• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

SallyCat

Looks like Ragged may have inadvertently created a bit of the Poconos skiing experience in New Hampshire. Any plans for night skiing? :)

dlague

I guess everyone will have to wait and see. Now if they get snow making underway that will be the next hurdle.

Newpylong

Likely not for a bit, they usually target first week of December for opening. Though perhaps that changes this year.

dlague

Likely not for a bit, they usually target first week of December for opening. Though perhaps that changes this year.
They never shoot for November, but they always start slow in December in terms opening up trails. The more trails open the better crowd spread was the underlying point I was shooting for.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

They never shoot for November, but they always start slow in December in terms opening up trails. The more trails open the better crowd spread was the underlying point I was shooting for.

If all goes according to plan they will open to the public on Saturday 12/3. In the past few yrs they have hosted a CHAD day on the day before public iopening and will sell tickets for $25 with all proceeds going to CHAD.
If a passholder you either wait until the following day or give your $25.

Jully

They've already announced they're going for that first weekend in December. Hopefully if they get the new snowmaking pond online before then their trail expansion won't be quite as anemic. I suspect the majority of the passholders won't start showing up until xmas time anyways.

Anyone hear anything about the pond's progress at the event last weekend?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Looks like Ragged may have inadvertently created a bit of the Poconos skiing experience in New Hampshire. Any plans for night skiing? :)
I think there used to be night skiing back in the 70's or 80's. The fixtures are still up but not functional. No plans to revive night skiing that I've heard.

What is the "Poconos skiing experience" like?

prsboogie

As far as demographics, I live in Pennsylvania, and I bought the pass because I can't afford to ski at the bigger places. I spend the holidays not too far from Ragged, so it was an awesome opportunity to ski every day over Christmas break. I'll get my money's worth out of it easily and the terrain is perfect for my level.

In shopping around for a season pass or multi-pass for this year, I noticed that most of the good deals in VT/NH/ME have blackout dates during the big holidays. I wonder if lots of Ragged passholders picked up the deal so as to be able to ski during other pass's blackout days?

Welcome to the forum and for the money it should be a great valid for you. I'm sure there are those who did buy it for the blackout date coverage from their other passes.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SallyCat

What is the "Poconos skiing experience" like?

Small in acreage with huge crowds. And a LOT of first-timers flailing their way down blue and black trails as, essentially, high-speed meat torpedoes.

I was just joking, though. The Poconos are actually great for learning: I can leave work any day of the week and get in a solid five hours of night skiing. Sweet!

I'm looking forward to lots of excellent New England skiing this year, though. Hoping for Wildcat over Thanksgiving...fingers crossed!

xwhaler

Mini rant
Bit disappointed that Ragged social media has gone dark. No updates anywhere since last Tuesday.
This is the time of yr to really get folks amped up for the season and to try and communicate opening day plans as best as possible.
It's pretty obvious they won;t be opening this coming wknd (tough wx this week) but at least give us something.

xwhaler

Update from Ragged:
Due to the heavy rain fall over the past several hours, we are postponing our opening until either Thursday 12/8 or Friday 12/9. Please stay tuned for further updates as we get closer to those dates. We will be updating via our website and through social media.

SnoDevil97

Per FB - officially opening Thursday 12/8. Was a little surprised due to their recent silence on social media, but anxious to visit soon.

Jully

Mini rant
Bit disappointed that Ragged social media has gone dark. No updates anywhere since last Tuesday.
This is the time of yr to really get folks amped up for the season and to try and communicate opening day plans as best as possible.
It's pretty obvious they won;t be opening this coming wknd (tough wx this week) but at least give us something.

Agreed its quite annoying. They seem to have some aspects really well put together, but seem really bad at making operating decisions.

I have a cousin in college who wants to ski with me there this winter. They've been asking since August if they should buy a season pass for $300(the price at that time) or if they would have cheap college tickets available like they had in the past. They over the phone enthusiastically encouraged him to wait that the pass might not be worth it and there would be a deal and it would be pretty good.

Asked again in September, told by the end of the month, asked again in October told by November 1, asked in Nov and was told before thanksgiving. Asked again a few days ago and was told they haven't decided yet.

He and I both have received multiple very nice and prompt responses over the phone, email, or facebook, but talk about being strung along.

xwhaler

I do worry a bit on whether Ragged has the off-hill infrastructure in place to handle the added volume that they have brought on themselves.
I think the terrain (when near or fully open) can support the volume but I worry about parking, lodge, lift queue design (6 pack), and F+B ops.

I'm headed there on Friday this week and will report back how conditions are.

I'm surprised given the massive snowmaking pond expansion that they are only blowing on 1 route at this point.
Hopefully with next's week cold we see the addition of the Barnyard learning area as well as Flying Yankee very soon.

Jully

I do worry a bit on whether Ragged has the off-hill infrastructure in place to handle the added volume that they have brought on themselves.
I think the terrain (when near or fully open) can support the volume but I worry about parking, lodge, lift queue design (6 pack), and F+B ops.

I'm headed there on Friday this week and will report back how conditions are.

I'm surprised given the massive snowmaking pond expansion that they are only blowing on 1 route at this point.
Hopefully with next's week cold we see the addition of the Barnyard learning area as well as Flying Yankee very soon.

I'm choosing to pass this weekend and use my last BW early season ticket. I'm a little worried about crowds with just one route and mostly just that Bretton has a lot more open.

Did you see the email to passholders? They mentioned that they have two base lodges and gave a small description of the base area. I think they are certainly trying. We will see how this plays out! Parking and lift queues worry me the most.

With the point about snowmaking do we know that they have the pumping/air capacity to blow much more than they currently do? I don't even know how many trails have fixed guns versus mobile units. If their pond was really that small previously, they might have just been looking for the ability to blow for longer.

I look forward to hearing how the conditions are! I'd love to see Flying Yankee open next weekend. I'm probably going up regardless, but that will become a definite if they get a few more trails like that open.

xwhaler

I'm choosing to pass this weekend and use my last BW early season ticket. I'm a little worried about crowds with just one route and mostly just that Bretton has a lot more open.

Did you see the email to passholders? They mentioned that they have two base lodges and gave a small description of the base area. I think they are certainly trying. We will see how this plays out! Parking and lift queues worry me the most.

With the point about snowmaking do we know that they have the pumping/air capacity to blow much more than they currently do? I don't even know how many trails have fixed guns versus mobile units. If their pond was really that small previously, they might have just been looking for the ability to blow for longer.

I look forward to hearing how the conditions are! I'd love to see Flying Yankee open next weekend. I'm probably going up regardless, but that will become a definite if they get a few more trails like that open.

I did see the e-mail and am interested to see how much they have cleaned up the Meetinghouse Lodge.
We'll be bringing food almost every time this yr with the family so if the Meetinghouse becomes an easier option we'll utilize that space as it's also closer to the Barnyard where my son will be with ski school.

Of course I do need to work off my Mug club tab (along with my wife's mug) so we'll be in Elmwood as well.

I'll let this thread know how things look on Friday. I'd think there is real motivation to get Yankee open ASAP as that is where the race team trains.

xwhaler

Ragged is really good today
6bbb0ab4397baa51ee052619cb20650b.jpg
20bf927dc3212c5d3ce0fcd51464cb7f.jpg
5bf9865699cfe19a3a6b35a9c5b439a8.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

bc23ce4693dbea2657736fe3695c6720.jpg

They did a great job getting open and offering a fantastic wall to wall product

More to come soon. Blowing T2B on Ridge to Village Green as well as the Barnyard and the lower section where Yankee dumps out

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app