• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

xwhaler

Anyone at the Passholder BBQ today? We got our passes and mug club memberships but left before eating as they ran out of food. Lot of passes sold this yr made for a very busy day standing in multiple lines.

I heard 3k sold already which is double a good yr there. Gonna be busy season. Hopefully they have the logistics worked out to control the crowds.
Not worried about the mtn/lifts being able to handle crowds though I hope the lodge and employees can handle the added volume.

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Holy crap. That's a lot of passes. I couldn't make it today, but sounds like I didn't miss much. I'll be getting the pass in the coming weekends. Lodge is definitely going to be the issue. Is there anywhere else they might open up for more room?

SallyCat

When I was a passholder there 6 years ago they used to have this lady who managed the six pack line. She was there for a few years and pretty much was a legend. I wish I remembered her name, but if you didn't have your act together to form up into groups of six, she was all over you. Pretty much a lift line drill sergeant; comical to watch, but oh so effective.

She sounds like a great character! I had a less-charming experience with a lift operator at Ragged last year. I think the opening time was 8:30 that day and I was in the lodge getting ready, finishing my coffee, etc. I'm pretty new to skiing, and this was my first time at Ragged. I didn't have a watch, just sort of vaguely knew it was sometime after 8, and I happened to see people loading on the Spear lift. So I made my way over and got in line, thinking it must be 8:30. Well, I got to the loading point and the chair was about 6 inches from my butt when the lift operator yelled at me that the lift was only for racers. He did not stop the chair, just yelled at me. So I panicked, not sure what I'd done, but not wanting to get in trouble, and I jumped to the side so the chair could pass. I jumped right onto a bed of rocks, which had a lovely pitting effect on the bottom of my skis, btw. The lift guy reprimanded me for trying to "sneak" up early, and I profusely apologized and explained that I thought the mountain was open for business. He seemed to think I was bs-ing him (I'm a middle-aged woman, btw, not your typical scofflaw demographic). Anyway, he made me and another couple of people wait five minutes until it was exactly 8:30 then let us up.

By then, though, my day was just clouded with a really bad vibe and I ended up leaving early. It was late-season and not great conditions anyway, and I just couldn't get over being yelled at and didn't want to go back on that lift and see the same guy. It just made me feel bad all around and not super positive about Ragged in general.

I did, though, by their season pass when it was at the early-season discount rate; Ragged is local to my VT family's home, and too good a deal to pass up. I plan to make this year a do-over for Ragged, because i really want to like it.

Smellytele

I did, though, by their season pass when it was at the early-season discount rate; Ragged is local to my VT family's home, and too good a deal to pass up. I plan to make this year a do-over for Ragged, because i really want to like it.

How is Ragged local to any place in VT? It is at least an hour away from VT.

dlague

She sounds like a great character! I had a less-charming experience with a lift operator at Ragged last year. I think the opening time was 8:30 that day and I was in the lodge getting ready, finishing my coffee, etc. I'm pretty new to skiing, and this was my first time at Ragged. I didn't have a watch, just sort of vaguely knew it was sometime after 8, and I happened to see people loading on the Spear lift. So I made my way over and got in line, thinking it must be 8:30. Well, I got to the loading point and the chair was about 6 inches from my butt when the lift operator yelled at me that the lift was only for racers. He did not stop the chair, just yelled at me. So I panicked, not sure what I'd done, but not wanting to get in trouble, and I jumped to the side so the chair could pass. I jumped right onto a bed of rocks, which had a lovely pitting effect on the bottom of my skis, btw. The lift guy reprimanded me for trying to "sneak" up early, and I profusely apologized and explained that I thought the mountain was open for business. He seemed to think I was bs-ing him (I'm a middle-aged woman, btw, not your typical scofflaw demographic). Anyway, he made me and another couple of people wait five minutes until it was exactly 8:30 then let us up.

By then, though, my day was just clouded with a really bad vibe and I ended up leaving early. It was late-season and not great conditions anyway, and I just couldn't get over being yelled at and didn't want to go back on that lift and see the same guy. It just made me feel bad all around and not super positive about Ragged in general.

Too bad about that experience. Unfortunately, some of these guys deal with people trying get away with stuff and they do not care about the what's and why's. Last year was a tough year for Ragged never getting 100% open.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Too bad about that experience. Unfortunately, some of these guys deal with people trying get away with stuff and they do not care about the what's and why's. Last year was a tough year for Ragged never getting 100% open.

Agreed. Additionally, just remember that one testy employee is not indicative of the whole resort staff. While the liftie could and I'd say should have taken more time and been gentler, it's not that they were a terrible person or taught to be rude by management, just a stressful job in a difficult winter.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Good for you! Get back up on that horse! ... And maybe buy a watch :cool:

47839ab041610132a99b005056a9545d

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Anyone at the Passholder BBQ today? We got our passes and mug club memberships but left before eating as they ran out of food. Lot of passes sold this yr made for a very busy day standing in multiple lines.

