• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

North Conway info

yeggous

Has anyone gone to Houlihans, I've heard decent things but always forget to check it out.

Another place we go to is Tuckermans Inn in 16A. Does get mad busy on the weekends so we try to hit it earlier than not. Another good beer selection on draft.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tuckermans Tavern is great. I'm not a fan of Hooligans, but my buddy loves the place.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

prsboogie

Just got in at the Attitash Mountain Village and this place is PACKED! wholly shit. MWV is going to be a shit show this weekend/week!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

deadheadskier

Staff member
Attitash always gets super busy on holiday weekends. Not sure what the real attraction is outside of being close to North Conway.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
Other than the Summit triple sucking, there's a lot to offer at Attitash. It can be icy at times, but it has some of the steepest terrain in the state. There's substantial variety of long consistently pitched trails on both peaks. There are numerous trails there I really dig.

A warm day like today with 100% of terrain open was probably really fun.

I primarily ski Wildcat due to better snow at higher elevation, more off map stuff and a better lift, but I do think Attitash has some great terrain if you are fortunate enough to catch it when the snow is good.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Other than the Summit triple sucking, there's a lot to offer at Attitash. It can be icy at times, but it has some of the steepest terrain in the state. There's substantial variety of long consistently pitched trails on both peaks. There are numerous trails there I really dig.

A warm day like today with 100% of terrain open was probably really fun.

I primarily ski Wildcat due to better snow at higher elevation, more off map stuff and a better lift, but I do think Attitash has some great terrain if you are fortunate enough to catch it when the snow is good.

Today the snow was good although only took 2 runs on the main mountain. Stayed over at Bear peak besides that. The line for the triple sucked and the quad at the main peak is just way too short to get any substantial runs in off it.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Today the snow was good although only took 2 runs on the main mountain. Stayed over at Bear peak besides that. The line for the triple sucked and the quad at the main peak is just way too short to get any substantial runs in off it.
The quad is short, but the topography isn't there for it to go up higher. I do think it serves a purpose. It provides quick access to Spillway for racing and offers something for lower intermediate level skiers in Cathedral, Moat and Thad's. When bumps are good on Grand Stand it's good for lapping that too.

Where Id like to see a change operationally is giving up on Bear terrain parks and put the park on lower Ptarmigan, which I know they've used in the past. Mythmaker and Kachina are a waste of good cruising terrain as terrain parks.

And the big wish would be for a summit HSQ with expanded terrain off the top. If they could figure a way to extend Wilfred's all the way down to take pressure off Northwest Passage and maybe another trail off Upper Saco around the double chair top terminal that connects down to Ammonoosic.

These changes would really make Attitash shine.

snoseek

They need to stop grooming so excessively at Attitash. Tims trauma deserves bumps every so often at least. I agree its a steep hill with decent vert...it could be so much more IMO

Brad J

I assume so. I rode it a couple of years ago. I forget why it was running. I recall it being even slower than the triple. Basically the same ride time, but less vertical.

My understanding is that the Top Notch Double is done, Parts not available and they didn't certify or would not pass. would like a confirmation on this where I have an emotional attachment to that lift. I was 14 when it opened and that year was a break out year for my skiing (1969)

hammer

Will be in the N. Conway area this coming weekend. Given the weather and conditions where should we go skiing on Saturday?

Cheese

Dealing with the Top Notch double and Summit triple has always been challenging for top to bottom skiers. If Tim's, Idiots and upper Ptarmigan were accessible from a high speed quad the resort would be amazing. Trails accessible from the Flying Yankee like Grandstand, Moat, middle Ptarmigan, Whitehorse and Spillway actually offer some variety when lapping. Grandstand for bumps, Moat for cruising, Ptarmigan for a gnarly pitch, Whitehorse for off camber and Spillway for it's air time on the head wall and rollers.

Bear Peak has some nice terrain as well but if there's good snow in the natural area under the chair on Avenger, that's the place to be.

They probably groom more than they should but this is NE where refreeze happens frequently so bump trails could be left unskiable for weeks before new snow repairs the damage. The good news is they've accepted the "ski at your own risk" mentality when they're making snow so some of the best skiing can be found under the guns.

If you want more natural skiing just watch the forecast and head over to Wildcat when the temps and winds are favorable. Ignore the "Ungroomed Cliffs" warning at the entrance to Hairball and have a blast!

Rooms on the cheap can be found at North Colony Motel in Bartlett. They even have discounted tickets to Attitash/Wildcat.

hammer

Think we have about the worst weekend to go north...:-(

Saturday is our only choice for skiing, unless the cold/wind is terrible when we get up I think we will try Cranmore. Haven't been there in some time, we don't need challenging terrain, and FWIW I think it will have the most sun exposure.