• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

hammer

I've long felt a glade (or three) going from Lower Ridge down to Easy Winder would be great. Good pitch in there. I went in once and found a few good turns, but mainly bushwhacking. It wouldn't take much to clean it up though.

Starting near the top just after the split for Reggae Glades. When they announced Moose Alley a few years ago, I thought my wishes were being answered, but MA is much lower down than what I'm thinking of.
I like Moose Alley but like the glades next to Exhibition it is pretty low pitch.

I've never timed my trips to Ragged right but I've always wondered about Rags to Riches...how manageable is that for an intermediate?

Jully

If you find the exhibition glade too gentle of a pitch, rags to riches I think would be manageable? Id have to see what others think, but my thought is go for it.

Nothing at Ragged in the Ravine is dangerous and as long as you ski carefully through it the first time, you'd be able to get out easily enough without any risk if it was too challenging

MG Skier

I like Moose Alley but like the glades next to Exhibition it is pretty low pitch.

I've never timed my trips to Ragged right but I've always wondered about Rags to Riches...how manageable is that for an intermediate?

Moose Alley is great, just make sure it has plenty of snow. (Rocks) Exhibition is skiable earlier in the season due to snowmaking on Exhibition blowing into the woods.

MG Skier

If you find the exhibition glade too gentle of a pitch, rags to riches I think would be manageable? Id have to see what others think, but my thought is go for it.

Nothing at Ragged in the Ravine is dangerous and as long as you ski carefully through it the first time, you'd be able to get out easily enough without any risk if it was too challenging

I hiked Rags to Riches to cut between the peaks a few years ago. After the initial plunge I remember it mellowing out a bit. Only came part way down so I could go check out the Spear Lift construction. Triple take looked interesting.....yikes!

dlague

I hiked Rags to Riches to cut between the peaks a few years ago. After the initial plunge I remember it mellowing out a bit. Only came part way down so I could go check out the Spear Lift construction. Triple take looked interesting.....yikes!

Rags to Riches is often over looked by many - kind of hidden. I is a great run but can get bumped out in the beginning steeper section. Definitely need a good sno inter for those trails in that section. Never been on Triple take. Has anyone skied that run?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Never been on Triple take. Has anyone skied that run?
Triple Take needs about 3 feet of dense snow to form a short pillow line. It is narrow, steep and jaGGed (capital G's intended 'cause that's the sound you would make as you chunked your way down). So. not. me.

Jully

Rags to Riches is often over looked by many - kind of hidden. I is a great run but can get bumped out in the beginning steeper section. Definitely need a good sno inter for those trails in that section. Never been on Triple take. Has anyone skied that run?

Rags definitely mellows out. It can get pretty bumped up, but as long as you are comfortable in bumps, it should not be bad! Try to not hit it after a freeze-thaw cycle though if it is your first time coming from more intermediate glades!

Triple take is definitely more intense and is rarely in good shape IMO. When its good its really great though!

dlague

Rags definitely mellows out. It can get pretty bumped up, but as long as you are comfortable in bumps, it should not be bad! Try to not hit it after a freeze-thaw cycle though if it is your first time coming from more intermediate glades!

Triple take is definitely more intense and is rarely in good shape IMO. When its good its really great though!

Good point about Rags!

canobie#1

Rags to Riches is definitely the main glade(most popular) from the Ravine at the resort. It does have a great pitch to it and the bumps can get super high at the bottom which makes for some very fun times!

Triple Take is my favorite trail at the mountain when its open. Its probably the hardest too. Very narrow and a couple of really steep drops. There's also some nice rock jumps to the side of the trail. I hope they develop a little more back there for glades, the backside is awesome.

Karen's Dream is another very underrated trail at the mountain. A crazy steep pitch with some tight trees at the top and then mellows out when it meets back up with Rags and Pell's.

dlague

That trails in the Ravine are not that well know by many because snow is a prerequisite and we have had some lean snow years. Some years have been good for snowmaking but that does nothing for those trails.

canobie#1

^When the top entrance to Rags is open (usually one of the first glades to open) that thing gets a lot of traffic. The Devils Den area is where a lot of people don't go.

****** So it appears that Ragged is opening up yet another new glade this year! Introducing "Ridge Runner"! Located on the right side of Spear Mountain!
http://raggedmountainresort.com/uploadedImages/Ragged-Trail-Map.JPG

Last edited:

xwhaler

^When the top entrance to Rags is open (usually one of the first glades to open) that thing gets a lot of traffic. The Devils Den area is where a lot of people don't go.

Ssshhhhh! Don't blow my favorite spot on the mtn when the snow is good!

xwhaler

Interesting about Ridge Runner---not on last yr's online map (via NE Ski History) but I picked up a trail map last yr and it is on the map I have hanging in my office at work.
Probably they figured no reason to promote it last yr or add it to the map given the lack of glade skiing!

Looks like a good one...the flow on that side of the mtn is real nice.

canobie#1

I'm happy they added it. The Abyss was a huge surprise for me when they added that. I'm happy to see the growth of all natural skiing but would love to see some new trails cut to, with snowmaking.

I was thinking about this again today, if they added snowmaking to raggae glades, that would be huge with traffic flow. Look at sleeper at sugarbush, it's a main trail with snowmaking and grooming but it still has trees.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Problem is that snowmaking is bad for trees. You might lose trees in Reggae Glades as a result. Believe that happened on Murphys at Sugarbush

Jully

Wow yeah I love the location of Ridge Runner. Being able to go the entire way down skiers left of Yankee will be nice and will make spear ski a little bit bigger IMO.

If they added snowmaking to Reggae Glades it would absolutely thin out in just a few years time. I've always wondered if there isn't a way to have more gentler snowmaking somehow to protect trees.

deadheadskier

Staff member
They also tend to be very liberal in opening Reggae. I've skied that trail on very thin cover

dlague

They also tend to be very liberal in opening Reggae. I've skied that trail on very thin cover

I have too! It is generally well maintained prior to the season starting. Plus if you make snow where there are trees you have to be able to get the groomer in there.

Jully

Cardigan is awful flat from that second corner to the base, so not sure much is gained in the woods here, but I'll reserve judgement until I ski it.

I think there's at least a couple hundred vertical feet of glades. You're right though, definitely won't know until I ski it!