• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mtn 2016-17 Season Thread

xwhaler

Figured Ragged deserves it's own thread!
I'm looking forward to being a passholder there this season. Anyone else get in on the low $ pass there?
Despite a low tide winter last yr what they made snow on was in fantastic shape and deep even later in March when most areas were cooked.

Some pretty exciting news to come out of Danbury last week!

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com/viewstory.php?storyid=478

xwhaler

I'd rather have the focus be on the positive that they are getting a loan and what could become of Ragged with this significant project rather than turning it political.
We have enough threads already on AZ that devolve into political arguments.

Whether we agree with the source of the loan is definitely up for debate but I'd like to know what folks think about the project itself.
Ragged is working hard to grow their brand and cheap passes and a significant snowmaking expansion definitely gets my attention.

Jully

I'd rather have the focus be on the positive that they are getting a loan and what could become of Ragged with this significant project rather than turning it political.
We have enough threads already on AZ that devolve into political arguments.

Whether we agree with the source of the loan is definitely up for debate but I'd like to know what folks think about the project itself.
Ragged is working hard to grow their brand and cheap passes and a significant snowmaking expansion definitely gets my attention.

Agreed. I also elected to pick up the cheap pass this year, so I'm pretty excited as well. I'd be even more impressed if they get it completed for the start of the season, but I'd suspect that this is even more paving the way for Pinnacle / future development.

becca m

yup - I got a cheap pass last spring - it's local for me and it's not my only season pass :) I will get my money's worth but when I want some steeps, I'll be elsewhere. I like their woods and they have good coverage... but when only the groomers are in play, you have to be creative to make it fun, like, practicing switch, working on tricks, and practicing other snowsports you aren't as good at :) like tele .

yeggous

I thought about that pass, but could not justify a fourth pass on top of the Peaks Pass, Jay, and MWV Sampler pass. I love Ragged. If I wasn't basing out of my ski club in North Conway, then I definitely would have grabbed that pass to ski from home. A Ragged and Wachusett or Crotched combo would be a winner.

MG Skier

The only reason I didn't ski there was due to the lack of water/snow. A few years back their glades were a blast. Lets hope mother nature does her part too.

Jully

I thought about that pass, but could not justify a fourth pass on top of the Peaks Pass, Jay, and MWV Sampler pass. I love Ragged. If I wasn't basing out of my ski club in North Conway, then I definitely would have grabbed that pass to ski from home. A Ragged and Wachusett or Crotched combo would be a winner.

I looked long at the Peaks pass, but opted for Ragged instead with then an extra couple hundred dollars to use to ski around with. Definitely took a gamble on the woods being in play, but I have hope.

Smellytele

I looked long at the Peaks pass, but opted for Ragged instead with then an extra couple hundred dollars to use to ski around with. Definitely took a gamble on the woods being in play, but I have hope.

I have skied there 7 or 8 times and the woods have never been open. I need to hit it when they are.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say in average year, the Ravine trees (main routes, not all) are open for about five weeks. Early February to Mid March. Other stuff like Devils Den much more frequently, but they are short. Fun, but short.

The snowmaking pond improvement project will be huge for Ragged. In my two years having a pass there my biggest complaint was slow early season terrain expansion. They appear to have addressed some of that in recent years with system upgrades, but the bigger pond should really guarantee a decent amount of terrain open for Xmas and MLK. Hopefully Birches gets in the regular rotation for snowmaking. It would make for a fun groomer and take some traffic away from Newfound Ridge and other main face slopes. Birches and Lower Sweepstakes are basically the same trail. As all natural trails they never get enough traffic to form good bumps. If lower Sweepstakes gets all the traffic for those wanting ungroomed, maybe that changes. Lord know Ragged and all of NH for that matter, could use more and better bumps.

xwhaler

The trees skiers left on Spear (Devil's Deb, The Abyss, Gobbler's Knob, Ridge Runner are pretty underrated in my book.
Every talks about the Ravine but some good tree skiing on that side as well.
Snowmaking improvements, good terrain on an easy drive and 2 high speed lifts servicing the mtn makes my $249 pass a no brainer.

dlague

I agree with most here. When the terrain exists of just groomers then it can get mundane. But there are some sweet trails to skiers left of Exhibition and a run from the top in the trees that is often closed it seems the past couple years. I hope the east gets snow so you pass holders can enjoy some of the best terrain. With all that being said, early snowmaking is key which they struggle with. Overall it can be a good cruising place lapping the faster chairs.

Newpylong

They did very well with the early season snowmaking last year - I believe it was 12/5, only a few days behind Sunapee and it was a good T2B run with Wild Side/Ride. They expanded slowly like everyone else. Ragged tends to bury trails before moving on. This water will only help.

xwhaler

Flying Yankee was absolutely buried during my last day there on 3/19. Where Ragged makes snow they do an outstanding job.
I'd love to see them skip blowing on Showboat and instead on Birches/Sweepstakes this yr.

Jully

They did very well with the early season snowmaking last year - I believe it was 12/5, only a few days behind Sunapee and it was a good T2B run with Wild Side/Ride. They expanded slowly like everyone else. Ragged tends to bury trails before moving on. This water will only help.

I really appreciate the bury approach to snowmaking. I like that about Wildcat too. I don't know what their capacity is in terms of pumping, but more water will be huge for just letting them blow for longer periods of time.

Jully

I'd say in average year, the Ravine trees (main routes, not all) are open for about five weeks. Early February to Mid March. Other stuff like Devils Den much more frequently, but they are short. Fun, but short.

The snowmaking pond improvement project will be huge for Ragged. In my two years having a pass there my biggest complaint was slow early season terrain expansion. They appear to have addressed some of that in recent years with system upgrades, but the bigger pond should really guarantee a decent amount of terrain open for Xmas and MLK. Hopefully Birches gets in the regular rotation for snowmaking. It would make for a fun groomer and take some traffic away from Newfound Ridge and other main face slopes. Birches and Lower Sweepstakes are basically the same trail. As all natural trails they never get enough traffic to form good bumps. If lower Sweepstakes gets all the traffic for those wanting ungroomed, maybe that changes. Lord know Ragged and all of NH for that matter, could use more and better bumps.

Sweepstakes, well more the upper half, but the lower half too, is such a great trail. Some good bumps would definitely make the time without trees a lot more enjoyable. I just don't know how many people even ski ungroomed at Ragged. Whenever I've been there seemed to be no one skiing those trails.

MG Skier

Ragged is my go to mountain when I have a "Snow Day". I agree, a new pond will be huge. Do they have the water supply to fill it? I am overdue for a hike up that way, I will look around when I get up there!

Newpylong

Flying Yankee was absolutely buried during my last day there on 3/19. Where Ragged makes snow they do an outstanding job.
I'd love to see them skip blowing on Showboat and instead on Birches/Sweepstakes this yr.

Agreed, it would be nice to see Birches get the love before Showboat but you're dealing with the in your face factor of that run and Birches is low key.

Sweepstakes down from the Ladies T is doable with a couple 75 footers through the woods from Birches if they really wanted to cover it with man made.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've said it before, but it's a shame they didn't leave lower Sweepstakes like the top. It would be awesome if it were that narrow and turny the whole way down