• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
End of Main Street Saturday Dec 17, 2016 around 11:30

Still snowing and about 16°F at that time.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1482076216.374021.jpg

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Ragged was great yesterday. Upper Crewcut was run of the day for me. Surprised they dropped the rope on Cemetary Gates. Pretty rocky but I enjoyed it enough to go down a 2nd time.

Shin deep untracked when I ducked ropes.
Raggae Glades were again really nice as well. Decent crowd but nothing crazy.

Hopefully they start blowing on Spear tonight as they told me on Friday they would.1482078406289.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

160a12388f990f2bcd1164008d0068cc.jpg

xwhaler

One thing that was a tad disappointing this past wknd was that the Barnyard chair was not running.
There is loads of snow up there but is all still sitting in whales. The chair had a ladder and some scaffolding on it so it appears to be a mechanical issue?

Hopefully it is resolved quickly for the lessons over there.

dlague

One thing that was a tad disappointing this past wknd was that the Barnyard chair was not running.
There is loads of snow up there but is all still sitting in whales. The chair had a ladder and some scaffolding on it so it appears to be a mechanical issue?

Hopefully it is resolved quickly for the lessons over there.
Disappointing why? That is not a lift you would frequent I would think. Are you wanting to teach someone?

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

Disappointing why? That is not a lift you would frequent I would think. Are you wanting to teach someone?

My almost 4 yr old son is in the lesson program there this yr. We did a few laps on the carpet there on Saturday with him before taking him up top for 1 very long run.
He did well given the chopped up snow and best of all kept a good attitude which is all that matters.

Barnyard is a really nice learning pod so I'm hopeful they get that lift fixed ASAP. There were lots of kids taking lessons on Saturday (they had both carpets going)

yeggous

My almost 4 yr old son is in the lesson program there this yr. We did a few laps on the carpet there on Saturday with him before taking him up top for 1 very long run.
He did well given the chopped up snow and best of all kept a good attitude which is all that matters.

Barnyard is a really nice learning pod so I'm hopeful they get that lift fixed ASAP. There were lots of kids taking lessons on Saturday (they had both carpets going)

That is a great learning area. I get it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

SnoDevil97

Any word if they started blowing snow on the Spear side? I'd think they would want that covered for xmas break.

xwhaler

They are slow to update their snow report so nothing official. I did hear from one of the ops guys last Friday that they would be starting on Spear this past Sunday night.
However, no visual evidence or reports from the hill to confirm.
Agreed that they should be working to get Cardigan or Yankee open ASAP.

dlague

Now that makes sense! Wow four years old already - time flies. Our kids learned there as well when we lived in Andover, NH. It was cool being so close to Ragged with our boys around ages 5-8. Glad he had the right attitude!

xwhaler

No snowmaking or grooming shown on their website this morning - what's up with that?

They are really poor at updating their snow report I've noticed this season so far. That + lack of social media updates is a bit aggravating.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They are really poor at updating their snow report I've noticed this season so far. That + lack of social media updates is a bit aggravating.

Yeah. Really, how long would it take to snap a photo and add a quick caption on Facebook.

Then again maybe we're all jaded. May have to actually call them on the telephone. :razz:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The 80's are calling they want their snowphone back!
For real! When I called and asked what I might expect skiing on Wednesday or Thursday the response was, "What, what do you mean?" Really? Really? I had to choke back a "What do you think!?" I was verrrry polite and we had a nice cordial conversation but I kinda had to grill the poor woman for details. :lol:

Robbski

Wed. Report. Cold, clear skies, hard pack and no company on the trails. Four ways down. Ridge, newfound, chute and wild side. That is all.

SnoDevil97

Wow that sounds grim.

I want to like Ragged, I really do. But the competition for small-ish (or even big-ish) mountains for day trips from Boston is steep. Their competitors provide more info & seemingly better product. Ragged needs to step it up in both communication & performance. I like the mountain but I need to make best use of my trips.

dlague

Starting to feel bad for the people who bought season passes. While they were cheap relatively speaking, what they are delivering is in line with pricing. It shows that Ragged remains the same as all the other years slow to start.

prsboogie

Starting to regret buying tickets for the day after xmas. Between the lack of effort and the potential shit weather doesn't look well

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Ragged updated their snow report. Looks like overnight snowmaking on Barnyard and the Cardigan Turnpike.
I'm okay with this. Would prefer to see Yankee first but least they are working to get Spear open.

dlague

Ragged updated their snow report. Looks like overnight snowmaking on Barnyard and the Cardigan Turnpike.
I'm okay with this. Would prefer to see Yankee first but least they are working to get Spear open.
They have always catered to the lowest common denominator beginner trails. Then expand to intermediate and it seems like they hope enough natural comes for advanced terrain. So not seems!