which is annoying considering the fact that most locals ski the red (black) groomer.

Speaking of which....I've noticed that the vast major of Argentinians (>75%) rent the 10+ year old skis from the resort.....doesn't make sense to me.

More random pics

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1472602984.662975.jpg
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1472603199.046918.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn

Cool pics! My wife and I were just talking about what it's like to ski south of the equator. Would be fun to try out!