I heard 3k sold already which is double a good yr there. Gonna be busy season. Hopefully they have the logistics worked out to control the crowds.
Not worried about the mtn/lifts being able to handle crowds though I hope the lodge and employees can handle the added volume.
I did go by there around 1 o'clock. I convinced my wife, who is not a passholder that the $10 for non-pass holders was a good lunch deal. But saw that line and immediately left. I can get my pass another day. Went to Kathleen's Cottage in Bristol and had a nice porter and a reuben.

They better seriously manage that six pack line this year. 3000 season pass owners?! Woo!

dlague

I did go by there around 1 o'clock. I convinced my wife, who is not a passholder that the $10 for non-pass holders was a good lunch deal. But saw that line and immediately left. I can get my pass another day. Went to Kathleen's Cottage in Bristol and had a nice porter and a reuben.

They better seriously manage that six pack line this year. 3000 season pass owners?! Woo!
Well the good thing is, they will not all come at once. But on those days where many do come and races are happening and other events like the Ride and Ski tour stop are there, my concern would be the lodge space, cafeteria, pub is small and the bistro is tiny too! May feel like a mad house inside. I think when they have enough open on the Spear side the lines will be dispersed enough. But choke off Flying Yankee with race training and boom long six pack lines. Blueberry Patch gets a little crazy too since 90 percent seem to go that way which I would not do. Not worth the fare!

Jully

The cheaper pass really paid off! They doubled their previous good year benchmark at just over 1/2 the price so they came out on top.

dlague

The cheaper pass really paid off! They doubled their previous good year benchmark at just over 1/2 the price so they came out on top.

Probably pulled business from other nearby and possibly not so nearby ski areas.

Jully

Probably pulled business from other nearby and possibly not so nearby ski areas.

It would be interesting to hear those demographics, how many were season passholders elsewhere and how many were a 4-5x per year skier who decided to make the jump up to a pass.

xwhaler

I was sorta hoping that we could meet some folks and ask them those questions as well. But after waiting in line to get our passes (starting at 11) for approx 30 mins and then waiting in the bar line (1 bartender) for another 30+ mins only to find out all the food was gone we decided to just head home.

It was a nice thought and gesture that they did I just wished they had asked folks to RSVP so they could have some idea of how many ppl to expect.

When we left at 1 the line was way out the door for folks wanting passes processed (I'd estimate at 2 hr wait at that point) nevermind the chaos inside.

SallyCat

It would be interesting to hear those demographics, how many were season passholders elsewhere and how many were a 4-5x per year skier who decided to make the jump up to a pass.

As far as demographics, I live in Pennsylvania, and I bought the pass because I can't afford to ski at the bigger places. I spend the holidays not too far from Ragged, so it was an awesome opportunity to ski every day over Christmas break. I'll get my money's worth out of it easily and the terrain is perfect for my level.

In shopping around for a season pass or multi-pass for this year, I noticed that most of the good deals in VT/NH/ME have blackout dates during the big holidays. I wonder if lots of Ragged passholders picked up the deal so as to be able to ski during other pass's blackout days?

Jully

When we left at 1 the line was way out the door for folks wanting passes processed (I'd estimate at 2 hr wait at that point) nevermind the chaos inside.

Yikes. Really hoping the lines won't be that bad when I get the pass in 2 weekends or so. Sounds like the line on opening day / weekend for passes might be rough too!

As far as demographics, I live in Pennsylvania, and I bought the pass because I can't afford to ski at the bigger places. I spend the holidays not too far from Ragged, so it was an awesome opportunity to ski every day over Christmas break. I'll get my money's worth out of it easily and the terrain is perfect for my level.

In shopping around for a season pass or multi-pass for this year, I noticed that most of the good deals in VT/NH/ME have blackout dates during the big holidays. I wonder if lots of Ragged passholders picked up the deal so as to be able to ski during other pass's blackout days?

That is also another good point. For people families who reliably ski during blackout periods, but also hold a season pass elsewhere (I'm assuming theres a decent number of those families out there) there was often more of a $250 difference between the blackout and no blackout pass option making Ragged a good stopgap.

Good for Ragged for grabbing your business. $250 for a week of holiday skiing is quite a good deal!

xwhaler

Woulda been a nice pairing with the Peaks Blackout pass for sure.
Not sure if they can utilize some space in the Meetinghouse Lodge where the rental shop is but me thinks some additional seating is going to be necessary this yr.

Perhaps the upstairs part of that older lodge could be used for something?

Last edited:

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Well the good thing is, they will not all come at once. But on those days where many do come and races are happening and other events like the Ride and Ski tour stop are there, my concern would be the lodge space, cafeteria, pub is small and the bistro is tiny too! May feel like a mad house inside. I think when they have enough open on the Spear side the lines will be dispersed enough. But choke off Flying Yankee with race training and boom long six pack lines. Blueberry Patch gets a little crazy too since 90 percent seem to go that way which I would not do. Not worth the fare!
Don't forget Mtn Dew Fest. That's usually a pretty nutty day.

xwhaler

6 pack line needs to be controlled well this yr or its going not not be pleasant I feel. I wonder if they will fire up the East Village double more often as well?
Having some lower intermediates riding that would take some pressure off the 6.