• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

yeggous

yup - last year no line EVER on Spear - not much open there (especially with race training on Flying Yankee). Hopefully this year they will fill up all 6 spaces on the 6-pack - seems they have trouble putting together the groups of 6 - ?

False. See picture for proof.ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1473855105.282381.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
yup - last year no line EVER on Spear - not much open there (especially with race training on Flying Yankee). Hopefully this year they will fill up all 6 spaces on the 6-pack - seems they have trouble putting together the groups of 6 - ?

When I was a passholder there 6 years ago they used to have this lady who managed the six pack line. She was there for a few years and pretty much was a legend. I wish I remembered her name, but if you didn't have your act together to form up into groups of six, she was all over you. Pretty much a lift line drill sergeant; comical to watch, but oh so effective. She moved away and the drop off in talent was appreciable and everyone asked where so and so went.

Any Ragged regulars from back then remember this woman? If there was a liftie hall of fame, she would have been a first ballot inductee.

dlague

When I was a passholder there 6 years ago they used to have this lady who managed the six pack line. She was there for a few years and pretty much was a legend. I wish I remembered her name, but if you didn't have your act together to form up into groups of six, she was all over you. Pretty much a lift line drill sergeant; comical to watch, but oh so effective. She moved away and the drop off in talent was appreciable and everyone asked where so and so went.

Any Ragged regulars from back then remember this woman? If there was a liftie hall of fame, she would have been a first ballot inductee.

They had a great bar tender too that was let go. She too was there forever.

False. See picture for proof.View attachment 20646

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

There must have been no race training or that line included racers.

Jully

They had a great bar tender too that was let go. She too was there forever.

There must have been no race training or that line included racers.

Pretty sure there are racers. Why else would people have bibs on?

I'm assuming he's kidding when he calls this a line.

Jully

I've always felt that the area for forming together to make groups of 6 was too small. I feel like making the queue a little bigger would help. However, that might make the congestion in that area worse.

xwhaler

Bebe Woods perhaps? She is a legend at Ragged. She is now a greeter inside the lodge.
I had a nice chat with her last winter as she was eating some chowder she described as absolutely delightful.
They are re naming the learn to ski program in honor of her this yr I read

http://www.seniorsskiing.com/bebe-wood/

deadheadskier

Staff member
Bebe Woods perhaps? She is a legend at Ragged. She is now a greeter inside the lodge.
I had a nice chat with her last winter as she was eating some chowder she described as absolutely delightful.

No, this woman was about 50, looked like a biker chick who could whoop your ass in a bar fight.

canobie#1

I know exactly who you're talking about, she was there a several years ago. Didn't see her the last time I was there in the 2014/2015 season.

Any updates on Pinnacle Peak?

becca m

OK - maybe there was a short line once in a GREAT while, but, last year Saturdays I had a hard time finding a line ever....

re: Pinnacle - I hiked it last week - the "cleared" ski slopes now have waist/chest-high prickers and saplings. How do they clear it once it has been cleared - is that brush hog work?

re: Bebe - wonderful lady!!!!! She was on the cover of a vintage Life Magazine - forget which one - I want to say from the '50's? Interesting life story!!!!

Last edited:

dlague

Ya We have seen her before. Forgot about her. The liftie woman was awesome though!

The Sneak

I was at Ragged the day after the huge February 2013 storm. There were maybe 50 cars in the lot. A great day.

One thing about the ravine glades, they are pretty rocky in spots and I learned that the hard way that day. Crunch crunch crunch. Of course, there wasn't much base under that big dump and so that was likely the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Los

Pretty sure there are racers. Why else would people have bibs on?

I'm assuming he's kidding when he calls this a line.

I call that a line! I have no tolerance...

podunk77

I have many fond memories of Ragged back when I was a kid around 1973-77, so I'm enjoying all this Ragged talk. Quick question for anyone who recalls that era: Were the Sunnyside and Blueberry Patch trails much narrower and bumpier back then? My childhood memories of them bear no resemblance to the wide and rather boring avenues those trails have become. I'm trying to figure out if my memories are faulty or if those trails, like so many others, were widened and flattened over the years to allow for better snow making coverage. Sadly I got away from skiing entirely for about 25 years, so I wasn't there to witness Ragged's evolution.

ScottySkis

I. Think I slept by here with Bob MR.Cornhead on way to Sugarlloaf few years ago.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

No, this woman was about 50, looked like a biker chick who could whoop your ass in a bar fight.
I remember her well. I can't remember her name but she was the best at getting the six pack full - never much of a wait when she was on. I think she moved out of state.

canobie#1

Anyone else see the picture they put up on facebook?
Here's the caption:
"So this is happening! We're expanding our lower snowmaking pond from 4 million gallons to 24 million. That means more water storage capacity for our snowmaking team!"

Here's the link to their blog
http://www.raggedmountainresort.com/Blog/

Jully

Just about to post that myself, you beat me to it!

Blog also says that they have installed new snowmaking pipe on some early season beginner terrain to increase efficiency on key trails. It will be interesting to see how big of a difference this makes on operations!

canobie#1

Hopefully they put some attention towards Easy Winder. If they blasted the top of that trail and maybe did some leveling at the bottom to make it not as flat, it could be a huge new traffic divider for that side of the mountain.