• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

flat pedals

SkiingInABlueDream

Question about mtn biking with flat pedals. If you have a decent set of flat pedals (real pedals with spikes not the plastic things that come with the bike), do you also need a dedicated shoe or can you get decent pedal hold with regular running shoes?

I've always ridden clipless but I've read enough times that riding with flat pedals, even occasionally, can be good practice for pedaling technique. I might be willing to buy a set of pedals to experiment, but not if I also have to buy yet another pair of shoes that are uncomfortable until I break them in.

Puck it

Question about mtn biking with flat pedals. If you have a decent set of flat pedals (real pedals with spikes not the plastic things that come with the bike), do you also need a dedicated shoe or can you get decent pedal hold with regular running shoes?

I've always ridden clipless but I've read enough times that riding with flat pedals, even occasionally, can be good practice for pedaling technique. I might be willing to buy a set of pedals to experiment, but not if I also have to buy yet another pair of shoes that are uncomfortable until I break them in.
A flat sole is necessary. Get a cheap pair on skate shoes.

WoodCore

Flat shoes (alot of folks like Five Ten) and a pair of shin guards (very important if you plan on pressing on the tongue of your ski boots this winter!)

buellski

I've been using a pair of Vans skate shoes for the last couple of seasons. They stick to flats like glue, but they're also pretty flexible. So I invested in a pair of Five Ten Impacts this year and I love them.